The Demand for Calories in Turkey
This research examines dynamic causal relationships between per capita calorie intake, per capita income and food prices using time series data for Turkey during 1965-2007. ARDL cointegration analysis yields an income elasticity of calorie intake of 0.22, while the food-price elasticity is insignificant. The results suggest that economic growth in Turkey has improved calorie intake; future income growth can alleviate further inadequate nutrition. This result confirms Engel’s law too. An augmented form of Granger causality analysis is conducted amongst the variables. The short-run causality testing reveals the existence of only one causality which is running from income to calorie intake. The post-sample variance decompositions indicate that income is the main cause of the increased calorie intake in the long-run. The estimated long-run model appears to have stable parameters.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Halicioglu, Ferda, 2007.
"A Multivariate Causality Analysis of Export and Growth for Turkey,"
3565, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ferda Halicioglu, 2007. "A Multivariate Causality Analysis of Export and Growth for Turkey," EERI Research Paper Series EERI_RP_2007_05, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Gibson, John & Rozelle, Scott, 2000.
"How Elastic Is Calorie Demand? Parametric, Nonparametric, And Semiparametric Results For Urban Papua New Guinea,"
11961, University of California, Davis, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- J. Gibson & S. Rozelle, 2002. "How Elastic is Calorie Demand? Parametric, Nonparametric, and Semiparametric Results for Urban Papua New Guinea," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(6), pages 23-46.
- Zivot, Eric & Andrews, Donald W K, 1992.
"Further Evidence on the Great Crash, the Oil-Price Shock, and the Unit-Root Hypothesis,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 10(3), pages 251-70, July.
- Zivot, Eric & Andrews, Donald W K, 2002. "Further Evidence on the Great Crash, the Oil-Price Shock, and the Unit-Root Hypothesis," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 25-44, January.
- Eric Zivot & Donald W.K. Andrews, 1990. "Further Evidence on the Great Crash, the Oil Price Shock, and the Unit Root Hypothesis," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 944, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Tom Doan, . "ZIVOT: RATS procedure to perform Zivot-Andrews Unit Root Test," Statistical Software Components RTS00236, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Ahmet AY & Pınar YARDIMCI, 2007. "Türkiye’de içsel ekonomik büyüme ve teknolojik gelişmede dış ticaret ve beşeri sermayenin rolü (1963-2002): Pesaran’ın sınır testi ile bir eş-bütünleşme analizi," Iktisat Isletme ve Finans, Bilgesel Yayincilik, vol. 22(252), pages 99-115.
- Sahn, David E. & Alderman, Harold, 1988. "The effects of human capital on wages, and the determinants of labor supply in a developing country," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 157-183, September.
- Behrman, Jere R & Deolalikar, Anil B, 1987. "Will Developing Country Nutrition Improve with Income? A Case Study for Rural South India," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(3), pages 492-507, June.
- Erman ERBAYKAL & Dilek SÜREKÇİ, 2006. "İhracata dayalı büyüme hipotezinin Türkiye’de 1974-2004 dönemi için sınır (bound) testi yaklaşımı ile incelenmesi," Iktisat Isletme ve Finans, Bilgesel Yayincilik, vol. 21(249), pages 37-45.
- Harris Neeliah & Bhavani Shankar, 2008. "Is nutritional improvement a cause or a consequence of economic growth? Evidence from Mauritius," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 17(8), pages 1-11.
- Graham Elliott & Thomas J. Rothenberg & James H. Stock, 1992.
"Efficient Tests for an Autoregressive Unit Root,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0130, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Halicioglu, Ferda, 2011.
"Modeling life expectancy in Turkey,"
Elsevier, vol. 28(5), pages 2075-2082, September.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:17:y:2008:i:8:p:1-11 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bouis, Howarth E. & Haddad, Lawrence J., 1992. "Are estimates of calorie-income fxelasticities too high? : A recalibration of the plausible range," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 333-364, October.
- Richard Tiffin & P. J. Dawson, 2002. "The Demand for Calories: Some Further Estimates from Zimbabwe," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(2), pages 221-232.
- Strauss, John, 1984. "Joint determination of food consumption and production in rural Sierra Leone : Estimates of a household-firm model," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 77-103.
- Ogundari, Kolawole, 2011. "Estimating Demand for Nutrients in Nigeria: A Vector Error Correction Model," MPRA Paper 28930, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Subramanian, S. & Deaton, A., 1994.
"The Demand for Food and Calories,"
175, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Development Studies.
- Strauss, John, 1986. "Does Better Nutrition Raise Farm Productivity?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(2), pages 297-320, April.
- Philip J. Dawson & Richard Tiffin, 1998. "Estimating the Demand for Calories in India," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(3), pages 474-481.
- José M. Gil & Azucena Gracia & Ana M. Angulo, 2001. "articles: Calorie intake and income elasticities in EU countries: A convergence analysis using cointegration," Papers in Regional Science, Springer, vol. 80(2), pages 165-187.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1976. "The Efficiency Wage Hypothesis, Surplus Labour, and the Distribution of Income in L.D.C.s," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 28(2), pages 185-207, July.
- Behrman, Jere R. & Foster, Andrew D. & Rosenzweig, Mark R., 1997.
"The dynamics of agricultural production and the calorie-income relationship: Evidence from Pakistan,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 187-207, March.
- Jere Behrman & Mark Rosenzweig & Andrew D. Foster, . "The Dynamics of Agricultural Production and the Calorie-Income Relationship: Evidence from Pakistan," Home Pages _069, University of Pennsylvania.
- Strauss, J. & Thomas, D., 1995.
"Health, Nutrition and Economic development,"
95-23, RAND - Labor and Population Program.
- Paresh Kumar Narayan, 2005. "The saving and investment nexus for China: evidence from cointegration tests," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(17), pages 1979-1990.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1980. "Macroeconomics and Reality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 1-48, January.
- William E. Cole, 1971. "Investment in Nutrition as a Factor in the Economic Growth of Developing Countries," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 47(2), pages 139-149.
- P. J. Dawson & A. I. Sanjuan, 2011. "Calorie consumption and income: panel cointegration and causality evidence in developing countries," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(15), pages 1455-1461.
- Halicioglu, Ferda, 2008. "An Econometric Analysis of Aggregate Outbound Tourism Demand of Turkey," MPRA Paper 6765, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2008.
- Nilgün ÇİL YAVUZ & Burak GÜRİŞ & Burcu KIRAN, 2010. "Reel döviz kurunun dış ticaret dengesine etkisi: Türkiye için Marshall-Lerner koşulunun testi," Iktisat Isletme ve Finans, Bilgesel Yayincilik, vol. 25(287), pages 69-90.
- P. J. Dawson, 1997. "The demand for calories in developing countries," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(3), pages 361-369.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iif:iifjrn:v:27:y:2012:i:316:p:93-108. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ali Bilge)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.