Travel and activity time allocation: An empirical comparison between eight cities in Europe
A study of daily time allocation to travel and out-of-home activity is conducted across eight European cities over three countries: France (Lyon, Grenoble, Strasbourg and Rennes), Switzerland (Geneva, Bern and Zurich) and Belgium (Brussels), based on individual travel survey data collected between 1997 and 2006. The effects of socio-demographic, spatial context, transport availability and city-specific variables are investigated thanks to the Cox proportional hazard model. The results indicate that socio-demographic characteristics and city (or country) specific effect play a major role while residential density and proximity to high level road or public transport networks have a very limited impact on time budgets for travel and out-of-home activities.
Volume (Year): 18 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/30473/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Levinson, 1999.
"Space, money, life-stage, and the allocation of time,"
Springer, vol. 26(2), pages 141-171, May.
- David Levinson, 1999. "Space, Money, Life-stage, and the Allocation of Time," Working Papers 199902, University of Minnesota: Nexus Research Group.
- Tai-Yu Ma & Charles Raux & Eric Cornelis & Iragaël Joly, 2009. "multi-state non-homogeneous semi-markov model of daily activity type, timing and duration sequence," Post-Print halshs-00310900, HAL.
- Mokhtarian, Patricia L. & Chen, Cynthia, 2004. "TTB or not TTB, that is the question: a review and analysis of the empirical literature on travel time (and money) budgets," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 38(9-10), pages 643-675.
- Iragaël Joly, 2006. "Stability or regularity of the daily travel time in Lyon? Application of a duration model," Post-Print halshs-00004011, HAL.
- Timmermans, Harry & van der Waerden, Peter & Alves, Mario & Polak, John & Ellis, Scott & Harvey, Andrew S. & Kurose, Shigeyuki & Zandee, Rianne, 2002. "Time allocation in urban and transport settings: an international, inter-urban perspective," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 79-93, April.
- Bhat, Chandra R., 1996. "A generalized multiple durations proportional hazard model with an application to activity behavior during the evening work-to-home commute," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 465-480, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:trapol:v:18:y:2011:i:2:p:401-412. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.