Travel and activity time allocation: An empirical comparison between eight cities in Europe
A study of daily time allocation to travel and out-of-home activity is conducted across eight European cities over three countries: France (Lyon, Grenoble, Strasbourg and Rennes), Switzerland (Geneva, Bern and Zurich) and Belgium (Brussels), based on individual travel survey data collected between 1997 and 2006. The effects of socio-demographic, spatial context, transport availability and city-specific variables are investigated thanks to the Cox proportional hazard model. The results indicate that socio-demographic characteristics and city (or country) specific effect play a major role while residential density and proximity to high level road or public transport networks have a very limited impact on time budgets for travel and out-of-home activities.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Publication status:||Published in Transport Policy, Elsevier, 2011, 18 (2), pp. 401-412. <10.1016/j.tranpol.2010.11.004>|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00578085|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mokhtarian, Patricia L. & Chen, Cynthia, 2004. "TTB or not TTB, that is the question: a review and analysis of the empirical literature on travel time (and money) budgets," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 38(9-10), pages 643-675.
- Bhat, Chandra R., 1996. "A generalized multiple durations proportional hazard model with an application to activity behavior during the evening work-to-home commute," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 465-480, December.
- Timmermans, Harry & van der Waerden, Peter & Alves, Mario & Polak, John & Ellis, Scott & Harvey, Andrew S. & Kurose, Shigeyuki & Zandee, Rianne, 2002. "Time allocation in urban and transport settings: an international, inter-urban perspective," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 79-93, April.
- David Levinson, 1999.
"Space, Money, Life-stage, and the Allocation of Time,"
199902, University of Minnesota: Nexus Research Group.
- David Levinson, 1999. "Space, money, life-stage, and the allocation of time," Transportation, Springer, vol. 26(2), pages 141-171, May.
- Tai-Yu Ma & Charles Raux & Eric Cornelis & Iragaël Joly, 2/30. "multi-state non-homogeneous semi-markov model of daily activity type, timing and duration sequence," Post-Print halshs-00310900, HAL.
- Iragaël Joly, 2006. "Stability or regularity of the daily travel time in Lyon? Application of a duration model," Post-Print halshs-00004011, HAL.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:halshs-00578085. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.