A propos de la capacité à survivre des coopératives : une étude de la relation entre âge et mortalité des organisations coopératives agricoles françaises
(article en français) Numerous works in industrial organization and ecology of organizations have raised recently the question of the link between age and mortality of an organization. The paper tests four theoretical propositions about this link. We compare the survival of the French agricultural cooperatives with their competitors. We apply a semiparametric duration model for discrete time (cloglog) taking into account unobserved heterogeneity and isolating the age and the period effects. The study shows the specific temporal dynamics of cooperatives. Some explanations of this result are derived from insights on the competition between organizations.
Volume (Year): 92 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 4, Allée Adolphe Bobierre, CS 61103, 35011 Rennes Cedex|
Web page: http://www.necplus.eu/action/displayJournal?jid=RAE
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael T. Hannan, 2005. "Ecologies of Organizations: Diversity and Identity," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 19(1), pages 51-70, Winter.
- Elena Cefis & Orietta Marsili, 2005.
"A Matter of Life and Death: Innovation and Firm Survival,"
LEM Papers Series
2005/01, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Elena Cefis & Orietta Marsili, 2005. "A matter of life and death: innovation and firm survival," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 14(6), pages 1167-1192, December.
- Cefis, E. & Marsili, O., 2004. "A Matter of Life and Death: Innovation and Firm Survival," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2004-109-ORG, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Francesca Gagliardi, 2009. "Financial development and the growth of cooperative firms," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 32(2), pages 231-231, February.
- Manuel Núñez-Nickel & José Moyano-Fuentes, 2004. "Ownership Structure of Cooperatives as an Environmental Buffer," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(7), pages 1131-1152, November.
- Geroski, Paul A, 2000.
"Exploring the Niche Overlaps Between Organizational Ecology and Industrial Economics,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2649, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Geroski, P A, 2001. "Exploring the Niche Overlaps between Organizational Ecology and Industrial Economics," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(2), pages 507-540, June.
- Geroski, P. A., 1995. "What do we know about entry?," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 421-440, December.
- Tal Simons & Paul Ingram, 2004. "An ecology of ideology: theory and evidence from four populations," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(1), pages 33-59, February.
- Silviano Esteve-Pérez & Amparo Sanchis-Llopis & Juan Sanchis-Llopis, 2010. "A competing risks analysis of firms’ exit," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 38(2), pages 281-304, April.
- German Rodriguez & Irma Elo, 2003. "Intra-class correlation in random-effects models for binary data," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 3(1), pages 32-46, March.
- Silviano Pérez & Amparo Llopis & Juan Llopis, 2004. "The Determinants of Survival of Spanish Manufacturing Firms," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 25(3), pages 251-273, 08.
- Kyriakos Drivas & Konstantinos Giannakas, 2010. "The Effect of Cooperatives on Quality-Enhancing Innovation," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(2), pages 295-317.
- P.A. Geroski & José Mata & Pedro Portugal, 2007.
"Founding Conditions and the Survival of New Firms,"
DRUID Working Papers
07-11, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Ornella Maietta & Vania Sena, 2008. "Is competition really bad news for cooperatives? Some empirical evidence for Italian producers’ cooperatives," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 221-233, June.
- Iragaël Joly, 2006. "Stability or regularity of the daily travel time in Lyon? Application of a duration model," Post-Print halshs-00004011, HAL.
- Boyan Jovanovic, 2001. "Fitness and Age: Review of Carroll and Hannan's Demography of Corporations and Industries," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 39(1), pages 105-119, March.
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1982. "Selection and the Evolution of Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 649-670, May.
- David Martimort, 1999. "The Life Cycle of Regulatory Agencies: Dynamic Capture and Transaction Costs," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 66(4), pages 929-947.
- Michael Fritsch & Oliver Falck & Udo Brixy, 2004.
"The Effect of Industry, Region and Time on New Business Survival - A Multi-Dimensional Analysis,"
Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy
2004-31, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Fritsch, Michael & Brixy, Udo & Falck, Oliver, 2004. "The effect of industry, region and time on new business survival: A multi-dimensional analysis," Passauer Diskussionspapiere, Volkswirtschaftliche Reihe V-26-04, University of Passau, Faculty of Business and Economics.
- Fritsch, Michael & Brixy, Udo & Falck, Oliver, 2004. "The effect of industry, region and time on new business survival: A multi-dimensional analysis," Freiberg Working Papers 2004,04, TU Bergakademie Freiberg, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Brixy, Udo & Falck, Oliver & Fritsch, Michael, 2006. "The effect of industry, region, and time on new business survival - A multi-dimensional analysis," Munich Reprints in Economics 20195, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Silviano Esteve-Pérez & Juan Mañez-Castillejo, 2008. "The Resource-Based Theory of the Firm and Firm Survival," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 30(3), pages 231-249, March.
- Richard Ericson & Ariel Pakes, 1995. "Markov-Perfect Industry Dynamics: A Framework for Empirical Work," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 62(1), pages 53-82.
- Francesca Gagliardi, 2009. "Financial development and the growth of cooperative firms," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 32(4), pages 439-464, April.
- Michael E. Sykuta & Michael L. Cook, 2001. "A New Institutional Economics Approach to Contracts and Cooperatives," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(5), pages 1273-1279.
- Hovelaque, Vincent & Duvaleix-Tréguer, Sabine & Cordier, Jean, 2009. "Effects of constrained supply and price contracts on agricultural cooperatives," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 199(3), pages 769-780, December.
- Williamson, Oliver E, 1991. "Economic Institutions: Spontaneous and Intentional Governance," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 7(0), pages 159-187, Special I.
- Michael T. Hannan & James N. Baron & Greta Hsu & Ozgecan Koçak, 2006. "Organizational identities and the hazard of change," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 15(5), pages 755-784, October.
- Mata, Jose & Portugal, Pedro, 1994. "Life Duration of New Firms," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(3), pages 227-245, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rae:jourae:v:92:y:2011:i:3:p:259-289. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nathalie Saux-Nogues)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.