Age and productivity as determinants of firm survival over the product life cycle
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Mata, Jose & Portugal, Pedro, 1994. "Life Duration of New Firms," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(3), pages 227-245, September.
- Richard Ericson & Ariel Pakes, 1995. "Markov-Perfect Industry Dynamics: A Framework for Empirical Work," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 62(1), pages 53-82.
- Elena Cefis & Orietta Marsili, 2005.
"A matter of life and death: innovation and firm survival,"
Industrial and Corporate Change,
Oxford University Press, vol. 14(6), pages 1167-1192, December.
- Cefis, E. & Marsili, O., 2004. "A Matter of Life and Death: Innovation and Firm Survival," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2004-109-ORG, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Elena Cefis & Orietta Marsili, 2005. "A Matter of Life and Death: Innovation and Firm Survival," LEM Papers Series 2005/01, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Coad, Alex & Frankish, Julian & Roberts, Richard G. & Storey, David J., 2013.
"Growth paths and survival chances: An application of Gambler's Ruin theory,"
Journal of Business Venturing,
Elsevier, vol. 28(5), pages 615-632.
- Coad, Alex & Frankish, Julian & Roberts, Richard & Storey, David, 2014. "Growth Paths and Survival Chances: An Application of Gambler's Ruin Theory," Ratio Working Papers 204, The Ratio Institute.
- Giorgio Barba Navaretti & Davide Castellani & Fabio Pieri, 2014.
"Age and firm growth: evidence from three European countries,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 43(4), pages 823-837, December.
- Giorgio Barba Navaretti & Davide Castellani & Fabio Pieri, 2012. "Age and firm growth. Evidence from three European countries," Working Papers 1217, Department of Applied Economics II, Universidad de Valencia.
- Navaretti , Giorgio Barba & Castellani , Davide & Pieri , Fabio, 2013. "Age and firm growth. Evidence from three European countries," Papers in Innovation Studies 2013/41, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
- Silviano Esteve-Pérez & Juan Mañez-Castillejo, 2008. "The Resource-Based Theory of the Firm and Firm Survival," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 30(3), pages 231-249, March.
- Frank Neffke & Martin Henning & Ron Boschma & Karl-Johan Lundquist & Lars-Olof Olander, 2011. "The Dynamics of Agglomeration Externalities along the Life Cycle of Industries," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(1), pages 49-65.
- Pedro Portugal & José Mata, 2001. "The Survival of New Domestic and Foreign Owned Firms," Working Papers w200101, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Enrico Santarelli & Marco Vivarelli, 2007.
"Entrepreneurship and the process of firms’ entry, survival and growth,"
Industrial and Corporate Change,
Oxford University Press, vol. 16(3), pages 455-488, June.
- Santarelli, Enrico & Vivarelli, Marco, 2006. "Entrepreneurship and the Process of Firms’ Entry, Survival and Growth," IZA Discussion Papers 2475, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- Evans, David S, 1987.
"The Relationship between Firm Growth, Size, and Age: Estimates for 100 Manufacturing Industries,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(4), pages 567-581, June.
- Evans, David S., 1986. "The Relationship Between Firm Growth, Size, and Age: Estimates for 100 Manufacturing Industries," Working Papers 86-33, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1982. "Selection and the Evolution of Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 649-670, May.
- Mata, Jose & Portugal, Pedro & Guimaraes, Paulo, 1995.
"The survival of new plants: Start-up conditions and post-entry evolution,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 459-481, December.
- Guimaraes, Paulo & Mata, José & Portugal, Pedro, 1995. "The Survival of New Plants: Start-up Conditions and Post-entry Evolution," CEPR Discussion Papers 1203, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jacquemin, Alexis P & Berry, Charles H, 1979. "Entropy Measure of Diversification and Corporate Growth," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(4), pages 359-369, June.
- Steven Klepper, 2002. "Firm Survival and the Evolution of Oligopoly," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 33(1), pages 37-61, Spring.
- JosÈ Mata & Pedro Portugal, 2004.
"Patterns of Entry, Post-Entry Growth and Survival: A Comparison Between Domestic and Foreign Owned Firms,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 22(3_4), pages 283-298, April.
- Pedro Portugal & José Mata, 2002. "Patterns of Entry, Post-Entry Growth and Survival: A Comparison Between Domestic and Foreign Owned Firms," Working Papers w200204, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- George J. Stigler, 1951. "The Division of Labor is Limited by the Extent of the Market," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 59, pages 185-185.
- Hall, Bronwyn H, 1987.
"The Relationship between Firm Size and Firm Growth in the U.S. Manufacturing Sector,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(4), pages 583-606, June.
- Bronwyn H. Hall, 1986. "The Relationship Between Firm Size and Firm Growth in the U.S. Manufacturing Sector," NBER Working Papers 1965, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jungho Kim & Chang-Yang Lee, 2011. "Technological regimes and the persistence of first-mover advantages," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 20(5), pages 1305-1333, October.
- Audretsch, David B & Mahmood, Talat, 1995. "New Firm Survival: New Results Using a Hazard Function," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 77(1), pages 97-103, February.
- Cefis, Elena & Marsili, Orietta, 2006. "Survivor: The role of innovation in firms' survival," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 626-641, June.
- Audretsch, David B, 1991. "New-Firm Survival and the Technological Regime," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(3), pages 441-450, August.
- Gort, Michael & Klepper, Steven, 1982. "Time Paths in the Diffusion of Product Innovations," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(367), pages 630-653, September.
- Klepper, Steven, 1996. "Entry, Exit, Growth, and Innovation over the Product Life Cycle," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(3), pages 562-583, June.
- Geroski, P. A., 1995. "What do we know about entry?," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 421-440, December.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Giovanni Dosi & Emanuele Pugliese & Pietro Santoleri, 2017. "Growth and survival of the `fitter'? Evidence from US new-born firms," LEM Papers Series 2017/06, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
More about this item
KeywordsProduct life cycle; firm survival; Spanish manufacturing firms; discrete time survival methods;
- C41 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Duration Analysis; Optimal Timing Strategies
- L10 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - General
- L60 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - General
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-BEC-2015-05-02 (Business Economics)
- NEP-COM-2015-05-02 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-EFF-2015-05-02 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-ENT-2015-05-02 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-SBM-2015-05-02 (Small Business Management)
- NEP-TID-2015-05-02 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eec:wpaper:1502. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vicente Esteve). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/dsvales.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.