Value at risk estimation with entropy-based wavelet analysis in exchange markets
In recent years, exchange markets are increasingly integrated together. Fluctuations and risks across different exchange markets exhibit co-moving and complex dynamics. In this paper we propose the entropy-based multivariate wavelet based approaches to analyze the multiscale characteristic in the multidimensional domain and improve further the Value at Risk estimation reliability. Wavelet analysis has been introduced to construct the entropy-based Multiscale Portfolio Value at Risk estimation algorithm to account for the multiscale dynamic correlation. The entropy measure has been proposed as the more effective measure with the error minimization principle to select the best basis when determining the wavelet families and the decomposition level to use. The empirical studies conducted in this paper have provided positive evidence as to the superior performance of the proposed approach, using the closely related Chinese Renminbi and European Euro exchange market.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 408 (2014)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/physica-a-statistical-mechpplications/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Antonakakis, Nikolaos, 2012.
"Exchange return co-movements and volatility spillovers before and after the introduction of Euro,"
37869, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Antonakakis, Nikolaos, 2012. "Exchange return co-movements and volatility spillovers before and after the introduction of euro," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 1091-1109.
- Nikolaos Antonakakis, 2012. "Exchange Return Co-movements and Volatility Spillovers Before and After the Introduction of Euro," FIW Working Paper series 080, FIW.
- Peter Reinhard HANSEN & Allan TIMMERMANN, 2012.
"Choice of Sample Split in Out-of-Sample Forecast Evaluation,"
Economics Working Papers
ECO2012/10, European University Institute.
- Peter Reinhard Hansen & Allan Timmermann, 2012. "Choice of Sample Split in Out-of-Sample Forecast Evaluation," CREATES Research Papers 2012-43, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Reboredo, Juan C. & Rivera-Castro, Miguel A., 2013. "A wavelet decomposition approach to crude oil price and exchange rate dependence," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 32(C), pages 42-57.
- Chia-Lin Chang & Michael McAleer & Roengchai Tansuchat, 2010.
"Analyzing and Forecasting Volatility Spillovers, Asymmetries and Hedging in Major Oil Markets,"
Working Papers in Economics
10/19, University of Canterbury, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Chang, Chia-Lin & McAleer, Michael & Tansuchat, Roengchai, 2010. "Analyzing and forecasting volatility spillovers, asymmetries and hedging in major oil markets," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 1445-1455, November.
- Tiwari, Aviral Kumar & Dar, Arif Billah & Bhanja, Niyati, 2013. "Oil price and exchange rates: A wavelet based analysis for India," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 31(C), pages 414-422.
- Jongen, Ron & Verschoor, Willem F.C. & Wolff, Christian C.P. & Zwinkels, Remco C.J., 2012. "Explaining dispersion in foreign exchange expectations: A heterogeneous agent approach," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 719-735.
- Rombouts, J.V.K. & Verbeek, M.J.C.M., 2009.
"Evaluating Portfolio Value-At-Risk Using Semi-Parametric GARCH Models,"
ERIM Report Series Research in Management
ERS-2004-107-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Jeroen Rombouts & Marno Verbeek, 2009. "Evaluating portfolio Value-at-Risk using semi-parametric GARCH models," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(6), pages 737-745.
- Jeroen V.K. Rombouts & Marno Verbeek, 2004. "Evaluating Portfolio Value-at-Risk using Semi-Parametric GARCH Models," Cahiers de recherche 04-14, HEC Montréal, Institut d'économie appliquée.
- Marno Verbeek & Jeroen VK Rombouts, 2005. "Evaluating Portfolio Value-at-Risk using Semi-Parametric GARCH Models," Computing in Economics and Finance 2005 40, Society for Computational Economics.
- Gencay, Ramazan & Selcuk, Faruk & Ulugulyagci, Abdurrahman, 2003. "High volatility, thick tails and extreme value theory in value-at-risk estimation," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 337-356, October.
- Lanza, Alessandro & Manera, Matteo & McAleer, Michael, 2006.
"Modeling dynamic conditional correlations in WTI oil forward and futures returns,"
Finance Research Letters,
Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 114-132, June.
- Matteo Manera & Alessandro Lanza & Michael McAleer, 2004. "Modelling Dynamic Conditional Correlations in WTI Oil Forward and Futures Returns," Working Papers 2004.72, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Reboredo, Juan C., 2012. "Modelling oil price and exchange rate co-movements," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 419-440.
- Engle, Robert, 2002. "Dynamic Conditional Correlation: A Simple Class of Multivariate Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(3), pages 339-50, July.
- Wu, Chih-Chiang & Chung, Huimin & Chang, Yu-Hsien, 2012. "The economic value of co-movement between oil price and exchange rate using copula-based GARCH models," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 270-282.
- Hommes, Cars, 2011.
"The heterogeneous expectations hypothesis: Some evidence from the lab,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 1-24, January.
- Hommes, C.H., 2010. "The Heterogeneous Expectations Hypothesis: Some Evidence from the Lab," CeNDEF Working Papers 10-06, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Cars Hommes, 2010. "The heterogeneous expectations hypothesis: some evidence from the lab," Post-Print hal-00753041, HAL.
- Cifter, Atilla, 2011. "Value-at-risk estimation with wavelet-based extreme value theory: Evidence from emerging markets," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 390(12), pages 2356-2367.
- Zmeskal, Zdenek, 2005. "Value at risk methodology of international index portfolio under soft conditions (fuzzy-stochastic approach)," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 263-275.
- He, Kaijian & Yu, Lean & Lai, Kin Keung, 2012. "Crude oil price analysis and forecasting using wavelet decomposed ensemble model," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 564-574.
- Wang, Yudong & Wu, Chongfeng, 2012. "Forecasting energy market volatility using GARCH models: Can multivariate models beat univariate models?," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 2167-2181.
- Lukas Vacha & Jozef Barunik, 2012.
"Co-movement of energy commodities revisited: Evidence from wavelet coherence analysis,"
- Vacha, Lukas & Barunik, Jozef, 2012. "Co-movement of energy commodities revisited: Evidence from wavelet coherence analysis," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 241-247.
- Yuan-Hung Hsu Ku & Jai Jen Wang, 2008. "Estimating portfolio value-at-risk via dynamic conditional correlation MGARCH model - an empirical study on foreign exchange rates," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(7), pages 533-538.
- Mark Salmon & Roman Kozhan, 2008.
"Uncertainty Aversion in a Heterogeneous AgentModel of Foreign Exchange Rate Formation,"
wp08-05, Warwick Business School, Finance Group.
- Kozhan, Roman & Salmon, Mark, 2009. "Uncertainty aversion in a heterogeneous agent model of foreign exchange rate formation," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 1106-1122, May.
- Kozaki, M. & Sato, A.-H., 2008. "Application of the Beck model to stock markets: Value-at-Risk and portfolio risk assessment," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 387(5), pages 1225-1246.
- Muller, Ulrich A. & Dacorogna, Michel M. & Dave, Rakhal D. & Olsen, Richard B. & Pictet, Olivier V. & von Weizsacker, Jacob E., 1997. "Volatilities of different time resolutions -- Analyzing the dynamics of market components," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 4(2-3), pages 213-239, June.
- Orlov, Alexei G., 2009. "A cospectral analysis of exchange rate comovements during Asian financial crisis," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 742-758, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:phsmap:v:408:y:2014:i:c:p:62-71. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.