Management of school locations allowing for free school choice
Nearly without exception, we find in literature (school) location models with exogenously given demand. Indeed, we know from a large number of empirical studies that this assumption is unrealistic. Therefore, we propose a discrete location model for school network planning with free school choice that is based on simulated utility values for a large average sample. The objective is to maximize the standardized expected utility of all students taking into account capacity constraints and a given budget for the school network. The utility values of each student for the schools are derived from a random utility model (RUM). The proposed approach is general in terms of the RUM used. Moreover, we do not have to make assumptions about the functional form of the demand function. Our approach, which combines econometric and mathematical methods, is a linear 0–1 program although we consider endogenous demand by a highly non-linear function. The proposed program enables practicing managers to consider student demand adequately within their decision making. By a numerical investigation we show that this approach enables us to solve instances of real size optimally – or at least close to optimality – within few minutes using GAMS/Cplex.
Volume (Year): 41 (2013)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Min, Hokey, 1987. "A multiobjective retail service location model for fastfood restaurants," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 15(5), pages 429-441.
- Bliemer, Michiel C.J. & Rose, John M., 2010. "Construction of experimental designs for mixed logit models allowing for correlation across choice observations," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 44(6), pages 720-734, July.
- Kingsley E. Haynes & Stewart Fotheringham, 1990. "The Impact of Space on the Application Of Discrete Choice Models," The Review of Regional Studies, Southern Regional Science Association, vol. 20(2), pages 39-49, Spring.
- Lemberg, David S. & Church, Richard L., 2000. "The school boundary stability problem over time," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 159-176, September.
- Albareda-Sambola, Maria & Fernández, Elena & Saldanha-da-Gama, Francisco, 2011. "The facility location problem with Bernoulli demands," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 335-345, June.
- Charles ReVelle & Alan T. Murray & Daniel Serra, 2004.
"Location models for ceding market share and shrinking services,"
Economics Working Papers
753, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- ReVelle, Charles & Murray, Alan T. & Serra, Daniel, 2007. "Location models for ceding market share and shrinking services," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 533-540, October.
- Brownstone, David & Train, Kenneth, 1998.
"Forecasting new product penetration with flexible substitution patterns,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 89(1-2), pages 109-129, November.
- Brownstone, David & Train, Kenneth, 1999. "Forecasting new product penetration with flexible substitution patterns," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt3tb6j874, University of California Transportation Center.
- Brownstone, David & Train, Kenneth, 1999. "Forecasting new product penetration with flexible substitution patterns," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt1j6814b3, University of California Transportation Center.
- Redondo, Juana L. & Fernández, José & Arrondo, Aránzazu G. & García, Inmaculada & Ortigosa, Pilar M., 2012. "Fixed or variable demand? Does it matter when locating a facility?," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 9-20, January.
- ANTUNES, Antonio & PEETERS, Dominique, .
"A dynamic optimization model for school network planning,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1440, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Antunes, Antonio & Peeters, Dominique, 2000. "A dynamic optimization model for school network planning," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 101-120, June.
- Justine S. Hastings & Thomas J. Kane & Douglas O. Staiger, 2005.
"Parental Preferences and School Competition: Evidence from a Public School Choice Program,"
NBER Working Papers
11805, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hastings, Justine S. & Kane, Thomas J. & Staiger, Douglas O., 2005. "Parental Preferences and School Competition: Evidence from a Public School Choice Program," Working Papers 10, Yale University, Department of Economics.
- Marianov, Vladimir & Ríos, Miguel & Icaza, Manuel José, 2008. "Facility location for market capture when users rank facilities by shorter travel and waiting times," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 191(1), pages 32-44, November.
- Timmermans, Harry & Borgers, Aloys & van der Waerden, Peter, 1991. "Mother logit analysis of substitution effects in consumer shopping destination choice," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 311-323, December.
- Sven MÃ¼ller & Knut Haase & Sascha Kless, 2009. "A Multiperiod School Location Planning Approach with Free School Choice," Environment and Planning A, SAGE Publishing, vol. 41(12), pages 2929-2945, December.
- R L Church & O B Schoepfle, 1993. "The choice alternative to school assignment," Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 20(4), pages 447-457, July.
- Kenneth Train, 2003.
"Discrete Choice Methods with Simulation,"
Online economics textbooks,
SUNY-Oswego, Department of Economics, number emetr2, December.
- Sven Müller & Knut Haase & Sascha Kless, 2009. "A multiperiod school location planning approach with free school choice," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 41(12), pages 2929-2945, December.
- Daniel McFadden & Kenneth Train, 2000. "Mixed MNL models for discrete response," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(5), pages 447-470.
- Pelegrín, Blas & Fernández, Pascual & Dolores García Pérez, María & Cano Hernández, Saúl, 2012. "On the location of new facilities for chain expansion under delivered pricing," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 149-158, April.
- Lankford R. H. & Lee E. S. & Wyckoff J. H., 1995. "An Analysis of Elementary and Secondary School Choice," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 236-251, September.
- R L Church & O B Schoepfle, 1993. "The Choice Alternative to School Assignment," Environment and Planning B, SAGE Publishing, vol. 20(4), pages 447-457, August.
- Daniel Serra & Rosa Colomé, 2001. "articles: Consumer choice and optimal locations models: Formulations and heuristics," Papers in Regional Science, Springer;Regional Science Association International, vol. 80(4), pages 439-464.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:41:y:2013:i:5:p:847-855. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.