Reforming reimbursement of public hospitals in Greece during the economic crisis: Implementation of a DRG system
Until recently, in-patient NHS hospital care in Greece was reimbursed via an anachronistic and under-priced retrospective per diem system, which has been held primarily responsible for continuous budget deficits. The purpose of this paper is to present the efforts of the Ministry of Health (MoH) to implement a new DRG-based payment system.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Epstein & Anne Mason, 2006. "Costs and prices for inpatient care in England: Mirror twins or distant cousins?," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 233-242, August.
- Fernando Sánchez-Martínez & José-María Abellán-Perpiñán & Jorge-Eduardo Martínez-Pérez & Jaume Puig-Junoy, 2006. "Cost accounting and public reimbursement schemes in Spanish hospitals," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 225-232, August.
- Elias Mossialos & Sara Allin & Konstantina Davaki, 2005. "Analysing the Greek health system: a tale of fragmentation and inertia," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(S1), pages 151-168.
- Jonas Schreyögg & Oliver Tiemann & Reinhard Busse, 2006. "Cost accounting to determine prices: How well do prices reflect costs in the German DRG-system?," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 269-279, August.
- Leemore S. Dafny, 2005. "How Do Hospitals Respond to Price Changes?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(5), pages 1525-1547, December.
- Hamada, Hironori & Sekimoto, Miho & Imanaka, Yuichi, 2012. "Effects of the per diem prospective payment system with DRG-like grouping system (DPC/PDPS) on resource usage and healthcare quality in Japan," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 107(2), pages 194-201.
- Peter Gaal & Nóra Stefka & Júlia Nagy, 2006. "Cost accounting methodologies in price setting of acute inpatient services in Hungary," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 243-250, August.
- Adam Kozierkiewicz & Maciej Stamirski & Waldemar Stylo & Wojciech Trąbka, 2006. "The definition of prices for inpatient care in Poland in the absence of cost data," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 281-286, August.
- Anni Ankjær-Jensen & Pernille Rosling & Lone Bilde, 2006. "Variable prospective financing in the Danish hospital sector and the development of a Danish case-mix system," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 259-268, August.
- Ghaffari, Shahram & Jackson, Terri J. & Doran, Christopher M. & Wilson, Andrew & Aisbett, Chris, 2008. "Describing Iranian hospital activity using Australian Refined DRGs: A case study of the Iranian Social Security Organisation," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 63-71, July.
- Reinhard Busse & Jonas Schreyögg & Peter Smith, 2006. "Editorial: Hospital case payment systems in Europe," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 211-213, August.
- Reinhard Busse & Jonas Schreyögg & Peter C. Smith, 2008. "Variability in healthcare treatment costs amongst nine EU countries - results from the Health BASKET project," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(S1), pages 1-8.
- Conrad Kobel & Josselin Thuilliez & Martine Bellanger & Karl-Peter Pfeiffer, 2011. "DRG systems and similar patient classification systems in Europe," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00643049, HAL.
- Cutler, David M, 1995.
"The Incidence of Adverse Medical Outcomes under Prospective Payment,"
Econometric Society, vol. 63(1), pages 29-50, January.
- Cutler, D.M., 1992. "The Incidence of Adverse Medical Outcome Under Prospective Payment," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1603, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- David M. Cutler, 1993. "The Incidence of Adverse Medical Outcomes Under Prospective Payments," NBER Working Papers 4300, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martine Bellanger & Laurent Tardif, 2006. "Accounting and reimbursement schemes for inpatient care in France," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 295-305, August.
- Elizabeth Docteur & Howard Oxley, 2003. "Health-Care Systems: Lessons from the Reform Experience," OECD Health Working Papers 9, OECD Publishing.
- Elizabeth Docteur & Howard Oxley, 2003. "Health-Care Systems: Lessons from the Reform Experience," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 374, OECD Publishing.
- J. Oostenbrink & F. Rutten, 2006. "Cost assessment and price setting of inpatient care in the Netherlands. The DBC case-mix system," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 287-294, August.
- Kutzin, Joseph, 2001. "A descriptive framework for country-level analysis of health care financing arrangements," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 171-204, June.
- Giovanni Fattore & Aleksandra Torbica, 2006. "Inpatient reimbursement system in Italy: How do tariffs relate to costs?," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 251-258, August. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:hepoli:v:109:y:2013:i:1:p:14-22. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)or ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.