The effects of upcoding, cream skimming and readmissions on the Italian hospitals efficiency: a population–based investigation
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Berta, Paolo & Callea, Giuditta & Martini, Gianmaria & Vittadini, Giorgio, 2010. "The effects of upcoding, cream skimming and readmissions on the Italian hospitals efficiency: A population-based investigation," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 812-821, July.
References listed on IDEAS
- Christensen, Laurits R & Jorgenson, Dale W & Lau, Lawrence J, 1973. "Transcendental Logarithmic Production Frontiers," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 55(1), pages 28-45, February.
- George W. Wilson & Joseph M. Jadlow, 1982. "Competition, Profit Incentives, and Technical Efficiency in the Provision of Nuclear Medicine Services," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 13(2), pages 472-482, Autumn.
- Willam Greene, 2005.
"Fixed and Random Effects in Stochastic Frontier Models,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 23(1), pages 7-32, January.
- William Greene, 2002. "Fixed and Random Effects in Stochastic Frontier Models," Working Papers 02-16, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Leemore S. Dafny, 2005. "How Do Hospitals Respond to Price Changes?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(5), pages 1525-1547, December.
- Zuckerman, Stephen & Hadley, Jack & Iezzoni, Lisa, 1994. "Measuring hospital efficiency with frontier cost functions," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 255-280, October.
- Gian Paolo Barbetta & Gilberto Turati & Angelo M. Zago, 2007.
"Behavioral differences between public and private not-for-profit hospitals in the Italian national health service,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(1), pages 75-96.
- Gian Paolo Barbetta & Gilberto Turati & Angelo Zago, 2004. "Behavioral Differences Between Public and Private Not-For-Profit Hospitals in the Italian National Health Service," Working Papers 12/2004, University of Verona, Department of Economics.
- Cutler, David M, 1995.
"The Incidence of Adverse Medical Outcomes under Prospective Payment,"
Econometric Society, vol. 63(1), pages 29-50, January.
- Cutler, D.M., 1992. "The Incidence of Adverse Medical Outcome Under Prospective Payment," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1603, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- David M. Cutler, 1993. "The Incidence of Adverse Medical Outcomes Under Prospective Payments," NBER Working Papers 4300, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jaume Puig-Junoy, 1998. "Technical efficiency in the clinical management of critically ill patients," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(3), pages 263-277.
- Donald F. Vitaliano & Mark Toren, 1996. "Hospital Cost and Efficiency in a Regime of Stringent Regulation," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 22(2), pages 161-175, Spring.
- Sloan, Frank A., 2000. "Not-for-profit ownership and hospital behavior," Handbook of Health Economics,in: A. J. Culyer & J. P. Newhouse (ed.), Handbook of Health Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 21, pages 1141-1174 Elsevier.
- Pitt, Mark M. & Lee, Lung-Fei, 1981. "The measurement and sources of technical inefficiency in the Indonesian weaving industry," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 43-64, August.
- Ellis, Randall P., 1998. "Creaming, skimping and dumping: provider competition on the intensive and extensive margins1," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 537-555, October.
- Silverman, Elaine & Skinner, Jonathan, 2004. "Medicare upcoding and hospital ownership," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 369-389, March.
- Barros, Pedro Pita, 2003. "Cream-skimming, incentives for efficiency and payment system," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 419-443, May.
- Kosuke Imai & Gary King & Elizabeth A. Stuart, 2008. "Misunderstandings between experimentalists and observationalists about causal inference," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 171(2), pages 481-502.
- Krishnan, Ranjani, 2001. "Market restructuring and pricing in the hospital industry," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 213-237, March.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Greene, William, 2005. "Reconsidering heterogeneity in panel data estimators of the stochastic frontier model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 269-303, June.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Rosella Levaggi & Marcello Montefiori, 2013. "Patient selection in a mixed oligopoly market for health care: the role of the soft budget constraint," International Review of Economics, Springer;Happiness Economics and Interpersonal Relations (HEIRS), vol. 60(1), pages 49-70, March.
- repec:kap:hcarem:v:20:y:2017:i:3:d:10.1007_s10729-016-9359-1 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:ctc:serie1:def9 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hailu, Kidanemariam Berhe & Tanaka, Makoto, 2015. "A “true” random effects stochastic frontier analysis for technical efficiency and heterogeneity: Evidence from manufacturing firms in Ethiopia," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 50(C), pages 179-192.
- Thomas Czypionka & Markus Kraus & Susanne Mayer & Gerald Röhrling, 2014. "Efficiency, ownership, and financing of hospitals: The case of Austria," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 17(4), pages 331-347, December.
- Guccio, Calogero & Lisi, Domenico & Pignataro, Giacomo, 2014. "Readmission and Hospital Quality under Prospective Payment System," MPRA Paper 56490, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Giorgio Vittadini & Paolo Berta & Gianmaria Martini & Giuditta Callea, 2012. "The effect of a law limiting upcoding on hospital admissions: evidence from Italy," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 42(2), pages 563-582, April.
- Helmut Herwartz & Christoph Strumann, 2014. "Hospital efficiency under prospective reimbursement schemes: an empirical assessment for the case of Germany," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer;Deutsche Gesellschaft für Gesundheitsökonomie (DGGÖ), vol. 15(2), pages 175-186, March.
- Roberto Colombi & Subal Kumbhakar & Gianmaria Martini & Giorgio Vittadini, 2014. "Closed-skew normality in stochastic frontiers with individual effects and long/short-run efficiency," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 42(2), pages 123-136, October.
- Bettina Campedelli & Andrea Guerrina & Giulia Romano & Chiara Leardini, 2014. "La performance della rete ospedaliera pubblica della regione Veneto. L’impatto delle variabili ambientali e operative sull’efficienza," MECOSAN. Menagement e economia sanitaria, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2014(92), pages 119-142.
- Roberto Colombi & Gianmaria Martini & Giorgio Vittadini, 2011. "A Stochastic Frontier Model with short-run and long-run inefficiency random effects," Working Papers 1101, Department of Economics and Technology Management, University of Bergamo.
- Di Giorgio, L. & Filippini, M. & Masiero, G., 2015. "Structural and managerial cost differences in nonprofit nursing homes," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 51(C), pages 289-298.
- repec:kap:ijhcfe:v:17:y:2017:i:1:d:10.1007_s10754-016-9201-9 is not listed on IDEAS
- Cavalieri, M. & Guccio, C. & Lisi, D. & Pignataro, G., 2015. "Does the Extent of Per-Case Payment System Affect Hospital Efficiency? Evidence from the Italian NHS," Health, Econometrics and Data Group (HEDG) Working Papers 15/29, HEDG, c/o Department of Economics, University of York.
- Georgescu, Irène & Hartmann, Frank G.H., 2013. "Sources of financial pressure and up coding behavior in French public hospitals," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 110(2), pages 156-163.
- Vincenzo Atella & Federico Belotti & Silvio Daidone & Giuseppe Ilardi & Giorgia Marini, 2012. "Cost-containment policies and hospital efficiency: evidence from a panel of Italian hospitals," CEIS Research Paper 228, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 13 Apr 2012.
- Brenna, Elenka, 2011. "Quasi-market and cost-containment in Beveridge systems: The Lombardy model of Italy," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 103(2), pages 209-218.
- Elenka Brenna & Federico Spandonaro, 2014. "Does federalism induce patients’ mobility across regions? Evidence from the Italian experience," DISCE - Working Papers del Dipartimento di Economia e Finanza def009, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Dipartimenti e Istituti di Scienze Economiche (DISCE).
- Borisova, Ekaterina I. & Peresetsky, Anatoly & Polishchuk, Leonid, 2010. "Stochastic frontier in non-profit associations’ performance assessment (the case of homeowners’ associations)," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 20(4), pages 75-101.
- repec:eee:hepoli:v:121:y:2017:i:11:p:1186-1193 is not listed on IDEAS
- Paolo Berta & Chiara Seghieri & Giorgio Vittadini, 2013. "Comparing health outcomes among hospitals: the experience of the Lombardy Region," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 16(3), pages 245-257, September.
- Cheng, Terence C. & Haisken-DeNew, John P. & Yong, Jongsay, 2015. "Cream skimming and hospital transfers in a mixed public-private system," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 132(C), pages 156-164.
- Moscone, Francesco & Tosetti, Elisa & Vittadini, Giorgio, 2009. "Social Interaction in Patients'�Hospital Choice: Evidences from Italy," MPRA Paper 17783, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Claudio Pinto, 2014. "Efficiency comparison for directly managed public hospitals for different geographical area in Italy," Working papers 5, Società Italiana di Economia Pubblica.
More about this item
KeywordsUpcoding; Cream Skimming; Readmission; Hospital Technical Efficiency; Ownership.;
- I11 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Analysis of Health Care Markets
- C50 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - General
- I18 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Government Policy; Regulation; Public Health
- L33 - Industrial Organization - - Nonprofit Organizations and Public Enterprise - - - Comparison of Public and Private Enterprise and Nonprofit Institutions; Privatization; Contracting Out
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:17671. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter) or (Rebekah McClure). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/vfmunde.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.