Effects of ownership, subsidization and teaching activities on hospital costs in Switzerland
This paper explores the cost structure of Swiss hospitals, focusing on differences due to teaching activities and those related to ownership and subsidization types. A stochastic total cost frontier with a Cobb-Douglas functional form has been estimated for a panel of 148 general hospitals over the six-year period from 1998 to 2003. Inpatient cases adjusted by DRG cost weights and ambulatory revenues are considered as two separate outputs. The adopted econometric specification allows for unobserved heterogeneity across hospitals. The results suggest that teaching activities are an important cost-driving factor and hospitals that have a broader range of specialization are relatively more costly. The excess costs of university hospitals can be explained by more extensive teaching activities as well as the relative complexity of the offered medical treatments from a teaching point of view. However, even after controlling for such differences university hospitals have shown a relatively low cost-efficiency especially in the first two or three years of the sample period. The analysis does not provide any evidence of significant efficiency differences across ownership|subsidy categories. Copyright © 2007 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 17 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/5749|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Miika Linna, 1998. "Measuring hospital cost efficiency with panel data models," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(5), pages 415-427.
- Andrew Street, 2003. "How much confidence should we place in efficiency estimates?," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(11), pages 895-907.
- Polachek, Solomon W & Yoon, Bong Joon, 1996. "Panel Estimates of a Two-Tiered Earnings Frontier," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(2), pages 169-78, March-Apr.
- Dranove, David, 1998. "Economies of scale in non-revenue producing cost centers: Implications for hospital mergers," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 69-83, January.
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini, 2004. "An Empirical Analysis of Cost Efficiency in Non-profit and Public Nursing Homes," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 75(3), pages 339-365, 09.
- William Greene, 2003.
"Simulated Likelihood Estimation of the Normal-Gamma Stochastic Frontier Function,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 19(2), pages 179-190, April.
- William H. Greene, 2000. "Simulated Likelihood Estimation of the Normal-Gamma Stochastic Frontier Function," Working Papers 00-05, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Greene, W.H., 2000. "Simulated Likelihood Estimation of the Normal-Gamma Stochastic Frontier Function," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 00-05, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Rowena Jacobs & Diane Dawson, 2003. "Hospital efficiency targets," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(8), pages 669-684.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C., 1991. "Estimation of technical inefficiency in panel data models with firm- and time-specific effects," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 43-48, May.
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini & William Greene, 2004.
"Efficiency Measurement in Network Industries: Application to the Swiss Railway Companies,"
CEPE Working paper series
04-32, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini & William Greene, 2005. "Efficiency Measurement in Network Industries: Application to the Swiss Railway Companies," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 69-90, 07.
- Hadley, Jack & Zuckerman, Stephen, 1994. "The role of efficiency measurement in hospital rate setting," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 335-340, October.
- Donald F. Vitaliano & Mark Toren, 1996. "Hospital Cost and Efficiency in a Regime of Stringent Regulation," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 22(2), pages 161-175, Spring.
- Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin C, 1984. "Production Frontiers and Panel Data," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 2(4), pages 367-74, October.
- Sickles, Robin C., 2005. "Panel estimators and the identification of firm-specific efficiency levels in parametric, semiparametric and nonparametric settings," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 305-334, June.
- Silk Alvin J. & Berndt Ernst R., 2004. "Holding Company Cost Economies in the Global Advertising and Marketing Services Business," Review of Marketing Science, De Gruyter, vol. 2(1), pages 1-51, June.
- Griffin, Ronald C. & Montgomery, John M. & Rister, M. Edward, 1987. "Selecting Functional Form In Production Function Analysis," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 12(02), December.
- Adam Wagstaff & Guillem Lopez, 1996. "Hospital costs in Catalonia: a stochastic frontier analysis," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(7), pages 471-474.
- Satbir Singh & Tim Coelli & Euan Fleming, 2001. "Performance of Dairy Plants in the Cooperative and Private Sectors in India," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 72(4), pages 453-479, December.
- Sherman T. Folland & Richard A. Hofler, 2001. "How reliable are hospital efficiency estimates? Exploiting the dual to homothetic production," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(8), pages 683-698.
- Cornes,Richard, 1992. "Duality and Modern Economics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521336017.
- Cornwell, Christopher & Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin C., 1989.
"Production Frontiers With Cross-Sectinal And Time-Series Variation In Efficiency Levels,"
89-18, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Cornwell, Christopher & Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin C., 1990. "Production frontiers with cross-sectional and time-series variation in efficiency levels," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 185-200.
- Kim, H Youn, 1987. "Economies of Scale in Multi-product Firms: An Empirical Analysis," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 54(214), pages 185-206, May.
- Weninger, Quinn, 2003.
"Estimating Multiproduct Costs when Some Outputs Are Not Produced,"
Staff General Research Papers
10830, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Quinn Weninger, 2003. "Estimating multiproduct costs when some outputs are not produced," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 28(4), pages 753-765, November.
- Pitt, Mark M. & Lee, Lung-Fei, 1981. "The measurement and sources of technical inefficiency in the Indonesian weaving industry," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 43-64, August.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Skinner, Jonathan, 1994. "What do stochastic frontier cost functions tell us about inefficiency?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 323-328, October.
- Michael D. Rosko, 2001. "Cost efficiency of US hospitals: a stochastic frontier approach," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(6), pages 539-551.
- Vassilis H. Aletras, 1999. "A comparison of hospital scale effects in short-run and long-run cost functions," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(6), pages 521-530.
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini, 2006. "An Analysis of Efficiency and Productivity in Swiss Hospitals," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 142(I), pages 1-37, March.
- Newhouse, Joseph P., 1994. "Frontier estimation: How useful a tool for health economics?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 317-322, October.
- Breyer, Friedrich, 1987. "The specification of a hospital cost function : A comment on the recent literature," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 147-157, June.
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini & Michael Kuenzle, 2005. "Unobserved heterogeneity in stochastic cost frontier models: an application to Swiss nursing homes," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(18), pages 2127-2141.
- Manishi Prasad & Peter Wahlqvist & Rich Shikiar & Ya-Chen Tina Shih, 2004. "A," PharmacoEconomics, Springer Healthcare | Adis, vol. 22(4), pages 225-244.
- H. Shelton Brown, 2003. "Managed care and technical efficiency," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(2), pages 149-158.
- Zuckerman, Stephen & Hadley, Jack & Iezzoni, Lisa, 1994. "Measuring hospital efficiency with frontier cost functions," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 255-280, October.
- Vita, Michael G., 1990. "Exploring hospital production relationships with flexible functional forms," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 1-21, June.
- Tong Li & Robert Rosenman, 2001. "Estimating hospital costs with a generalized Leontief function," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(6), pages 523-538.
- Jondrow, James & Knox Lovell, C. A. & Materov, Ivan S. & Schmidt, Peter, 1982. "On the estimation of technical inefficiency in the stochastic frontier production function model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 233-238, August.
- William C. Horrace & Peter Schmidt, 2002. "Confidence Statements for Efficiency Estimates from Stochastic Frontier Models," Econometrics 0206006, EconWPA.
- Massimo Filippini & Diego Lunati & Luca Crivelli, 2001. "Dimensione ottima degli ospedali in uno Stato federale," ECONOMIA PUBBLICA, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2001(5).
- Heshmati, Almas, 2002. "Productivity measurement in Swedish departments of gynecology and obstetrics," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 315-336, September.
- Greene, William, 2005. "Reconsidering heterogeneity in panel data estimators of the stochastic frontier model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 269-303, June.
- Uwe Jensen, 2000. "Is it efficient to analyse efficiency rankings?," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 25(2), pages 189-208.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:hlthec:v:17:y:2008:i:3:p:335-350. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.