Hospital efficiency targets
Cost-efficiency targets, used to encourage downward pressure on hospital unit costs, have been employed within the UK NHS for many years. There has been considerable speculation that these targets create incentives to reduce beds and increase occupancy rates at the expense of holding spare capacity to accommodate fluctuations in emergency admissions. This research used panel data for the period 1994|1995-1999|2000, supplemented by a series of semi-structured interviews, to explore the strategies Trusts employ to reduce unit costs. No relationship could be found between published targets and changes in unit costs, nor that targets were successful in reducing the dispersion of unit costs over time. Interviews revealed that efficiency gains required of Trusts, usually dictated by the local health economy, often bore no correspondence to the national or regional published targets. Results further indicated that contrary to prior speculation, Trusts divide into two distinct groups, those with high occupancy rates and those with a high proportion of free beds to accommodate emergencies, with Trust characteristics displaying stability over time. A pressing need for future work is the development of measures to encourage efficiency that take account of quality improvement. Copyright © 2002 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 12 (2003)
Issue (Month): 8 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/5749|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cutler, David & McClellan, Mark, 2001. "Productivity Change in Health Care," Scholarly Articles 2640585, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Propper, Carol, 1995. "Agency and incentives in the NHS internal market," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 40(12), pages 1683-1690, June.
- Neil Soderlund & Rowena Jacobs, 2001. "Towards panel data specifications of efficiency measures for English acute hospitals," Working Papers 185chedp, Centre for Health Economics, University of York.
- Hausman, Jerry, 2015.
"Specification tests in econometrics,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 38(2), pages 112-134.
- Breusch, T.S. & Pagan, A.R., .
"The Lagrange multiplier test and its applications to model specification in econometrics,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
412, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- T. S. Breusch & A. R. Pagan, 1980. "The Lagrange Multiplier Test and its Applications to Model Specification in Econometrics," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 47(1), pages 239-253.
- David M. Cutler & Mark McClellan, 2001. "Productivity Change in Health Care," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(2), pages 281-286, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:hlthec:v:12:y:2003:i:8:p:669-684. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.