Analysis of energy use and CO2 emission in service industries: Evidence from Sweden
This study analyses the trends in energy use and CO2 emissions for 19 sub-sectors in the Swedish service sectors following the classification of the International Standard Industrial Classification of all Economic Activities (ISIC) at the 2-digit level of aggregation over the period 1993–2008. This empirical study intends to examine energy use, energy efficiency and CO2 emissions using data envelopment analysis (DEA) and panel data techniques. DEA is applied to assess energy efficiency within a production framework. Panel data techniques are used to determine which variables influence energy efficiency. The results show that Swedish services industries have increased energy consumption and CO2 emissions in the period 1993–2008. The results from the DEA show significant variation in energy efficiency across service industries. The results also indicate that this sector has increased technical efficiency and energy efficiency while decreasing CO2 emissions, especially in the later years of our sample period. The results of panel data techniques show that higher energy taxes, electricity consumption, investments and labour productivity generate higher energy efficiency, while higher fossil fuel consumption leads to lower energy efficiency. All findings of this study are important for developing effective energy policies that encourage better energy use and energy management in the service industries.
Volume (Year): 16 (2012)
Issue (Month): 7 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/bibliographic|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Collard, Fabrice & Feve, Patrick & Portier, Franck, 2005. "Electricity consumption and ICT in the French service sector," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 541-550, May.
- Oggioni, G. & Riccardi, R. & Toninelli, R., 2011. "Eco-efficiency of the world cement industry: A data envelopment analysis," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 2842-2854, May.
- Schleich, Joachim, 2009. "Barriers to energy efficiency: A comparison across the German commercial and services sector," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(7), pages 2150-2159, May.
- Hjalmarsson, Lennart & Veiderpass, Ann, 1992. " Productivity in Swedish Electricity Retail Distribution," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 94(0), pages S193-205, Supplemen.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1979. "Measuring the efficiency of decision-making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 339-338, July.
- Boyd, Gale A. & Pang, Joseph X., 2000. "Estimating the linkage between energy efficiency and productivity," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(5), pages 289-296, May.
- Krackeler, Tom & Schipper, Lee & Sezgen, Osman, 1998. "Carbon dioxide emissions in OECD service sectors: the critical role of electricity use," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(15), pages 1137-1152, December.
- Schipper, Lee & Meyers, Steve & Ketoff, Andrea N., 1986. "Energy use in the service sector : An international perspective," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 201-218, June.
- Halkos, George & Tzeremes, Nickolaos, 2005. "A DEA approach to regional development," MPRA Paper 3992, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hu, Jin-Li & Kao, Chih-Hung, 2007. "Efficient energy-saving targets for APEC economies," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 373-382, January.
- Breusch, T.S. & Pagan, A.R., .
"The Lagrange multiplier test and its applications to model specification in econometrics,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
412, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- T. S. Breusch & A. R. Pagan, 1980. "The Lagrange Multiplier Test and its Applications to Model Specification in Econometrics," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 47(1), pages 239-253.
- Sune Karlsson & Jimmy Skoglund, 2000.
"Maximum-Likelihood Based Inference in the Two-Way Random Effects Model with Serially Correlated Time Effects,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
1178, Econometric Society.
- Sune Karlsson & Jimmy Skoglund, 2004. "Maximum-likelihood based inference in the two-way random effects model with serially correlated time effects," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 79-88, January.
- Karlsson, Sune & Skoglund, Jimmy, 2000. "Maximum-likelihood based inference in the two-way random effects model with serially correlated time effects," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 383, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Mairet, Nicolas & Decellas, Fabrice, 2009. "Determinants of energy demand in the French service sector: A decomposition analysis," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(7), pages 2734-2744, July.
- Edquist, Harald, 2011. "Intangible Investment and the Swedish Manufacturing and Service Sector Paradox," Working Paper Series 863, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Azadeh, A. & Amalnick, M.S. & Ghaderi, S.F. & Asadzadeh, S.M., 2007. "An integrated DEA PCA numerical taxonomy approach for energy efficiency assessment and consumption optimization in energy intensive manufacturing sectors," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(7), pages 3792-3806, July.
- Giorgio Calzolari & Laura Magazzini, 2012.
"Autocorrelation and masked heterogeneity in panel data models estimated by maximum likelihood,"
Springer, vol. 43(1), pages 145-152, August.
- Giorgio Calzolari & Laura Magazzini, 2009. "Autocorrelation and masked heterogeneity in panel data models estimated by maximum likelihood," Working Papers 53/2009, University of Verona, Department of Economics.
- Mukherjee, Kankana, 2008. "Energy use efficiency in the Indian manufacturing sector: An interstate analysis," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 662-672, February.
- Hoff, Ayoe, 2007. "Second stage DEA: Comparison of approaches for modelling the DEA score," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 181(1), pages 425-435, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:rensus:v:16:y:2012:i:7:p:5285-5294. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.