A DEA approach to regional development
Our research is based on the effect of fiscal policies on the Greek prefectures. Using DEA methodology we compare the efficiency of the prefectures over the last three decades. Moreover, we determine where the resources are distributed in an efficient way and /or have been used efficiently by the local authorities in order to stimulate regional development and provide quality of life to the Greek citizens. The efficient prefectures seem to have definite and strong characteristics, which are determined and discussed in detail. Our empirical results imply that the resources of a prefecture don’t necessarily ensure the efficiency of this prefecture.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dowrick, Steve & Dunlop, Yvonne & Quiggin, John, 2003. "Social indicators and comparisons of living standards," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 501-529, April.
- Deller, Steven C, 1992. "Production Efficiency in Local Government: A Parametric Approach," Public Finance = Finances publiques, , vol. 47(1), pages 32-44.
- Atkinson, Anthony B & Bourguignon, Francois, 1982. "The Comparison of Multi-Dimensioned Distributions of Economic Status," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(2), pages 183-201, April.
- Kakwani, N., 1993. "Performance in living standards : An international comparison," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 307-336, August.
- De Borger, Bruno & Kerstens, Kristiaan, 1996.
"Cost efficiency of Belgian local governments: A comparative analysis of FDH, DEA, and econometric approaches,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 145-170, April.
- DE BORGER, Bruno & KERSTENS, Kristiaan, 1994. "Cost efficiency of Belgian local governments: A comparative analysis of FDH, DEA and econometric approaches," SESO Working Papers 1994002, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Sueyoshi, Toshiyuki, 1992. "Measuring the industrial performance of Chinese cities by data envelopment analysis," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 75-88, April.
- Dowrick, Steve & Dunlop, Yvonne & Quiggin, John, 1998. " The Cost of Life Expectancy and the Implicit Social Valuation of Life," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 100(4), pages 673-91, December.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Smith, P, 1990. "Data envelopment analysis applied to financial statements," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 131-138.
- Weber, William L. & Domazlicky, Bruce R., 1999. "Total factor productivity growth in manufacturing: a regional approach using linear programming," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 105-122, January.
- W D Macmillan, 1987. "The measurement of efficiency in multiunit public services," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 19(11), pages 1511-1524, November.
- Charnes, Abraham & Cooper, William W. & Li, Shanling, 1989. "Using data envelopment analysis to evaluate efficiency in the economic performance of Chinese cities," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 325-344.
- Meen, Geoffrey & Andrew, Mark, 2004. "On the use of policy to reduce housing market segmentation," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 727-751, November.
- Banker, Rajiv D., 1984. "Estimating most productive scale size using data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 35-44, July.
- Zhu, Joe, 2001. "Multidimensional quality-of-life measure with an application to Fortune's best cities," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 263-284, December.
- Byrnes, Patricia E. & Storbeck, James E., 2000. "Efficiency gains from regionalization: economic development in China revisited," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 141-154, June.
- De Borger, B, et al, 1994.
" Explaining Differences in Productive Efficiency: An Application to Belgian Municipalities,"
Springer, vol. 80(3-4), pages 339-58, September.
- DE BORGER, Bruno & KERSTENS, K. & MOESEN, Wim & VANNESTE, Jacques, 1992. "Explaining differences in productive efficiency: An application to Belgian municipalities," SESO Working Papers 1992003, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Karkazis, John & Thanassoulis, Emmanuel, 1998. "Assessing the effectiveness of regional development policies in Northern Greece using data envelopment analysis," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 123-137, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:3992. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.