Technical, Allocative, and Economic Efficiency in Swedish Dairy Farms: The Data Envelopment Analysis Versus the Stochastic Frontier Approach
Technical, allocative, and economic input efficiency scores were estimated for an unbalanced panel of Swedish dairy farms, using data envelopment analysis (DEA) and the stochastic frontier approach (SFA). By comparing the results it was concluded that when the entire dairy farm is studied the DEA is more appropriate to use since it does not require any particular parametric form to be chosen. The average DEA technical, allocative and economic efficiency indices were eventually found to be 0.77, 0.57, and 0.43 respectively. The influence of size on the efficiency scores was analyzed and significant evidence indicating a positive relationship between size and efficiency was found. Finally it was concluded that the main challenge facing the Swedish dairy farms is to enhance their cost minimizing skills.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.eaae.org|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blank, Steven C., 2005. "The Business of an Agricultural “Way of Life”," Choices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 20(2).
- Coelli, Tim & Perelman, Sergio, 1999. "A comparison of parametric and non-parametric distance functions: With application to European railways," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 117(2), pages 326-339, September.
- Bailey, DeeVon & Biswas, Basudeb & Kumbhakar, Subal C. & Schulthies, B. Kris, 1989. "An Analysis Of Technical, Allocative, And Scale Inefficiency: The Case Of Ecuadorian Dairy Farms," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 14(01), July.
- Kopp, Raymond J. & Diewert, W. Erwin, 1982. "The decomposition of frontier cost function deviations into measures of technical and allocative efficiency," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 319-331, August.
- Alvarez, Antonio & Arias, Carlos, 2004. "Technical efficiency and farm size: a conditional analysis," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 30(3), pages 241-250, May.
- Coelli, T. J., 1995.
"Recent Developments in Frontier Modelling and Efficiency Measurement,"
1995 Conference (39th), February 14-16, 1995, Perth, Australia
148798, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Tim J. Coelli, 1995. "Recent Developments In Frontier Modelling And Efficiency Measurement," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 39(3), pages 219-245, December.
- Coelli, Tim J., 1995. "Recent Developments In Frontier Modelling And Efficiency Measurement," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 39(03), December.
- Iraizoz, Belen & Rapun, Manuel & Zabaleta, Idoia, 2003. "Assessing the technical efficiency of horticultural production in Navarra, Spain," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 78(3), pages 387-403, December.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:eaae05:24478. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.