System-wide impacts of hospital payment reforms : evidence from central and eastern Europe and central Asia
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Moreno-Serra, Rodrigo & Wagstaff, Adam, 2010. "System-wide impacts of hospital payment reforms: Evidence from Central and Eastern Europe and Central Asia," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 585-602, July.
References listed on IDEAS
- U. -G. Gerdtham & C. Rehnberg & M. Tambour, 1999.
"The impact of internal markets on health care efficiency: evidence from health care reforms in Sweden,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(8), pages 935-945.
- Gerdtham, Ulf-G. & Rehnberg, Clas & Tambour, Magnus, 1997. "The Impact of Internal Markets on Health Care Efficiency: Evidence from Health Care Reforms in Sweden," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 170, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Wagstaff, Adam & Moreno-Serra, Rodrigo, 2009. "Europe and central Asia's great post-communist social health insurance experiment: Aggregate impacts on health sector outcomes," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 322-340, March.
- Gérard Roland, 2004.
"Transition and Economics: Politics, Markets, and Firms,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 026268148x.
- Gérard Roland, 2000. "Transition and Economics: Politics, Markets, and Firms," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262182033.
- Leemore S. Dafny, 2005. "How Do Hospitals Respond to Price Changes?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(5), pages 1525-1547, December.
- Jegers, Marc & Kesteloot, Katrien & De Graeve, Diana & Gilles, Willem, 2002. "A typology for provider payment systems in health care," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 60(3), pages 255-273, June.
- Adam Wagstaff & Eddy van Doorslaer, 2003. "Catastrophe and impoverishment in paying for health care: with applications to Vietnam 1993-1998," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(11), pages 921-933.
- Reinhard Busse & Jonas Schreyögg & Peter Smith, 2006. "Editorial: Hospital case payment systems in Europe," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 211-213, August.
- Cameron,A. Colin & Trivedi,Pravin K., 2008. "Microeconometrics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9787111235767, January.
- C. E. Dismuke & P. Guimaraes, 2002. "Has the caveat of case-mix based payment influenced the quality of inpatient hospital care in Portugal?," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(10), pages 1301-1307.
- Marianne Bertrand & Esther Duflo & Sendhil Mullainathan, 2004.
"How Much Should We Trust Differences-In-Differences Estimates?,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 119(1), pages 249-275.
- Marianne Bertrand & Esther Duflo & Sendhil Mullainathan, 2002. "How Much Should We Trust Differences-in-Differences Estimates?," NBER Working Papers 8841, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cutler, David M, 1995.
"The Incidence of Adverse Medical Outcomes under Prospective Payment,"
Econometric Society, vol. 63(1), pages 29-50, January.
- Cutler, D.M., 1992. "The Incidence of Adverse Medical Outcome Under Prospective Payment," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1603, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- David M. Cutler, 1993. "The Incidence of Adverse Medical Outcomes Under Prospective Payments," NBER Working Papers 4300, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gerdtham, Ulf-G. & Jonsson, Bengt, 2000. "International comparisons of health expenditure: Theory, data and econometric analysis," Handbook of Health Economics,in: A. J. Culyer & J. P. Newhouse (ed.), Handbook of Health Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 1, pages 11-53 Elsevier.
- Brian Bell & Richard Blundell & John Reenen, 1999.
"Getting the Unemployed Back to Work: The Role of Targeted Wage Subsidies,"
International Tax and Public Finance,
Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 6(3), pages 339-360, August.
- Bell, Bell & Richard Blundell & John Van Reenen, 1999. "Getting the unemployed back to work: the role of targeted wage subsidies," IFS Working Papers W99/12, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Ellis, Randall P., 1998. "Creaming, skimping and dumping: provider competition on the intensive and extensive margins1," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 537-555, October.
- Hodgkin, Dominic & McGuire, Thomas G., 1994. "Payment levels and hospital response to prospective payment," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 1-29, March.
- Davis, Carolyne K. & Rhodes, Deborah J., 1988. "The impact of DRGs on the cost and quality of health care in the United States," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 117-131, April.
- Ellis, Randall P. & McGuire, Thomas G., 1986. "Provider behavior under prospective reimbursement : Cost sharing and supply," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 129-151, June.
- Marini, Giorgia & Street, Andrew, 2007. "A transaction costs analysis of changing contractual relations in the English NHS," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 83(1), pages 17-26, September.
- Kroneman, Madelon & Nagy, Julia, 2001. "Introducing DRG-based financing in Hungary: a study into the relationship between supply of hospital beds and use of these beds under changing institutional circumstances," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 19-36, January.
- Lang, Hui-Chu & Chi, Chunhuei & Liu, Chi-Ming, 2004. "Impact of the case payment reimbursement method on the utilization and costs of laparoscopic cholecystectomy," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 195-206, February.
- Winnie Yip & Karen Eggleston, 2001. "Provider payment reform in China: the case of hospital reimbursement in Hainan province," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(4), pages 325-339.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Margit Sommersguter-Reichmann & Adolf Stepan, 2017. "Hospital physician payment mechanisms in Austria: do they provide gateways to institutional corruption?," Health Economics Review, Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 1-13, December.
- Galina Besstremyannaya, 2014. "The adverse effects of value-based purchasing in health care: dynamic quantile regression with endogeneity," Discussion Papers 14-006, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research.
- Guccio, Calogero & Lisi, Domenico & Pignataro, Giacomo, 2014. "Readmission and Hospital Quality under Prospective Payment System," MPRA Paper 56490, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cox, James C. & Sadiraj, Vjollca & Schnier, Kurt E. & Sweeney, John F., 2016.
"Incentivizing cost-effective reductions in hospital readmission rates,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 131(PB), pages 24-35.
- James C. Cox & Vjollca Sadiraj & Kurt E. Schnier & John F. Sweeney, 2015. "Incentivizing Cost-Effective Reductions in Hospital Readmission Rates," Experimental Economics Center Working Paper Series 2015-01, Experimental Economics Center, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Stefan Meyer, 2015. "Payment schemes and cost efficiency: evidence from Swiss public hospitals," International Journal of Health Economics and Management, Springer, vol. 15(1), pages 73-97, March.
- Hamada, Hironori & Sekimoto, Miho & Imanaka, Yuichi, 2012. "Effects of the per diem prospective payment system with DRG-like grouping system (DPC/PDPS) on resource usage and healthcare quality in Japan," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 107(2), pages 194-201.
- Bogut, Martina & Voncina, Luka & Yeh, Ethan, 2012. "Impact of hospital provider payment reforms in Croatia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5992, The World Bank.
- Antonia Rosa Gurrieri & Marilene Lorizio, 2016. "Management in Healthcare System: A Case Study," International Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Sciences, Human Resource Management Academic Research Society, International Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Sciences, vol. 6(11), pages 327-341, November.
- Gao, Chen & Xu, Fei & Liu, Gordon G., 2014. "Payment reform and changes in health care in China," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 111(C), pages 10-16.
- Francesco Longo & Luigi Siciliani & Andrew Street, 2015. "Are costs differences between specialist and general hospitals compensated by the prospective payment system?," Discussion Papers 15/30, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Cheng, Amy H.Y. & Sutherland, Jason M., 2013. "British Columbia's pay-for-performance experiment: Part of the solution to reduce emergency department crowding?," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 113(1), pages 86-92.
- Cheng, Shou-Hsia & Chen, Chi-Chen & Tsai, Shu-Ling, 2012. "The impacts of DRG-based payments on health care provider behaviors under a universal coverage system: A population-based study," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 107(2), pages 202-208.
- Adam Wagstaff & Daniel Cotlear & Patrick Hoang-Vu Eozenou & Leander R. Buisman, 2016.
"Measuring progress towards universal health coverage: with an application to 24 developing countries,"
Oxford Review of Economic Policy,
Oxford University Press, vol. 32(1), pages 147-189.
- Wagstaff,Adam & Cotlear,Daniel & Eozenou,Patrick Hoang-Vu & Buisman,Leander Robert, 2015. "Measuring progress towards universal health coverage: with an application to 24 developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 7470, The World Bank.
- Jayendra Sharma, 2016. "An assessment of fiscal space for health in Bhutan," International Journal of Health Planning and Management, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(3), pages 296-308, July.
- Aoife Brick & Anne Nolan & Jacqueline O’Reilly & Samantha Smith, 2012. "Conflicting Financial Incentives in the Irish Health-Care System," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 43(2), pages 273-301.
- repec:bla:ijhplm:v:31:y:2016:i:4:p:580-601 is not listed on IDEAS
- Wubulihasimu, Parida & Gheorghe, Maria & Slobbe, Lany & Polder, Johan & van Baal, Pieter, 2015. "Trends in Dutch hospital spending by age and disease 1994–2010," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 119(3), pages 316-323.
- Tsiachristas, Apostolos & Dikkers, Carolien & Boland, Melinde R.S. & Rutten-van Mölken, Maureen P.M.H., 2016. "Impact of financial agreements in European chronic care on health care expenditure growth," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 120(4), pages 420-430.
- Nguyen, Ha Thi Hong & Bales, Sarah & Wagstaff, Adam & Dao, Huyen, 2013. "Getting incentives right : an impact evaluation of district hospital capitation payment in Vietnam," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6709, The World Bank.
- Bisceglia, Michele & Cellini, Roberto & Grilli, Luca, 2017. "Regional regulators in healthcare service under quality competition: A game theoretical model," MPRA Paper 80507, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Randall P. Ellis & Bruno Martins & Michelle McKinnon Miller, 2015. "Provider Payment Methods and Incentives," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series wp2015-023, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Owen Smith & Son Nam Nguyen, 2013. "Getting Better : Improving Health System Outcomes in Europe and Central Asia," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13832.
- Sutherland, Jason M. & Liu, Guiping & Crump, R. Trafford & Law, Michael, 2016. "Paying for volume: British Columbia’s experiment with funding hospitals based on activity," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 120(11), pages 1322-1328.
- Galina Besstremyannaya, 2015. "The adverse effects of incentives regulation in health care: a comparative analysis with the U.S. and Japanese hospital data," Working Papers w0218, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
More about this item
KeywordsHealth Monitoring&Evaluation; Health Systems Development&Reform; Health Economics&Finance; Health Law; Population Policies;
- C72 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Noncooperative Games
- D82 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Asymmetric and Private Information; Mechanism Design
- L14 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Transactional Relationships; Contracts and Reputation
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-07-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-HEA-2009-07-11 (Health Economics)
- NEP-TRA-2009-07-11 (Transition Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:4987. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/dvewbus.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.