Methods to determine reimbursement rates for diagnosis related groups (DRG): A comparison of nine European countries
Over the past 20 years, most European countries have introduced DRGs or similar grouping systems as instruments for hospital reimbursement. This paper compares and analyzes the methods used to determine prices for inpatient care within DRGs or similar grouping systems employed in nine EU member states (i.e. Denmark, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, the Netherlands, Poland, Spain and England). It categorizes the systems of patient classification used in these nine countries and compares them according to the three steps necessary in order to set prices: 1.) definition of a data sample, 2.) use of trimming methods and plausibility checks and 3.) definition of prices. It concludes with a discussion on the typical development path of DRG systems and the role of additional reimbursement components in this context. Copyright Springer Science + Business Media, LLC 2006
Volume (Year): 9 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/journal/10729|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Epstein & Anne Mason, 2006. "Costs and prices for inpatient care in England: Mirror twins or distant cousins?," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 233-242, August.
- J. Schreyögg & T. Stargardt & M. Velasco-Garrido & R. Busse, 2005. "Defining the “Health Benefit Basket” in nine European countries," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer;Deutsche Gesellschaft für Gesundheitsökonomie (DGGÖ), vol. 6(1), pages 2-10, November.
- Martine Bellanger & Laurent Tardif, 2006. "Accounting and reimbursement schemes for inpatient care in France," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 295-305, August.
- Fernando Sánchez-Martínez & José-María Abellán-Perpiñán & Jorge-Eduardo Martínez-Pérez & Jaume Puig-Junoy, 2006. "Cost accounting and public reimbursement schemes in Spanish hospitals," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 225-232, August.
- Jonas Schreyögg & Oliver Tiemann & Reinhard Busse, 2006. "Cost accounting to determine prices: How well do prices reflect costs in the German DRG-system?," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 269-279, August.
- Peter Gaal & Nóra Stefka & Júlia Nagy, 2006. "Cost accounting methodologies in price setting of acute inpatient services in Hungary," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 243-250, August.
- Giovanni Fattore & Aleksandra Torbica, 2006. "Inpatient reimbursement system in Italy: How do tariffs relate to costs?," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 251-258, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:hcarem:v:9:y:2006:i:3:p:215-223. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.