The dynamic interactions among the stock, bond and insurance markets
This paper explores the lead–lag relationships and the dynamic linkages among stock, insurance and bond markets in the developed countries. This is the first empirical study which sheds light on the extent and magnitude of the association among these financial markets used by the Granger causality test of Toda and Yamamoto (1995), generalized impulse response approach, and generalized variance decomposition in a multivariate setting. Our empirical results illustrate that there are indeed various patterns of dynamic relationships. The direction of causality appears to differ across countries. While investigating these interactive relationships under unexpected shocks, there is a one-way significant influence between the life insurance premium and long-run interest rate. These empirical findings serve as valuable applications not only for investors to diversify their risk away as well as to earn the abnormal return, but also for policy-makers to allocate resources more efficiently.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 26 (2013)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/620163|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Campbell, John Y & Ammer, John, 1993.
" What Moves the Stock and Bond Markets? A Variance Decomposition for Long-Term Asset Returns,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 48(1), pages 3-37, March.
- Campbell, J.Y. & Ammer, J., 1991. "What Moves The Stock And Bond Markets? A Variance Decomposition For Long- Term Asset Returns," Papers 127, Princeton, Department of Economics - Financial Research Center.
- John Y. Campbell & John Ammer, 1991. "What Moves the Stock and Bond Markets? A Variance Decomposition for Long-Term Asset Returns," NBER Working Papers 3760, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Campbell and Ammer's JOF 1993 paper," Statistical Software Components RTZ00029, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Ammer, John & Campbell, John, 1993. "What Moves the Stock and Bond Markets? A Variance Decomposition for Long-Term Asset Returns," Scholarly Articles 3382857, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- William B. Fairley, 1979. "Investment Income and Profit Margins in Property-Liability Insurance: Theory and Empirical Results," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 10(1), pages 192-210, Spring.
- Barsky, Robert B, 1989.
"Why Don't the Prices of Stocks and Bonds Move Together?,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 79(5), pages 1132-45, December.
- Robert B. Barsky, 1986. "Why Don't the Prices of Stocks and Bonds Move Together?," NBER Working Papers 2047, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shiller, Robert J. & Beltratti, Andrea E., 1992.
"Stock prices and bond yields : Can their comovements be explained in terms of present value models?,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 25-46, October.
- Robert J. Shiller & Andrea E. Beltratti, 1990. "Stock Prices and Bond Yields: Can Their Co-Movements Be Explained in Terms of Present Value Models?," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 953, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Robert J. Shiller & Andrea E. Beltratti, 1990. "Stock Prices and Bond Yields: Can Their Comovements Be Explained in Terms of Present Value Models?," NBER Working Papers 3464, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sousa, Ricardo M., 2010. "Housing wealth, financial wealth, money demand and policy rule: Evidence from the euro area," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 88-105, March.
- Serena Ng & Pierre Perron, 1997.
"Lag Length Selection and the Construction of Unit Root Tests with Good Size and Power,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
369, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 01 Sep 2000.
- Serena Ng & Pierre Perron, 2001. "LAG Length Selection and the Construction of Unit Root Tests with Good Size and Power," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 69(6), pages 1519-1554, November.
- Awokuse, Titus O. & Yang, Jian, 2003.
"The informational role of commodity prices in formulating monetary policy: a reexamination,"
Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 219-224, May.
- Awokuse, Titus O. & Yang, Jian, 2002. "The Informational Role Of Commodity Prices In Formulating Monetary Policy: A Reexamination," Staff Papers 15834, University of Delaware, Department of Food and Resource Economics.
- Jan H Holsboer, 1999. "Repositioning of the Insurance Industry in the Financial Sector and its Economic Role," The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance - Issues and Practice, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 24(3), pages 243-290, July.
- Masih, Rumi & Masih, Abul M. M., 2001. "Long and short term dynamic causal transmission amongst international stock markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 563-587, August.
- Chi-Hung Chang & Chien-Chiang Lee, 2012. "Non-Linearity Between Life Insurance and Economic Development: A Revisited Approach," The Geneva Risk and Insurance Review, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(2), pages 223-257, September.
- Fredj Jawadi & Catherine Bruneau & Nadia Sghaier, 2009. "Nonlinear Cointegration Relationships Between Non-Life Insurance Premiums and Financial Markets," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 76(3), pages 753-783.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Pesaran, M. H. & Shin, Y., 1997.
"Generalised Impulse Response Analysis in Linear Multivariate Models,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9710, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Pesaran, H. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 1998. "Generalized impulse response analysis in linear multivariate models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 17-29, January.
- Doherty, Neil A & Garven, James R, 1995. "Insurance Cycles: Interest Rates and the Capacity Constraint Model," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 68(3), pages 383-404, July.
- Peter Haiss & Kjell Sümegi, 2008. "The relationship between insurance and economic growth in Europe: a theoretical and empirical analysis," Empirica, Springer, vol. 35(4), pages 405-431, September.
- Elliott, Graham & Rothenberg, Thomas J & Stock, James H, 1996.
"Efficient Tests for an Autoregressive Unit Root,"
Econometric Society, vol. 64(4), pages 813-36, July.
- Graham Elliott & Thomas J. Rothenberg & James H. Stock, 1992. "Efficient Tests for an Autoregressive Unit Root," NBER Technical Working Papers 0130, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tom Doan, . "ERSTEST: RATS procedure to perform Elliott-Rothenberg-Stock unit root tests," Statistical Software Components RTS00066, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "GLSDETREND: RATS procedure to perform local to unity GLS detrending," Statistical Software Components RTS00077, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Smith, Michael L, 1989. "Investment Returns and Yields to Holders of Insurance," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 62(1), pages 81-98, January.
- Lee, Chien-Chiang & Lee, Chi-Chuan & Chiu, Yi-Bin, 2013. "The link between life insurance activities and economic growth: Some new evidence," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(C), pages 405-427.
- Chen, Pei-Fen & Chien, Mei-Se & Lee, Chien-Chiang, 2011. "Dynamic modeling of regional house price diffusion in Taiwan," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 315-332.
- Marco Arena, 2008. "Does Insurance Market Activity Promote Economic Growth? A Cross-Country Study for Industrialized and Developing Countries," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 75(4), pages 921-946.
- Liyan Han & Donghui Li & Fariborz Moshirian & Yanhui Tian, 2010. "Insurance Development and Economic Growth*," The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance - Issues and Practice, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(2), pages 183-199, April.
- Fernando Seabra & Lisandra Flach, 2005. "Foreign direct investment and profit outflows: a causality analysis for the Brazilian economy," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 6(1), pages 1-15.
- Mike Adams & Jonas Andersson & Lars-Fredrik Andersson & Magnus Lindmark, 2009. "Commercial banking, insurance and economic growth in Sweden between 1830 and 1998," Accounting History Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(1), pages 21-38.
- Hammoudeh, Shawkat & Sari, Ramazan, 2011. "Financial CDS, stock market and interest rates: Which drives which?," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 257-276.
- Lee, Chien-Chiang & Chiu, Yi-Bin, 2012. "The impact of real income on insurance premiums: Evidence from panel data," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 246-260.
- Toda, Hiro Y. & Yamamoto, Taku, 1995. "Statistical inference in vector autoregressions with possibly integrated processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1-2), pages 225-250.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:6:y:2005:i:1:p:1-15 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lee, Chien-Chiang, 2013. "Insurance And Real Output: The Key Role Of Banking Activities," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(02), pages 235-260, March.
- Scott E. Harrington, 2009. "The Financial Crisis, Systemic Risk, and the Future of Insurance Regulation," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 76(4), pages 785-819.
- Pei‐Fen Chen & Chien‐Chiang Lee & Chi‐Feng Lee, 2012. "How does the development of the life insurance market affect economic growth? Some international evidence," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(7), pages 865-893, October.
- Kassberger, Stefan & Kiesel, Rüdiger & Liebmann, Thomas, 2008. "Fair valuation of insurance contracts under Lévy process specifications," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 419-433, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecofin:v:26:y:2013:i:c:p:28-52. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.