Insurance penetration and economic growth nexus: Cross-country evidence from ASEAN
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Chaido Dritsaki & Melina Dritsaki-Bargiota, 2005. "The Causal Relationship between Stock, Credit Market and Economic Development: An Empirical Evidence for Greece," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 38(1), pages 113-127, March.
- Tsangyao Chang & Chien-Chiang Lee & Chi-Hung Chang, 2014. "Does insurance activity promote economic growth? Further evidence based on bootstrap panel Granger causality test," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(12), pages 1187-1210, December.
- Calderon, Cesar & Liu, Lin, 2003.
"The direction of causality between financial development and economic growth,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 321-334, October.
- César Calderón & Lin Liu, 2002. "The Direction of Causality Between Financial Development and Economic Growth," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 184, Central Bank of Chile.
- Chen, Sen-Sung & Cheng, Shu-Ching & Pan, Guochen & Wu, Tsung-Pao, 2013. "The relationship between globalization and insurance activities: A panel data analysis," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 28(C), pages 151-157.
- Marco Arena, 2008. "Does Insurance Market Activity Promote Economic Growth? A Cross‐Country Study for Industrialized and Developing Countries," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 75(4), pages 921-946, December.
- Rousseau, Peter L. & Xiao, Sheng, 2007. "Banks, stock markets, and China's `great leap forward'," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 206-217, September.
- Thorsten Beck & Ian Webb, 2003. "Economic, Demographic, and Institutional Determinants of Life Insurance Consumption across Countries," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 17(1), pages 51-88, June.
- Chi-Hung Chang & Chien-Chiang Lee, 2012. "Non-Linearity Between Life Insurance and Economic Development: A Revisited Approach," The Geneva Risk and Insurance Review, Palgrave Macmillan;International Association for the Study of Insurance Economics (The Geneva Association), vol. 37(2), pages 223-257, September.
- Pradhan, Rudra P. & Arvin, Mak B. & Norman, Neville R., 2015. "Insurance development and the finance-growth nexus: Evidence from 34 OECD countries," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 31(C), pages 1-22.
- Peter Haiss & Kjell Sümegi, 2008. "The relationship between insurance and economic growth in Europe: a theoretical and empirical analysis," Empirica, Springer;Austrian Institute for Economic Research;Austrian Economic Association, vol. 35(4), pages 405-431, September.
- Hsueh, Shun-Jen & Hu, Yu-Hau & Tu, Chien-Heng, 2013. "Economic growth and financial development in Asian countries: A bootstrap panel Granger causality analysis," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 32(C), pages 294-301.
- Levine, Ross, 2005. "Finance and Growth: Theory and Evidence," Handbook of Economic Growth, in: Philippe Aghion & Steven Durlauf (ed.),Handbook of Economic Growth, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 12, pages 865-934, Elsevier.
- Pei‐Fen Chen & Chien‐Chiang Lee & Chi‐Feng Lee, 2012. "How does the development of the life insurance market affect economic growth? Some international evidence," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(7), pages 865-893, October.
- Stephen P. D'Arcy & Richard W. Gorvett, 2004. "The Use of Dynamic Financial Analysis to Determine Whether an Optimal Growth Rate Exists for a Property‐Liability Insurer," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 71(4), pages 583-615, December.
- Khalifa Al-Yousif, Yousif, 2002. "Financial development and economic growth: Another look at the evidence from developing countries," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 131-150.
- Rudra P. PRADHAN & Mak B. ARVIN & Bele SAMADHAN & Shilpa TANEJA, 2013. "The Impact of Stock Market Development on Inflation and Economic Growth of 16 Asian Countries: A Panel VAR Approach," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 13(1), pages 203-218.
- Jan H Holsboer, 1999. "Repositioning of the Insurance Industry in the Financial Sector and its Economic Role," The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance - Issues and Practice, Palgrave Macmillan;The Geneva Association, vol. 24(3), pages 243-290, July.
- Peia, Oana & Roszbach, Kasper, 2015. "Finance and growth: Time series evidence on causality," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 19(C), pages 105-118.
- Liu, Guanchun & He, Lei & Yue, Yiding & Wang, Jiying, 2014. "The linkage between insurance activity and banking credit: Some evidence from dynamic analysis," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(C), pages 239-265.
- Ming-Sun Horng & Yung-Wang Chang & Ting-Yi Wu, 2012. "Does insurance demand or financial development promote economic growth? Evidence from Taiwan," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(2), pages 105-111, February.
- Guan-Chun Liu & Chien-Chiang Lee, 2014. "Insurance activities and banking credit causal nexus: evidence from China," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(9), pages 626-630, June.
- Lee, Chien-Chiang & Lee, Chi-Chuan & Chiu, Yi-Bin, 2013. "The link between life insurance activities and economic growth: Some new evidence," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(C), pages 405-427.
- Han Hou & Su-Yin Cheng, 2010. "The roles of stock market in the finance-growth nexus: time series cointegration and causality evidence from Taiwan," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(12), pages 975-981.
- Im, Kyung So & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 2003.
"Testing for unit roots in heterogeneous panels,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 53-74, July.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995. "Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "IPSHIN: RATS procedure to implement Im, Pesaran and Shin panel unit root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00098, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Beenstock, Michael & Dickinson, Gerry & Khajuria, Sajay, 1986. "The determination of life premiums: An international cross-section analysis 1970-1981," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 261-270, October.
- Lee Chien-Chiang, 2011. "Does Insurance Matter for Growth: Empirical Evidence from OECD Countries," The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, De Gruyter, vol. 11(1), pages 1-28, June.
- Chowdhury, Reza H. & Maung, Min, 2012. "Financial market development and the effectiveness of R&D investment: Evidence from developed and emerging countries," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 258-272.
- Lee, Chien-Chiang & Huang, Wei-Ling & Yin, Chun-Hao, 2013. "The dynamic interactions among the stock, bond and insurance markets," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(C), pages 28-52.
- Pedroni, Peter, 1999.
"Critical Values for Cointegration Tests in Heterogeneous Panels with Multiple Regressors,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(0), pages 653-670, Special I.
- Peter Pedroni, 1999. "Critical Values for Cointegration Tests in Heterogeneous Panels with Multiple Regressors," Department of Economics Working Papers 2000-02, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Lee, Chien-Chiang, 2013. "Insurance And Real Output: The Key Role Of Banking Activities," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(2), pages 235-260, March.
- Chien-Chiang Lee & Ching-Chuan Tsong & Shih-Jui Yang & Chi-Hung Chang, 2013. "Investigating the stationarity of insurance premiums: international evidence," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(4), pages 276-297, April.
- Bolbol, Ali A. & Fatheldin, Ayten & Omran, Mohammed M., 2005. "Financial development, structure, and economic growth: the case of Egypt, 1974-2002," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 171-194, March.
- Chang, Tsangyao & Cheng, Shu-Ching & Pan, Guochen & Wu, Tsung-pao, 2013. "Does globalization affect the insurance markets? Bootstrap panel Granger causality test," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 33(C), pages 254-260.
- Levin, Andrew & Lin, Chien-Fu & James Chu, Chia-Shang, 2002.
"Unit root tests in panel data: asymptotic and finite-sample properties,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 1-24, May.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "LEVINLIN: RATS procedure to perform Levin-Lin-Chu test for unit roots in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00242, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Maddala, G S & Wu, Shaowen, 1999. "A Comparative Study of Unit Root Tests with Panel Data and a New Simple Test," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(0), pages 631-652, Special I.
- Enisan, Akinlo A. & Olufisayo, Akinlo O., 2009. "Stock market development and economic growth: Evidence from seven sub-Sahara African countries," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 162-171.
- Liyan Han & Donghui Li & Fariborz Moshirian & Yanhui Tian, 2010. "Insurance Development and Economic Growth*," The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance - Issues and Practice, Palgrave Macmillan;The Geneva Association, vol. 35(2), pages 183-199, April.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Xuluo Yin & Xuan Xu & Qi Chen & Jiangang Peng, 2019. "The Sustainable Development of Financial Inclusion: How Can Monetary Policy and Economic Fundamental Interact with It Effectively?," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 11(9), pages 1-14, May.
- Balcilar, Mehmet & Gupta, Rangan & Lee, Chien-Chiang & Olasehinde-Williams, Godwin, 2018.
"The synergistic effect of insurance and banking sector activities on economic growth in Africa,"
Elsevier, vol. 42(4), pages 637-648.
- Mehmet Balcilar & Rangan Gupta & Chien-Chiang Lee & Godwin Olasehinde-Williams, 2018. "The Synergistic Effect of Insurance and Banking Sector Activities on Economic Growth in Africa," Working Papers 201818, University of Pretoria, Department of Economics.
- Alshammari, Ahmad Alrazni & Syed Jaafar Alhabshi, Syed Musa bin & Saiti, Buerhan, 2019. "The impact of competition on cost efficiency of insurance and takaful sectors: Evidence from GCC markets based on the Stochastic Frontier Analysis," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 47(C), pages 410-427.
- Rudra P. Pradhan & Mak B. Arvin & Sahar Bahmani & Sara E. Bennett & John H. Hall, 2017. "Insurance–growth nexus and macroeconomic determinants: evidence from middle-income countries," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 52(4), pages 1337-1366, June.
- Kim, Dai-Won & Yu, Jung-Suk & Hassan, M. Kabir, 2018. "Financial inclusion and economic growth in OIC countries," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 43(C), pages 1-14.
More about this item
KeywordsInsurance market penetration; Broad money; Stock market capitalization; Economic growth; ASEAN; Granger causality; ARF countries;
- L96 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Telecommunications
- O32 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Innovation; Research and Development; Technological Change; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Management of Technological Innovation and R&D
- O33 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Innovation; Research and Development; Technological Change; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Technological Change: Choices and Consequences; Diffusion Processes
- O43 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Institutions and Growth
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:riibaf:v:36:y:2016:i:c:p:447-458. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Haili He). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ribaf .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.