Lack of Credibility, Inflation Persistence and Disinflation in Colombia
This paper measures inflation persistence in Colombia for the period1990-2010 and estimates the implied speed at which agents learn about the central bank´s inflation target. We estimate Erceg and Levin´s (2003) imperfect credibility model using Bayesian techniques and compare the posterior odds of this model against a conventional Neokeynesian model with ad-hoc price indexation. The odds are strongly in favor of the imperfect credibility model, suggesting that lack of credibility on the inflation target is an important source of inflation persistence. We use the model to compute the sacrifice ratio associated to 100 basis points inflation target shocks and find that it is (0.83%) in line with previous estimates for Colombia. We also find that the speed at which agents learn in the model has increased, albeit marginally, since the central bank implemented its inflation targeting strategy. Although during this period macroeconomic volatility has fallen, inflation persistence has remained roughly constant suggesting that, so far, the impact of those credibility gains on inflation persistence has been modest.
Volume (Year): (2011)
Issue (Month): (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Clark, Peter K., 1989. "Trend reversion in real output and unemployment," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 15-32, January.
- Carlos Robalo Marques, 2005.
"Inflation persistence: facts or artefacts?,"
Economic Bulletin and Financial Stability Report Articles,
Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Jaime Sarmiento Espinel & Alejandro Ramírez Vigoya*, 2005. "Los costos de la desinflación en Colombia según el modelo Buiter-Miller," REVISTA CUADERNOS DE ECONOMÍA, UN - RCE - CID.
- Raquel Bernal, 2002.
"Monetary Policy Rules In Colombia,"
003251, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Stephanie Schmitt-Grohe & Martin Uribe, 2004.
"Optimal Simple and Implementable Monetary and Fiscal Rules,"
NBER Working Papers
10253, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Schmitt-Grohe, Stephanie & Uribe, Martin, 2007. "Optimal simple and implementable monetary and fiscal rules," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(6), pages 1702-1725, September.
- Stephanie Schmitt-Grohé & Martín Uribe, 2007. "Optimal simple and implementable monetary and fiscal rules," FRB Atlanta Working Paper No. 2007-24, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Schmitt-Grohé, Stephanie & Uribe, Martín, 2004. "Optimal Simple and Implementable Monetary and Fiscal Rules," CEPR Discussion Papers 4334, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Corvoisier, Sandrine & Mojon, Benoît, 2005. "Breaks in the mean of inflation: how they happen and what to do with them," Working Paper Series 0451, European Central Bank.
- Matteo Ciccarelli & Benoît Mojon, 2008.
Working Paper Series
WP-08-05, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Ciccarelli, Matteo & Mojon, Benoît, 2005. "Global inflation," Working Paper Series 0537, European Central Bank.
- Matteo Ciccarelli & Benoît Mojon, 2007. "Global Inflation," Kiel Working Papers 1337, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Matteo Ciccarelli & Benoît Mojon, 2005. "Global Inflation," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 357, Central Bank of Chile.
- José Daniel REYES PEÑA, 2003. "The cost of disinflation in Colombia: -A sacrifice Ratio Approach-," ARCHIVOS DE ECONOMÍA 003579, DEPARTAMENTO NACIONAL DE PLANEACIÓN.
- Martha Misas Arango & Enrique López Enciso & Juan Carlos Parra, 2009.
"La formación de precios en las empresas colombianas: evidencia a partir de una encuesta directa,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
005735, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Martha Misas A. & Enrique López E. & Juan Carlos Parra A., . "La formación de precios en las empresas colombianas: evidencia a partir de una encuesta directa," Borradores de Economia 569, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Andrés González & Franz Hamann, .
"Lack of Credibility, Inflation Persistence and Disinflation in Colombia,"
Borradores de Economia
658, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Andrés Gonzalez & Franz Hamann, 2011. "Lack of Credibility, Inflation Persistence and Disinflation in Colombia," REVISTA DESARROLLO Y SOCIEDAD, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Andrés González G. & Franz Hamann, 2011. "Lack of Credibility, Inflation Persistence and Disinflation in Colombia," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 008737, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Marc Hofstetter, 2004.
"Disinflations in Latin America and the Caribbean: A Free Lunch?,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
506, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Hofstetter, Marc, 2008. "Disinflations in Latin America and the Caribbean: A free lunch?," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 327-345, March.
- Marc Hofstetter, 2006. "Disinflations In Latin America And The Caribbean: A Free Lunch?," DOCUMENTOS CEDE 002375, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Harvey,Andrew C., 1990.
"Forecasting, Structural Time Series Models and the Kalman Filter,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521321969.
- Harvey,Andrew C., 1991. "Forecasting, Structural Time Series Models and the Kalman Filter," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521405737.
- Pau Rabanal & Juan Rubio-Ramírez, 2008.
"Comparing new Keynesian models in the Euro area: a Bayesian approach,"
Spanish Economic Review,
Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 23-40, March.
- Pau Rabanal & Juan Francisco Rubio-Ramirez, 2003. "Comparing New Keynesian models in the Euro area: a Bayesian approach," FRB Atlanta Working Paper No. 2003-30, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Filippo Altissimo & Valentina Corradi, 2000. "Strong Rules for Detecting the Number of Breaks in a Time Series," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0574, Econometric Society.
- Carlos Capistrán & Manuel Ramos-Francia, 2009.
"Inflation Dynamics In Latin America,"
Contemporary Economic Policy,
Western Economic Association International, vol. 27(3), pages 349-362, 07.
- Kozicki, Sharon & Tinsley, P.A., 2005.
"What do you expect? Imperfect policy credibility and tests of the expectations hypothesis,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 421-447, March.
- Sharon Kozicki & P.A.Tinsley, 2001. "What do you expect? : imperfect policy credibility and tests of the expectations hypothesis?," Research Working Paper RWP 01-02, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Altissimo, Filippo & Corradi, Valentina, 2003. "Strong rules for detecting the number of breaks in a time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 117(2), pages 207-244, December.
- Boschen, John F. & Weise, Charles L., 2001. "The Ex Ante Credibility of Disinflation Policy and the Cost of Reducing Inflation," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 323-347, July.
- Javier Gómez & Juan Manuel Julio, 2003.
"Transmission Mechanism and Inflation Targeting: The Case of Colombia's Desinflation,"
Revista de Analisis Economico – Economic Analysis Review,
Ilades-Georgetown University, Universidad Alberto Hurtado/School of Economics and Bussines, vol. 18(2), pages 109-133, December.
- Javier Gómez & Juan Manuel Julio, 2001. "Transmission Mechanism And Inflation Targeting: The Cese Of Colombia'S Disinflation," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 003656, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:col:000090:008920. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Universidad De Los Andes-Cede)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.