Vieillissement et richesse des nations
We examine the consequences of aging on wealth accumulation and growth in a simple overlapping-generations model. We show that, for some given sets of pension rules, aging is always beneficial for growth and development: lengthening the retirement period provides an incentive for saving more, which is always favorable to future generations. Only in the case of a marked increase in the weight of the pay-as-you-go pension system is wealth accumulation reduced and growth lower. We also discuss the utility gains associated to aging, its incidence on labor supply and the fairness of pension rules.JEL codes : D91, H55, D91.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Stanley Fischer, 1989. "Lectures on Macroeconomics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262022834, June.
- Futagami, Koichi & Nakajima, Tetsuya, 2001. "Population Aging and Economic Growth," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 31-44, January.
- repec:cai:reofsp:reof_p1997_61n1_0201 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:cai:reofsp:reof_p1997_60n1_0079 is not listed on IDEAS
- Nourry, C., 1998.
"Stability of Equilibria in the Overlapping Generations Model with Endogenous Labor Supply,"
98a01, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Nourry, Carine, 2001. "Stability of equilibria in the overlapping generations model with endogenous labor supply," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 25(10), pages 1647-1663, October.
- Andrew B. Abel, 1985.
"Capital Accumulation and Uncertain Lifetimes with Adverse Selection,"
NBER Working Papers
1664, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Abel, Andrew B, 1986. "Capital Accumulation and Uncertain Lifetimes with Adverse Selection," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(5), pages 1079-97, September.
- Miles, David K, 1997.
"Modelling the Impact of Demographic Change Upon the Economy,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1762, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Miles, David, 1999. "Modelling the Impact of Demographic Change upon the Economy," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(452), pages 1-36, January.
- Louis Chauvel, 1997. "Chronique des tendances de la société française," Revue de l'OFCE, Programme National Persée, vol. 60(1), pages 79-106.
- Georges Casamatta & Helmuth Cremer & Pierre Pestieau, 2000.
"The Political Economy of Social Security,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
259, CESifo Group Munich.
- CASAMATTA, Georges & CREMER, Helmuth & PESTIEAU, Pierre, 1999. "The political economy of social security," CORE Discussion Papers 1999055, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- CASAMATTA, Georges & CREMER , Helmuth & PESTIEAU, Pierre, . "The political economy of social security," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1475, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Bertrand Crettez & Patricia Le Maitre, 2002. "Optimal age of retirement and population growth," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 15(4), pages 737-755.
- Tabellini, Guido, 1990.
"A Positive Theory of Social Security,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
394, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Louis Dirn, 1997. "Chronique des tendances de la société française," Revue de l'OFCE, Programme National Persée, vol. 61(1), pages 201-226.
- Blanchet, Didier & Kessler, Denis, 1992. "Pension Systems in Transition Economies: Perspectives and Choices Ahead," Public Finance = Finances publiques, , vol. 47(Supplemen), pages 21-33.
- Vincent Touzé & Bruno Ventelou, 2002.
"SIDA et développement : un enjeu mondial,"
Revue de l'OFCE,
Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 0(5), pages 153-174.
- Tirole, Jean, 1985. "Asset Bubbles and Overlapping Generations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1499-1528, November.
- Zhang, Junsen & Zhang, Jie & Lee, Ronald, 2001. "Mortality decline and long-run economic growth," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 485-507, June.
- Dave Turner & Claude Giorno & Alain de Serres & Ann Vourc'h & Pete Richardson, 1998. "The Macroeconomic Implications of Ageing in a Global Context," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 193, OECD Publishing.
- Didier Blanchet, 1995. "Equité, efficacité et fonctions assurantielles de la retraite et de la préretraite," Revue Économique, Programme National Persée, vol. 46(3), pages 993-1002.
- André Masson & Luc Arrondel, 1991. "Que nous enseignent les enquêtes sur les transferts patrimoniaux en France ?," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, vol. 100(4), pages 93-128.
- repec:cai:reofsp:reof_p1997_62n1_0203 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:cai:recosp:reco_p1995_46n3_0993 is not listed on IDEAS
- Louis Dirn, 1997. "Chronique des tendances de la société française," Revue de l'OFCE, Programme National Persée, vol. 62(1), pages 203-232.
- André Masson & Luc Arrondel, 1996. "Gestion du risque et comportements patrimoniaux," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 296(1), pages 63-89.
- Frenkel, Jacob & Razin, Assaf & Sadka, Efraim, 1992.
"International taxation in an integrated world,"
23266, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jacob Frenkel & Assaf Razin & Efraim Sadka, 1991. "International Taxation in an Integrated World," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262061430, June.
- Jacob Frenkel & Assaf Razin & Efraim Sadka, 1991. "International Taxation in an Integrated World," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262512149, June.
- Dominique Darmon & Jean-Michel Hourriez & Philippe L'Hardy, 1991. "Consommation : l'effet du vieillissement," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 243(1), pages 89-104.
- Paul A. Samuelson, 1958. "An Exact Consumption-Loan Model of Interest with or without the Social Contrivance of Money," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 66, pages 467.
- Quang Chi Dinh, 1991. "Le vieillissement de la population sera plus important que prévu," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 243(1), pages 53-60.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cai:reofsp:reof_084_91. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jean-Baptiste de Vathaire)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.