Unfunded pensions and endogenous labor supply
Abstract. A classic result in dynamic public economics, dating back to Aaron (1966) and Samuelson (1975), states that there is no welfare rationale for PAYG pensions in a dynamically-efficient neoclassical economy with exogenous labor supply. This paper argues that this result, under the fairly-mild restriction that the old be no less risk-averse than the young, extends to a neoclassical economy with endogenous labor supply.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vincenzo Galasso & Paola Profeta, 2004.
"Lessons for an Aging Society: The Political Sustainability of Social Security Systems,"
Working Papers, Center for Retirement Research at Boston College
wp2004-7, Center for Retirement Research.
- Vincenzo Galasso & Paola Profeta, 2004. "Lessons for an ageing society: the political sustainability of social security systems," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 19(38), pages 63-115, 04.
- Vincenzo Galasso & Paola Profeta, 2003. "Lessons for an Aging Society: The Political Sustainability of Social Security Systems," Working Papers 244, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- GALASSO, Vincenzo & PROFETA, Paola, 2003. "Lessons for an aging society: the political sustainability of social security systems," CORE Discussion Papers 2003077, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Barbie Martin & Hagedorn Marcus & Kaul Ashok, 2004. "Assessing Aggregate Tests of Efficiency for Dynamic Economies," The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, De Gruyter, vol. 4(1), pages 1-17, December.
- Nourry, Carine, 2001.
"Stability of equilibria in the overlapping generations model with endogenous labor supply,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 25(10), pages 1647-1663, October.
- Nourry, C., 1998. "Stability of Equilibria in the Overlapping Generations Model with Endogenous Labor Supply," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 98a01, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Andrew B. Abel & N. Gregory Mankiw & Lawrence H. Summers & Richard J. Zeckhauser, 1986.
"Assessing Dynamic Efficiency: Theory and Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
2097, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew Abel & Gregory N. Mankiw & Lawrence H. Summers & Richard Zeckhauser, . "Assessing Dynamic Efficiency: Theory and Evidence," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 14-88, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Otrok, Christopher, 2001.
"On measuring the welfare cost of business cycles,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 61-92, February.
- Christopher Otrok, 2000. "On Measuring the Welfare Cost of Business Cycles," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1094, Econometric Society.
- Chris Otrok, 1999. "On Measuring the Welfare Cost of Business Cycles," Virginia Economics Online Papers 318, University of Virginia, Department of Economics.
- Homburg, Stefan, 1990.
"The Efficiency of Unfunded Pension Schemes,"
EconStor Open Access Articles,
ZBW - German National Library of Economics, pages 640-647.
- Luisa Fuster & Ayşe İmrohoroğlu & Selahattin İmrohoroğlu, 2007.
"Elimination of Social Security in a Dynastic Framework,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 74(1), pages 113-145.
- Selahattin Imrohoroglu & Aise Imrohoroglu, 2005. "Elimination of Social Security in a Dynastic Framework," 2005 Meeting Papers 928, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Luisa Fuster & Ayse Imrohoroglu & Selahattin Imrohoroglu, 2004. "Elimination of Social Security in a Dynastic Framework," Macroeconomics 0402008, EconWPA.
- Donald Meyer & Jack Meyer, 2005. "Relative Risk Aversion: What Do We Know?," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 31(3), pages 243-262, December.
- Breyer, Friedrich & Straub, Martin, 1991.
"Welfare effects of unfunded pension systems when labor supply is endogenous,"
Discussion Papers, Series I
252, University of Konstanz, Department of Economics.
- Breyer, Friedrich & Straub, Martin, 1993. "Welfare effects of unfunded pension systems when labor supply is endogenous," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 77-91, January.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Stanley Fischer, 1989. "Lectures on Macroeconomics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262022834, June.
- Dirk Krueger, 2006. "Public Insurance against Idiosyncratic and Aggregate Risk: The Case of Social Security and Progressive Income Taxation," CESifo Economic Studies, CESifo, vol. 52(4), pages 587-620, December.
- Lopez-Garcia, Miguel-Angel, 2008. "On the role of public debt in an OLG model with endogenous labor supply," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 1323-1328, September.
- Anderson, Torben M. & Bhattacharya, Joydeep, 2008.
"On Myopia As Rationale for Social Security,"
Staff General Research Papers
12985, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Samuelson, Paul A, 1975. "Optimum Social Security in a Life-Cycle Growth Model," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 16(3), pages 539-44, October.
- Conesa, Juan Carlos & Garriga, Carlos, 2003. "Status Quo Problem In Social Security Reforms," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(05), pages 691-710, November.
- repec:crr:crrwps:2004-07 is not listed on IDEAS
- Paul A. Samuelson, 1958. "An Exact Consumption-Loan Model of Interest with or without the Social Contrivance of Money," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 66, pages 467.
- Martin Salm, 2010. "Subjective mortality expectations and consumption and saving behaviours among the elderly," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 43(3), pages 1040-1057, August.
- Heijdra, Ben J. & Mierau, Jochen O., 2010. "Growth Effects Of Consumption And Labor-Income Taxation In An Overlapping-Generations Life-Cycle Model," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(S2), pages 151-175, November.
- Frank Caliendo & Emin Gahramanov, 2013. "Myopia and pensions in general equilibrium," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 37(3), pages 375-401, July.
- Guido Cazzavillan & Patrick A. Pintus, 2004. "Robustness of Multiple Equilibria in OLG Economies," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 7(2), pages 456-475, April.
- Juan C. Conesa & Dirk Krueger, 1999. "Social Security Reform with Heterogeneous Agents," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 2(4), pages 757-795, October.
- Thomas F. Cooley & Jorge Soares, 1999. "A Positive Theory of Social Security Based on Reputation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 107(1), pages 135-160, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aah:aarhec:2009-16. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.