Temporal Aggregation and Bandwidth selection in estimating long memory
This article aims at showing that a temporal aggregation and a specific bandwidth reduction lead to the same asymptotic properties in estimating long memory by Geweke and Porter-Hudak's [Journal of Time Series Analysis (1983) vol. 4, pp. 221-237] and Robinson's [Annals of Statistics (1995b) vol. 23, pp. 1630-1661] estimators. In other words, irrespective of the level of temporal aggregation, the asymptotic properties of the estimator are uniquely determined by the number of periodogram ordinates used in the estimation, provided some mild additional assumptions are imposed. Monte Carlo simulations show that this result is a good approximation in finite samples. A real example with the daily US Dollar/French Franc exchange rate series is also provided. Copyright 2007 The Author Journal compilation 2007 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 28 (2007)
Issue (Month): 5 (09)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0143-9782|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=0143-9782|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Breidt, F. Jay & Crato, Nuno & de Lima, Pedro, 1998. "The detection and estimation of long memory in stochastic volatility," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 83(1-2), pages 325-348.
- Hosking, Jonathan R. M., 1996. "Asymptotic distributions of the sample mean, autocovariances, and autocorrelations of long-memory time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 261-284, July.
- Chambers, Marcus J, 1998.
"Long Memory and Aggregation in Macroeconomic Time Series,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(4), pages 1053-72, November.
- Chambers, Marcus J, 1995. "Long Memory and Aggregation in Macroeconomic Time Series," Economics Discussion Papers 2766, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Souza, Leonardo da Rocha de, 2003. "The aliasing effect, the Fejer Kernel and temporally aggregated long memory processes," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 470, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Francis X. Diebold & Glenn D. Rudebusch, 1988.
"Long memory and persistence in aggregate output,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
7, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Lo, Andrew W, 1991.
"Long-Term Memory in Stock Market Prices,"
Econometric Society, vol. 59(5), pages 1279-313, September.
- Lo, Andrew W. (Andrew Wen-Chuan), 1989. "Long-term memory in stock market prices," Working papers 3014-89., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Andrew W. Lo, 1989. "Long-term Memory in Stock Market Prices," NBER Working Papers 2984, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tom Doan, . "RSSTATISTIC: RATS procedure to compute R/S Statistic (classical or Lo's modified)," Statistical Software Components RTS00191, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Smith, Jeremy & Taylor, Nick & Yadav, Sanjay, 1995. "Comparing the Bias and Misspecification in Arfima Models," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 442, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Bisaglia, Luisa & Guegan, Dominique, 1998. "A comparison of techniques of estimation in long-memory processes," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 61-81, March.
- Souza, Leonardo R. & Smith, Jeremy, 2004. "Effects of temporal aggregation on estimates and forecasts of fractionally integrated processes: a Monte-Carlo study," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 487-502.
- Souza, Leonardo R. & Smith, Jeremy, 2002. "Bias in the memory parameter for different sampling rates," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 299-313.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:jtsera:v:28:y:2007:i:5:p:701-722. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.