The aliasing effect, the Fejer Kernel and temporally aggregated long memory processes
This paper derives the spectral density function of aggregated long memory processes in light of the aliasing effect. The results are different from previous analyses in the literature and a small simulation exercise provides evidence in our favour. The main result point to that flow aggregates from long memory processes shall be less biased than stock ones, although both retain the degree of long memory. This result is illustrated with the daily US Dollar/ French Franc exchange rate series.
|Date of creation:||01 Jan 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Praia de Botafogo 190, sala 1100, Rio de Janeiro/RJ - CEP: 22253-900|
Web page: http://epge.fgv.br
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chambers, Marcus J, 1998.
"Long Memory and Aggregation in Macroeconomic Time Series,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(4), pages 1053-72, November.
- Chambers, Marcus J, 1995. "Long Memory and Aggregation in Macroeconomic Time Series," Economics Discussion Papers 2766, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Francis X. Diebold & Glenn D. Rudebusch, 1988.
"Long memory and persistence in aggregate output,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
7, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Brewer, K. R. W., 1973. "Some consequences of temporal aggregation and systematic sampling for ARMA and ARMAX models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 133-154, June.
- Cheung, Yin-Wong, 1993. "Long Memory in Foreign-Exchange Rates," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 11(1), pages 93-101, January.
- Deo, Rohit S. & Hurvich, Clifford M., 2001. "On The Log Periodogram Regression Estimator Of The Memory Parameter In Long Memory Stochastic Volatility Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(04), pages 686-710, August.
- Jan Beran & Dirk Ocker, 2000. "Temporal aggregation of stationary and nonstationary FARIMA (p, d, 0) models," CoFE Discussion Paper 00-22, Center of Finance and Econometrics, University of Konstanz.
- Breidt, F. Jay & Crato, Nuno & de Lima, Pedro, 1998. "The detection and estimation of long memory in stochastic volatility," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 83(1-2), pages 325-348.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fgv:epgewp:470. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Núcleo de Computação da EPGE)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.