Measuring risk attitude of agricultural producers using a mail survey: how consistent are the methods?
A mail survey is used to examine the consistency of alternative risk preference elicitation procedures using five commonly used methods. These elicitation procedures have been used in previous studies to characterise risk preference. Results show little consistency across procedures, supporting strength-of-preference studies. A general recommendation for mail surveys is the development of relatively easy-to-understand risk-preference elicitation procedures that are framed according to the situational construct in question. Copyright Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society Inc. and Blackwell Publishing Ltd 2006.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 50 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 (06)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200|
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1111/(ISSN)1467-8489
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://ordering.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/subs.asp?ref=1467-8489&doi=10.1111/(ISSN)1467-8489|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Halter, A.N. & Mason, Robert, 1978. "Utility Measurement For Those Who Need To Know," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 3(02), December.
- Babcock, Bruce A. & Choi, E. Kwan & Feinerman, Eli, 1993.
"Risk And Probability Premiums For Cara Utility Functions,"
Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 18(01), July.
- Babcock, Bruce A. & Choi, E. Kwan & Feinerman, Eli, 1993. "Risk and Probability Premiums for Cara Utility Function," Staff General Research Papers Archive 596, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Babcock, Bruce A. & Choi, E. Kwan & Feinerman, Eli, 1993. "Risk and Probability Premiums for CARA Utility Functions," ISU General Staff Papers 199307010700001539, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- James S. Dyer & Rakesh K. Sarin, 1982. "Relative Risk Aversion," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 28(8), pages 875-886, August.
- Bard, Sharon K. & Barry, Peter J., 2001. "Assessing Farmers' Attitudes Toward Risk Using The "Closing-In" Method," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 26(01), July.
- Machina, Mark J, 1987. "Choice under Uncertainty: Problems Solved and Unsolved," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 1(1), pages 121-154, Summer.
- Elke U. Weber & Richard A. Milliman, 1997. "Perceived Risk Attitudes: Relating Risk Perception to Risky Choice," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(2), pages 123-144, February.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Tversky, Amos, 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 263-291, March.
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Levine's Working Paper Archive 7656, David K. Levine.
- Ale Smidts, 1997. "The Relationship Between Risk Attitude and Strength of Preference: A Test of Intrinsic Risk Attitude," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(3), pages 357-370, March.
- Joost M.E. Pennings & Philip Garcia, 2001. "Measuring Producers' Risk Preferences: A Global Risk-Attitude Construct," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(4), pages 993-1009.
- Robert B. Barsky & F. Thomas Juster & Miles S. Kimball & Matthew D. Shapiro, 1997. "Preference Parameters and Behavioral Heterogeneity: An Experimental Approach in the Health and Retirement Study," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 112(2), pages 537-579.
- R. R. Officer & A. N. Halter, 1968. "Utility Analysis in a Practical Setting," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 50(2), pages 257-277.
- Wilson, Paul N. & Eidman, Vernon R., 1983. "An Empirical Test Of The Interval Approach For Estimating Risk Preferences," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 8(02), December.
- Paul J. H. Schoemaker, 1990. "Are Risk-Attitudes Related Across Domains and Response Modes?," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 36(12), pages 1451-1463, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)