Cow-Calf Producer Risk Preference Impacts on Retained Ownership Strategies
Considerable efforts have been made to provide cow-calf producers with information to help them make informed decisions about adding value to calves. Despite demonstrated market incentives to retain calves, many producers still sell right after weaning. We postulate this observed behavior is related to producer risk aversion. Our study concludes risk aversion is an important factor affecting calf retention as the most risk-averse producers have more than a 60% probability of selling calves at weaning and the most risk tolerant have less than a 20% probability of selling at weaning.
Volume (Year): 43 (2011)
Issue (Month): 04 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.saea.org/jaae/jaae.htm|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gillespie, Jeffrey M. & Basarir, Aydin & Schupp, Alvin R., 2004.
"Beef Producer Choice in Cattle Marketing,"
Journal of Agribusiness,
Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia, vol. 22(2).
- Gillespie, Jeffrey M. & Basarir, Aydin & Schupp, Alvin R., 2004. "Beef Producer Choice In Cattle Marketing," 2004 Annual Meeting, February 14-18, 2004, Tulsa, Oklahoma 34792, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Fausti, Scott W. & Gillespie, Jeffrey M., 2006.
"Measuring risk attitude of agricultural producers using a mail survey: how consistent are the methods?,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 50(2), June.
- Scott Fausti & Jeffrey Gillespie, 2006. "Measuring risk attitude of agricultural producers using a mail survey: how consistent are the methods?," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 50(2), pages 171-188, 06.
- Hodur, Nancy M. & Leistritz, F. Larry & Nudell, Daniel J. & Clark, Clint & Griffith, Duane & Jensen, Tammie, 2007. "Northern Great Plains Beef Production: Production and Marketing Practices of Cow-Calf Producers," Agribusiness & Applied Economics Report 7643, North Dakota State University, Department of Agribusiness and Applied Economics.
- Joost M.E. Pennings & Philip Garcia, 2001. "Measuring Producers' Risk Preferences: A Global Risk-Attitude Construct," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(4), pages 993-1009.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:joaaec:117953. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.