Cow-Calf Industry Expansion on the Horizon? Market Signals vs. Outside Factors
The cow-calf industry has been in a contraction state since 2008 despite improved calf prices in 2010 and 2011 and what appeared to be a market signal toward expansion. Instead, 2012 and 2013 appear to be headed to two more years of contraction. We examine factors impacting a cow-calf producer’s decision on heifer retention to gain a better understanding of a producer’s decision. Results help to explain the continued decrease in the U.S. herd size despite price signals that appear to favor expansion.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.saea.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Randal R. Rucker & Oscar R. Burt & Jeffrey T. LaFrance, 1984.
"An Econometric Model of Cattle Inventories,"
Monash Economics Working Papers
archive-25, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- repec:ags:jrapmc:122317 is not listed on IDEAS
- Zhao, Huan & Hennessy, David A., 2009. "Rationalizing Time Series Differences Between Cow-Calf And Feeder Returns," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49486, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Roeber, D.L. & Umberger, Wendy J., 2002. "The Value Of Preconditioning Programs In Beef Production Systems," 2002 Annual Meeting, July 28-31, 2002, Long Beach, California 36622, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Yair Mundlak & He Huang, 1996. "International Comparisons of Cattle Cycles," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(4), pages 855-868.
- Williams, Galen S. & Raper, Kellie Curry & DeVuyst, Eric A. & Peel, Derrell S. & McKinney, Doug, 2012. "Determinants of Price Differentials in Oklahoma Value-Added Feeder Cattle Auctions," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 37(1), April.
- Van Tassell, Larry W. & McNeley, Scott M. & MacNeil, Michael D. & Short, Robert E. & Grings, Elaine E., 1997. "Retained Ownership of Beef Cattle When Considering Production and Price Risk," 1997 Annual Meeting, July 13-16, 1997, Reno\Sparks, Nevada 35876, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- David Aadland & DeeVon Bailey, 2001. "Short-Run Supply Responses in the U.S. Beef-Cattle Industry," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(4), pages 826-839.
- Jarvis, Lovell S, 1974. "Cattle as Capital Goods and Ranchers as Portfolio Managers: An Application to the Argentine Cattle Sector," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(3), pages 489-520, May/June.
- repec:ags:jrapmc:122309 is not listed on IDEAS
- Avent, R. Keith & Ward, Clement E. & Lalman, David L., 2004. "Market Valuation of Preconditioning Feeder Calves," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 36(01), April.
- John D. Schmitz, 1997. "Dynamics of Beef Cow Herd Size: An Inventory Approach," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(2), pages 532-542.
- Zimmerman, Lance C. & Schroeder, Ted C. & Dhuyvetter, Kevin C. & Olson, K.C. & Stokka, Gerald L. & Seeger, Jon T. & Grotelueschen, Dale M., 2012. "The Effect of Value-Added Management on Calf Prices at Superior Livestock Auction Video Markets," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 37(1), April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:saea13:143044. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.