Cow-Calf Industry Expansion on the Horizon? Market Signals vs. Outside Factors
The cow-calf industry has been in a contraction state since 2008 despite improved calf prices in 2010 and 2011 and what appeared to be a market signal toward expansion. Instead, 2012 and 2013 appear to be headed to two more years of contraction. We examine factors impacting a cow-calf producer’s decision on heifer retention to gain a better understanding of a producer’s decision. Results help to explain the continued decrease in the U.S. herd size despite price signals that appear to favor expansion.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.saea.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:ags:jrapmc:122317 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:ags:jrapmc:122309 is not listed on IDEAS
- Avent, R. Keith & Ward, Clement E. & Lalman, David L., 2004. "Market Valuation of Preconditioning Feeder Calves," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 36(01), April.
- Randal R. Rucker & Oscar R. Burt & Jeffrey T. LaFrance, 1984.
"An Econometric Model of Cattle Inventories,"
Monash Economics Working Papers
archive-25, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Yair Mundlak & He Huang, 1996. "International Comparisons of Cattle Cycles," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(4), pages 855-868.
- Zimmerman, Lance C. & Schroeder, Ted C. & Dhuyvetter, Kevin C. & Olson, K.C. & Stokka, Gerald L. & Seeger, Jon T. & Grotelueschen, Dale M., 2012. "The Effect of Value-Added Management on Calf Prices at Superior Livestock Auction Video Markets," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 37(1), April.
- Zhao, Huan & Hennessy, David A., 2009. "Rationalizing Time Series Differences Between Cow-Calf And Feeder Returns," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49486, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- David Aadland & DeeVon Bailey, 2001. "Short-Run Supply Responses in the U.S. Beef-Cattle Industry," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(4), pages 826-839.
- Jarvis, Lovell S, 1974. "Cattle as Capital Goods and Ranchers as Portfolio Managers: An Application to the Argentine Cattle Sector," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(3), pages 489-520, May/June.
- Ted C. Schroeder & Allen M. Featherstone, 1990. "Dynamic Marketing and Retention Decisions for Cow-Calf Producers," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 72(4), pages 1028-1040.
- Roeber, D.L. & Umberger, Wendy J., 2002. "The Value Of Preconditioning Programs In Beef Production Systems," 2002 Annual Meeting, July 28-31, 2002, Long Beach, California 36622, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- John D. Schmitz, 1997. "Dynamics of Beef Cow Herd Size: An Inventory Approach," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(2), pages 532-542.
- Van Tassell, Larry W. & McNeley, Scott M. & MacNeil, Michael D. & Short, Robert E. & Grings, Elaine E., 1997. "Retained Ownership of Beef Cattle When Considering Production and Price Risk," 1997 Annual Meeting, July 13-16, 1997, Reno\Sparks, Nevada 35876, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Williams, Galen S. & Raper, Kellie Curry & DeVuyst, Eric A. & Peel, Derrell S. & McKinney, Doug, 2012. "Determinants of Price Differentials in Oklahoma Value-Added Feeder Cattle Auctions," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 37(1), April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:saea13:143044. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.