Determinants of Price Differentials in Oklahoma Value-Added Feeder Cattle Auctions
Many value-added practices cannot be observed by feeder cattle buyers. Third-party verification can decrease market inefficiency associated with this asymmetric information. We evaluate the effectiveness of a verification program, the Oklahoma Quality Beef Network, in increasing received prices. We estimate the value of verification, weaning, vaccinating, certification and phenotypic traits of feeder cattle at Oklahoma auctions. Results indicate that the OQBN program adds $2.39 to $5.74/cwt. Vaccinating calves adds $1.44/cwt, and weaning calves adds $2.05/cwt. Differential values for lot size, average weight, hide color, frame size, conditioning, Brahman influence, gender and other characteristics are also reported.
Volume (Year): 37 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://waeaonline.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schroeder, Ted C. & Mintert, James R. & Brazle, Frank & Grunewald, Orlen C., 1988. "Factors Affecting Feeder Cattle Price Differentials," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 13(01), July.
- Avent, R. Keith & Ward, Clement E. & Lalman, David L., 2004. "Market Valuation of Preconditioning Feeder Calves," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 36(01), pages 173-183, April.
- Avent, R. Keith & Ward, Clement E. & Lalman, David L., 2004. "Market Valuation of Preconditioning Feeder Calves," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 36(01), April.
- Darby, Michael R & Karni, Edi, 1973. "Free Competition and the Optimal Amount of Fraud," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(1), pages 67-88, April.
- Williams, Brian R. & Raper, Kellie Curry & DeVuyst, Eric A. & Peel, Derrell S. & Lalman, David L. & Richards, Chris & Doye, Damona G., 2012. "Demographic Factors Affecting the Adoption of Multiple Value-Added Practices by Oklahoma Cow-Calf Producers," 2012 Annual Meeting, February 4-7, 2012, Birmingham, Alabama 119743, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Kalyn T. Coatney & Dale J. Menkhaus & John D. Schmitz, 1996. "Feeder Cattle Price Determinants: An Hedonic System of Equations Approach," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 18(2), pages 193-211.
- DeeVon Bailey & Monte C. Peterson & B. Wade Brorsen, 1991. "A Comparison of Video Cattle Auction and Regional Market Prices," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 73(2), pages 465-475.
- Bulut, Harun & Lawrence, John D., 2007.
"The Value of Third-Party Certification of Preconditioning Claims at Iowa Feeder Cattle Auctions,"
Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics,
Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 39(03), December.
- Bulut, Harun & Lawrence, John D., 2006. "The Value of Third-Party Certification of Preconditioning Claims at Iowa Feeder Cattle Auctions," Staff General Research Papers Archive 12683, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- McCluskey, Jill J., 1999.
"A Game Theoretic Approach to Organic Foods: An Analysis of Asymmetric Information and Policy,"
2000 Conference (44th), January 23-25, 2000, Sydney, Australia
123706, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- McCluskey, Jill J., 2000. "A Game Theoretic Approach To Organic Foods: An Analysis Of Asymmetric Information And Policy," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 29(1), April.
- Dhuyvetter, Kevin C., 2004. "Preconditioning Beef Calves: Are Expected Premiums Sufficient To Justify The Practice?," 2004 Annual Meeting, June 30-July 2, 2004, Honolulu, Hawaii 36196, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:jlaare:122309. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.