The Value of Third-Party Certification of Preconditioning Claims at Iowa Feeder Cattle Auctions
After controlling a variety of feeder cattle characteristics and market and sale conditions, we estimate the price premiums for preconditioning (vaccinations and minimum 30 days weaning) claims with and without third-party certification (TPC) as $6.15/cwt and $3.40/cwt, respectively, in Iowa feeder cattle auctions. These premiums differ statistically (p-value less than 0.0001) and their difference exceeds the additional participation cost of TPC ($1/cwt) on average. This indicates that the third party certification is valued in the market to credibly signal preconditioning investment under asymmetric information.
|Date of creation:||25 Sep 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, December 2007, vol. 39 no. 3, pp. 625-640|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Iowa State University, Dept. of Economics, 260 Heady Hall, Ames, IA 50011-1070|
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Allen, Douglas W, 1993. "Pot-Bellies, Cattle Breeds and Revealing Signals," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 31(3), pages 481-87, July.
- Chymis, Athanasios G. & James, Harvey S., Jr. & Konduru, Srinivasa & Pierce, Vern L., 2004.
"Asymmetric Information In Cattle Auctions: The Problem Of Revaccinations,"
26039, University of Missouri Columbia, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Athanasios G. Chymis & Harvey S. James & Srinivasa Konduru & Vern L. Pierce & Robert L. Larson, 2007. "Asymmetric information in cattle auctions: the problem of revaccinations," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 36(1), pages 79-88, 01.
- Avent, R. Keith & Ward, Clement E. & Lalman, David L., 2004. "Market Valuation of Preconditioning Feeder Calves," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 36(01), April.
- Hueth, Brent & Lawrence, John D., 2006.
"Quality Management and Information Transmission in Cattle Markets: A Case Study of the Chariton Valley Beef Alliance,"
Staff General Research Papers
11388, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Brent Hueth & John D. Lawrence, 2002. "Quality Management and Information Transmission in Cattle Markets: A Case Study of the Chariton Valley Beef Alliance," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 02-bp40, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Brent Hueth & John D. Lawrence, 2002. "Quality Management and Information Transmission in Cattle Markets: A Case Study of the Chariton Valley Beef Alliance," Midwest Agribusiness Trade Research and Information Center (MATRIC) Publications 02-bp40, Midwest Agribusiness Trade Research and Information Center (MATRIC) at Iowa State University.
- Hatanaka, Maki & Bain, Carmen & Busch, Lawrence, 2005. "Third-party certification in the global agrifood system," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 354-369, June.
- Kevin C. Dhuyvetter & Ted C. Schroeder, 2000. "Price-Weight Relationships for Feeder Cattle," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 48(3), pages 299-310, November.
- Ward, Clement E. & Lalman, David L., 2003. "Price Premiums From A Certified Feeder Calf Preconditioning Program," 2003 Conference, April 21-22, 2003, St. Louis, Missouri 18973, NCR-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Thomas L. Sporleder & Peter D. Goldsmith, 2001. "Alternative Firm Strategies for Signaling Quality in the Food System," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 49(4), pages 591-604, December.
- Dhuyvetter, Kevin C., 2004. "Preconditioning Beef Calves: Are Expected Premiums Sufficient To Justify The Practice?," 2004 Annual Meeting, June 30-July 2, 2004, Honolulu, Hawaii 36196, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:isu:genres:12683. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Curtis Balmer)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.