The Value of Third-Party Certification of Preconditioning Claims at Iowa Feeder Cattle Auctions
After controlling a variety of feeder cattle characteristics and market and sale conditions, we estimate the price premiums for preconditioning (vaccinations and minimum 30 days weaning) claims with and without third-party certification (TPC) as $6.15/cwt and $3.40/cwt, respectively, in Iowa feeder cattle auctions. These premiums differ statistically (p-value less than 0.0001) and their difference exceeds the additional participation cost of TPC ($1/cwt) on average. This indicates that the third party certification is valued in the market to credibly signal preconditioning investment under asymmetric information.
|Date of creation:||25 Sep 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, December 2007, vol. 39 no. 3, pp. 625-640|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chymis, Athanasios G. & James, Harvey S., Jr. & Konduru, Srinivasa & Pierce, Vern L., 2004.
"Asymmetric Information In Cattle Auctions: The Problem Of Revaccinations,"
26039, University of Missouri Columbia, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Athanasios G. Chymis & Harvey S. James & Srinivasa Konduru & Vern L. Pierce & Robert L. Larson, 2007. "Asymmetric information in cattle auctions: the problem of revaccinations," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 36(1), pages 79-88, 01.
- Kevin C. Dhuyvetter & Ted C. Schroeder, 2000. "Price-Weight Relationships for Feeder Cattle," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 48(3), pages 299-310, November.
- Ward, Clement E. & Lalman, David L., 2003. "Price Premiums From A Certified Feeder Calf Preconditioning Program," 2003 Conference, April 21-22, 2003, St. Louis, Missouri 18973, NCR-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Avent, R. Keith & Ward, Clement E. & Lalman, David L., 2004. "Market Valuation of Preconditioning Feeder Calves," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 36(01), April.
- Brent Hueth & John D. Lawrence, 2002.
"Quality Management and Information Transmission in Cattle Markets: A Case Study of the Chariton Valley Beef Alliance,"
Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications
02-bp40, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Hueth, Brent & Lawrence, John D., 2006. "Quality Management and Information Transmission in Cattle Markets: A Case Study of the Chariton Valley Beef Alliance," Staff General Research Papers 11388, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Brent Hueth & John D. Lawrence, 2002. "Quality Management and Information Transmission in Cattle Markets: A Case Study of the Chariton Valley Beef Alliance," Midwest Agribusiness Trade Research and Information Center (MATRIC) Publications 02-bp40, Midwest Agribusiness Trade Research and Information Center (MATRIC) at Iowa State University.
- Hatanaka, Maki & Bain, Carmen & Busch, Lawrence, 2005. "Third-party certification in the global agrifood system," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 354-369, June.
- Thomas L. Sporleder & Peter D. Goldsmith, 2001. "Alternative Firm Strategies for Signaling Quality in the Food System," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 49(4), pages 591-604, December.
- Allen, Douglas W, 1993. "Pot-Bellies, Cattle Breeds and Revealing Signals," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 31(3), pages 481-87, July.
- Dhuyvetter, Kevin C., 2004. "Preconditioning Beef Calves: Are Expected Premiums Sufficient To Justify The Practice?," 2004 Annual Meeting, June 30-July 2, 2004, Honolulu, Hawaii 36196, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:isu:genres:12683. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephanie Bridges)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Stephanie Bridges to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.