The Effect of Value-Added Management on Calf Prices at Superior Livestock Auction Video Markets
Value-added management practices for cow-calf producers have become prevalent as feeders have recognized the value of calves raised with certified health and weaning programs. Export markets requiring age and source verification or non-hormone treated cattle and advancement of markets for naturally raised cattle have also presented profit opportunities for cow-calf producers. This study estimates the value of value-added calf production and marketing programs. Weaned steer calves sold with certified health programs realized $7 to $10 per cwt premiums. Age- and sourceverified steers received $1 to $2 per cwt premiums exceeding added costs of about $0.67 per cwt in 2010 despite rapidly expanding supply.
Volume (Year): 37 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://waeaonline.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schroeder, Ted C. & Tonsor, Glynn T., 2012. "International cattle ID and traceability: Competitive implications for the US," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 31-40.
- Gillespie, Jeffrey M. & Basarir, Aydin & Schupp, Alvin R., 2004.
"Beef Producer Choice in Cattle Marketing,"
Journal of Agribusiness,
Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia, vol. 22(2).
- Gillespie, Jeffrey M. & Basarir, Aydin & Schupp, Alvin R., 2004. "Beef Producer Choice In Cattle Marketing," 2004 Annual Meeting, February 14-18, 2004, Tulsa, Oklahoma 34792, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-838, May.
- Bulut, Harun & Lawrence, John D., 2007. "The Value of Third-Party Certification of Preconditioning Claims at Iowa Feeder Cattle Auctions," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 39(03), December.
- Bulut, Harun & Lawrence, John D., 2006. "The Value of Third-Party Certification of Preconditioning Claims at Iowa Feeder Cattle Auctions," Staff General Research Papers Archive 12683, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Kevin C. Dhuyvetter & Ted C. Schroeder, 2000. "Price-Weight Relationships for Feeder Cattle," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 48(3), pages 299-310, November.
- Kelvin J. Lancaster, 1966. "A New Approach to Consumer Theory," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 74, pages 132-132.
- Charles D. Lambert & Mark S. McNulty & Orlen C. Grunewald & Larry R. Corah, 1989. "An analysis of feeder cattle price differentials," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(1), pages 9-23.
- Kalyn T. Coatney & Dale J. Menkhaus & John D. Schmitz, 1996. "Feeder Cattle Price Determinants: An Hedonic System of Equations Approach," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 18(2), pages 193-211.
- Dhuyvetter, Kevin C., 2004. "Preconditioning Beef Calves: Are Expected Premiums Sufficient To Justify The Practice?," 2004 Annual Meeting, June 30-July 2, 2004, Honolulu, Hawaii 36196, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- K. K. Lancaster, 2010. "A New Approach to Consumer Theory," Levine's Working Paper Archive 1385, David K. Levine.
- Bailey, DeeVon & Peterson, Monte C., 1991. "A Comparison Of Pricing Structures At Video And Traditional Cattle Auctions," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 16(02), December.
- Schroeder, Ted C. & Mintert, James R. & Brazle, Frank & Grunewald, Orlen C., 1988. "Factors Affecting Feeder Cattle Price Differentials," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 13(01), July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)