The Effect of Value-Added Management on Calf Prices at Superior Livestock Auction Video Markets
Value-added management practices for cow-calf producers have become prevalent as feeders have recognized the value of calves raised with certified health and weaning programs. Export markets requiring age and source verification or non-hormone treated cattle and advancement of markets for naturally raised cattle have also presented profit opportunities for cow-calf producers. This study estimates the value of value-added calf production and marketing programs. Weaned steer calves sold with certified health programs realized $7 to $10 per cwt premiums. Age- and sourceverified steers received $1 to $2 per cwt premiums exceeding added costs of about $0.67 per cwt in 2010 despite rapidly expanding supply.
Volume (Year): 37 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://waeaonline.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-838, May.
- K. K. Lancaster, 2010. "A New Approach to Consumer Theory," Levine's Working Paper Archive 1385, David K. Levine.
- Schroeder, Ted C. & Mintert, James R. & Brazle, Frank & Grunewald, Orlen C., 1988. "Factors Affecting Feeder Cattle Price Differentials," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 13(01), July.
- Kalyn T. Coatney & Dale J. Menkhaus & John D. Schmitz, 1996. "Feeder Cattle Price Determinants: An Hedonic System of Equations Approach," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 18(2), pages 193-211.
- Dhuyvetter, Kevin C., 2004. "Preconditioning Beef Calves: Are Expected Premiums Sufficient To Justify The Practice?," 2004 Annual Meeting, June 30-July 2, 2004, Honolulu, Hawaii 36196, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Gillespie, Jeffrey M. & Basarir, Aydin & Schupp, Alvin R., 2004.
"Beef Producer Choice in Cattle Marketing,"
Journal of Agribusiness,
Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia, vol. 22(2).
- Gillespie, Jeffrey M. & Basarir, Aydin & Schupp, Alvin R., 2004. "Beef Producer Choice In Cattle Marketing," 2004 Annual Meeting, February 14-18, 2004, Tulsa, Oklahoma 34792, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Schroeder, Ted C. & Tonsor, Glynn T., 2012. "International cattle ID and traceability: Competitive implications for the US," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 31-40.
- Kevin C. Dhuyvetter & Ted C. Schroeder, 2000. "Price-Weight Relationships for Feeder Cattle," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 48(3), pages 299-310, November.
- Bailey, DeeVon & Peterson, Monte C., 1991. "A Comparison Of Pricing Structures At Video And Traditional Cattle Auctions," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 16(02), December.
- Bulut, Harun & Lawrence, John D., 2007.
"The Value of Third-Party Certification of Preconditioning Claims at Iowa Feeder Cattle Auctions,"
Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics,
Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 39(03), December.
- Bulut, Harun & Lawrence, John D., 2006. "The Value of Third-Party Certification of Preconditioning Claims at Iowa Feeder Cattle Auctions," Staff General Research Papers Archive 12683, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Charles D. Lambert & Mark S. McNulty & Orlen C. Grunewald & Larry R. Corah, 1989. "An analysis of feeder cattle price differentials," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(1), pages 9-23.
- Kelvin J. Lancaster, 1966. "A New Approach to Consumer Theory," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 74, pages 132-132.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:jlaare:122317. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.