The Value of Third-Party Certification of Preconditioning Claims at Iowa Feeder Cattle Auctions
After controlling a variety of feeder cattle characteristics and market and sale conditions in Iowa feeder auctions, the price premiums for preconditioning claims (vaccinations and minimum 30 days of weaning) with and without third-party certification (TPC) are estimated as $6.12/cwt and $3.35/cwt, respectively. These premiums differ statistically (p<0.0001), and their difference exceeds the average participation cost of TPC ($1/cwt). This indicates that TPC is valued in the market to credibly signal preconditioning investment under asymmetric information.
Volume (Year): 39 (2007)
Issue (Month): 03 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.saea.org/jaae/jaae.htm|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Avent, R. Keith & Ward, Clement E. & Lalman, David L., 2004. "Market Valuation of Preconditioning Feeder Calves," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 36(01), pages 173-183, April.
- Hueth, Brent & Lawrence, John D., 2006.
"Quality Management and Information Transmission in Cattle Markets: A Case Study of the Chariton Valley Beef Alliance,"
Staff General Research Papers
11388, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Brent Hueth & John D. Lawrence, 2002. "Quality Management and Information Transmission in Cattle Markets: A Case Study of the Chariton Valley Beef Alliance," Midwest Agribusiness Trade Research and Information Center (MATRIC) Publications 02-bp40, Midwest Agribusiness Trade Research and Information Center (MATRIC) at Iowa State University.
- Brent Hueth & John D. Lawrence, 2002. "Quality Management and Information Transmission in Cattle Markets: A Case Study of the Chariton Valley Beef Alliance," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 02-bp40, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Dhuyvetter, Kevin C., 2004. "Preconditioning Beef Calves: Are Expected Premiums Sufficient To Justify The Practice?," 2004 Annual Meeting, June 30-July 2, 2004, Honolulu, Hawaii 36196, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Kevin C. Dhuyvetter & Ted C. Schroeder, 2000. "Price-Weight Relationships for Feeder Cattle," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 48(3), pages 299-310, November.
- Allen, Douglas W, 1993. "Pot-Bellies, Cattle Breeds and Revealing Signals," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 31(3), pages 481-87, July.
- Hatanaka, Maki & Bain, Carmen & Busch, Lawrence, 2005. "Third-party certification in the global agrifood system," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 354-369, June.
- Chymis, Athanasios G. & James, Harvey S., Jr. & Konduru, Srinivasa & Pierce, Vern L., 2004.
"Asymmetric Information In Cattle Auctions: The Problem Of Revaccinations,"
26039, University of Missouri Columbia, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Athanasios G. Chymis & Harvey S. James & Srinivasa Konduru & Vern L. Pierce & Robert L. Larson, 2007. "Asymmetric information in cattle auctions: the problem of revaccinations," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 36(1), pages 79-88, 01.
- Avent, R. Keith & Ward, Clement E. & Lalman, David L., 2004. "Market Valuation of Preconditioning Feeder Calves," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 36(01), April.
- Thomas L. Sporleder & Peter D. Goldsmith, 2001. "Alternative Firm Strategies for Signaling Quality in the Food System," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 49(4), pages 591-604, December.
- Ward, Clement E. & Lalman, David L., 2003. "Price Premiums From A Certified Feeder Calf Preconditioning Program," 2003 Conference, April 21-22, 2003, St. Louis, Missouri 18973, NCR-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:joaaec:37052. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.