Combining risk perception and risk attitude: A comprehensive individual risk behavior model
Although risk management in farming is a well-documented subject in scientific literature, this same literature is usually used only by other scientist and is not aiding individual farmers in their management. Risk perception and risk attitude are well described determinants of risk behaviour but rarely combined in an integrated approach for risk behaviour research. Furthermore in most literature risk attitude is taken as a given stable personality trait on which the optimal behaviour should be based. We argue that risk attitude can be manageable in order to derive optimal risk behaviour. Based on these findings we develop a comprehensive theoretical basic model on farmers risk behaviour. Furthermore a participatory approach involving the stakeholder, the farmer, to build on this model is presented. This presented model has as final purpose of guiding research on establishing risk management tools applicable by farmers.
|Date of creation:||02 Sep 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.eaae.org|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chavas, Jean-Paul & Kim, Kwansoo, 2001.
"An Econometric Analysis Of The Effects Of Market Liberalization On Price Dynamics And Price Volatility,"
2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL
20649, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Jean-Paul Chavas & Kwansoo Kim, 2006. "An econometric analysis of the effects of market liberalization on price dynamics and price volatility," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 31(1), pages 65-82, March.
- Acs, Szvetlana & Berentsen, Paul B.M. & Huirne, Ruud & van Asseldonk, Marcel, 2009. "Effect of yield and price risk on conversion from conventional to organic farming," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 53(3), September.
- Daniel A. Sumner, 2009. "Recent Commodity Price Movements in Historical Perspective," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 91(5), pages 1250-1256.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Tversky, Amos, 1979.
"Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 263-91, March.
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Levine's Working Paper Archive 7656, David K. Levine.
- Szvetlana Acs & Paul Berentsen & Ruud Huirne & Marcel van Asseldonk, 2009. "Effect of yield and price risk on conversion from conventional to organic farming ," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 53(3), pages 393-411, 07.
- Joost M.E. Pennings & Philip Garcia, 2001. "Measuring Producers' Risk Preferences: A Global Risk-Attitude Construct," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(4), pages 993-1009.
- James S. Dyer & Rakesh K. Sarin, 1982. "Relative Risk Aversion," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 28(8), pages 875-886, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:eaae11:115749. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.