Effect of yield and price risk on conversion from conventional to organic farming
Although the benefits of organic farming are already well known, the conversion to organic farming does not proceed as the Dutch government expected. In order to investigate the conversion decisions of Dutch arable farms, a discrete stochastic dynamic utility-efficient programming (DUEP) model is developed with special attention for yield and price risk of conventional, conversion and organic crops. The model maximizes the expected utility of the farmer depending on the farmer’s risk attitude. The DUEP model is an extension of a dynamic linear programming model that maximized the labour income of conversion from conventional to organic farming over a 10 year planning horizon. The DUEP model was used to model a typical farm for the central clay region in the Netherlands. The results show that for a risk-neutral farmer it is optimal to convert to organic farming. However, for a more risk-averse farmer it is only optimal to fully convert if policy incentives are applied such as taxes on pesticides or subsidies on conversion, or if the market for the organic products becomes more stable.
Volume (Year): 53 (2009)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200|
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James A. Langley & Earl O. Heady & Kent D. Olson, 1982.
"Macro Implications of a Complete Transformation of U.S. Agricultural Production to Organic Farming Practices,"
Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications
82-wp9, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- James A. Langley & Earl O. Heady & Kent D. Olson, 1982. "Macro Implications of a Complete Transformation of U.S. Agricultural Production to Organic Farming Practices," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 82-wp9, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Lien, Gudbrand & Hardaker, J. Brian & Asseldonk, Marcel A.P.M. van & Richardson, James W., 2009. "Risk programming and sparse data: how to get more reliable results," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 101(1-2), pages 42-48, June.
- Hardaker, J. Brian & Lien, Gudbrand D. & Van Asseldonk, Marcel A.P.M. & Richardson, James W. & Hegrenes, Agnar, 2008. "Risk programming and sparse data: how to get more reliable results," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44051, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Harwood, Joy L. & Heifner, Richard G. & Coble, Keith H. & Perry, Janet E. & Somwaru, Agapi, 1999. "Managing Risk in Farming: Concepts, Research, and Analysis," Agricultural Economics Reports 34081, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Pannell, David J. & Malcolm, Bill & Kingwell, Ross S., 2000. "Are we risking too much? Perspectives on risk in farm modelling," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 23(1), June.
- Pannell, David J. & Malcolm, Bill & Kingwell, Ross S., 2000. "Are we risking too much? Perspectives on risk in farm modelling," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 23(1), pages 69-78, June.
- Martin, Sandra, 1996. "Risk Management Strategies in New Zealand Agriculture and Horticulture," Review of Marketing and Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 64(01), April.
- G Lien & JB Hardaker, 2001. "Whole-farm planning under uncertainty: impacts of subsidy scheme and utility function on portfolio choice in Norwegian agriculture," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 28(1), pages 17-36, March.
- Richardson, James W. & Klose, Steven L. & Gray, Allan W., 2000. "An Applied Procedure For Estimating And Simulating Multivariate Empirical (Mve) Probability Distributions In Farm-Level Risk Assessment And Policy Analysis," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 32(02), August.
- Richardson, James W. & Klose, Steven L. & Gray, Allan W., 2000. "An Applied Procedure for Estimating and Simulating Multivariate Empirical (MVE) Probability Distributions In Farm-Level Risk Assessment and Policy Analysis," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 32(02), pages 299-315, August.
- K. D. Cocks, 1968. "Discrete Stochastic Programming," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 15(1), pages 72-79, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)