Dynamic modelling of the demand for money in Latvia
This study develops a money demand model for Latvia for the period from 1996 to 2006. The model isspecified in the error-correction form based on a single co-integrating vector between real money balances, gross domestic product, long-term interest rate, and the rate of inflation. The model meets all three requirements for ‘stability’ put forward in Judd and Scadding (1982). The model is both well-specified and highly parsimonious. It demonstrates high explanatory power in sample as well as accurately forecasting real money balances out of sample.
Volume (Year): 8 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Strelnieku iela 4a, Riga, LV-1010|
Phone: +371 67039320
Fax: +371 67039318
Web page: http://www.biceps.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anindya Banerjee & Massimiliano Marcellino & Chiara Osbat, 2004.
"Some cautions on the use of panel methods for integrated series of macroeconomic data,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 7(2), pages 322-340, December.
- Anindya Banerjee & Massimiliano Marcellino & Chiara Osbat, "undated". "Some Cautions on the Use of Panel Methods for Integrated Series of Macro-Economic Data," Working Papers 170, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Banerjee, A. & Marcellino, M. & Osbat, C., 2000. "Some Cautions on the Use of Panel Methods for Integrated Series of Macro-economic Data," Economics Working Papers eco2000/20, European University Institute.
- Carlo C. A. Winder & Martin M. G. Fase, 1998. "Wealth and the demand for money in the European union," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 507-524.
- Dreger, Christian & Reimers, Hans-Eggert & Roffia, Barbara, 2006.
"Long-run money demand in the new EU Member States with exchange rate effects,"
Working Paper Series
0628, European Central Bank.
- Christian Dreger & Hans-Eggert Reimers & Barbara Roffia, 2007. "Long-Run Money Demand in the New EU Member States with Exchange Rate Effects," Eastern European Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(2), pages 75-94, April.
- Christian Dreger & Hans-Eggert Reimers & Barbara Roffia, 2007. "Long-Run Money Demand in the New EU Member States with Exchange Rate Effects," Eastern European Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 45(2), pages 75-94, April.
- Christian Dreger & Jürgen Wolters, 2006. "Investigating M3 Money Demand in the Euro Area: New Evidence Based on Standard Models," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 561, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Franziska L Ohnsorge & Nienke Oomes, 2005.
"Money Demand and Inflation in Dollarized Economies; The Case of Russia,"
IMF Working Papers
05/144, International Monetary Fund.
- Oomes, Nienke & Ohnsorge, Franziska, 2005. "Money demand and inflation in dollarized economies: The case of Russia," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 462-483, September.
- Robert G. King & Charles I. Plosser & James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1987.
"Stochastic Trends and Economic Fluctuations,"
NBER Working Papers
2229, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Johansen, Søren & Juselius, Katarina, 1992. "Testing structural hypotheses in a multivariate cointegration analysis of the PPP and the UIP for UK," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1-3), pages 211-244.
- Johansen, S., 1991.
"Testing Weak Exogeneity and the Order of Cointegration in UK Money Demand Data,"
78, Helsinki - Department of Economics.
- Johansen, Soren, 1992. "Testing weak exogeneity and the order of cointegration in UK money demand data," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 313-334, June.
- R. Golinelli & R. Orsi, 2001. "Hungary and Poland," Working Papers 424, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Bahmani-Oskooee Mohsen & Shin Sungwon, 2002. "Stability of the Demand for Money in Korea," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(2), pages 85-95.
- Engle, R. & Hendry, D., 1990.
"Testing Super Exogeneity And Invariance In Regression Models,"
Economics Series Working Papers
99100, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Engle, Robert F. & Hendry, David F., 1993. "Testing superexogeneity and invariance in regression models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1-2), pages 119-139, March.
- N. Gregory Mankiw, 1991.
"The Reincarnation of Keynesian Economics,"
NBER Working Papers
3885, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mankiw, N.G., 1991. "The Reincarnation of Keynesian Economoics," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1572, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
- Ivars Tillers, 2004. "Money Demand in Latvia," Working Papers 2004/03, Latvijas Banka.
- Sargent, Thomas J & Wallace, Neil, 1975. ""Rational" Expectations, the Optimal Monetary Instrument, and the Optimal Money Supply Rule," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 83(2), pages 241-254, April.
- Godfrey, Leslie G, 1978. "Testing for Higher Order Serial Correlation in Regression Equations When the Regressors Include Lagged Dependent Variables," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1303-1310, November.
- Stefka Slavova, 2003. "Money demand during hyperinflation and stabilization: Bulgaria, 1991-2000," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(11), pages 1303-1316.
- James Payne, 2003. "Post stabilization estimates of money demand in Croatia: error correction model using the bounds testing approach," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(16), pages 1723-1727.
- Pelipas, Igor, 2006. "Money demand and inflation in Belarus: Evidence from cointegrated VAR," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 200-214, June.
- Osterwald-Lenum, Michael, 1992. "A Note with Quantiles of the Asymptotic Distribution of the Maximum Likelihood Cointegration Rank Test Statistics," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 54(3), pages 461-472, August.
- Markus Knell & Helmut Stix, 2003. "How Robust are Money Demand Estimations? A Meta-Analytic Approach," Working Papers 81, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Michael P. Barry, 2000. "Stability of the Demand for Money in an Unstable Country: Russia," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 22(4), pages 619-629, July.
- Andreea Andronescu & Hassan Mohammadi & James Payne, 2004. "Long-run estimates of money demand in Romania," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(14), pages 861-864.
- Claudia Buch, 2001. "Money demand in Hungary and Poland," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(8), pages 989-999.
- Markus Knell & Helmut Stix, 2006. "Three decades of money demand studies: differences and similarities," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(7), pages 805-818.
- Boriss Siliverstovs, 2008.
"Dynamic modelling of the demand for money in Latvia,"
Baltic Journal of Economics,
Baltic International Centre for Economic Policy Studies, vol. 8(1), pages 53-74, October.
- Boriss Siliverstovs, 2007. "Dynamic Modelling of the Demand for Money in Latvia," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 703, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Hendry, David F, 1988. "The Encompassing Implications of Feedback versus Feedforward Mechanisms in Econometrics," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 40(1), pages 132-149, March.
- Markus Knell & Helmut Stix, 2004. "Three Decades of Money Demand Studies. Some Differences and Remarkable Similarities," Working Papers 88, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bic:journl:v:8:y:2008:i:1:p:53-74. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lelde Jakobsone)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.