Farm Income Variability and the Supply of Off-Farm Labor by Limited-Resource Farmers
We study the relationship between the off-farm labor decision and the limited-resource farmersâ€™ and spousesâ€™ off-farm experience, education, and sources of income. We found that farmersâ€™ and spousesâ€™ off-farm experience and wages are significant factors in explaining the off-farm labor supply decision. Contrary to expectations, farm income variability is not significant in the farmersâ€™ and spousesâ€™ decision to see off-farm work. The off-farm labor supply of farmers and their spouses is negatively correlated with income transfers from the government. It was also found that the spouse is a residual supplier of on-farm and off-farm labor.
Volume (Year): 36 (2004)
Issue (Month): 02 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.saea.org/jaae/jaae.htm|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dismukes, Robert & Harwood, Joy L. & Bentley, Susan E., 1997. "Characteristics and Risk Management Needs of Limited-Resource and Socially Disadvantaged Farmers," Agricultural Information Bulletins 33622, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Oluwole, Adetokunbo B. & Findeis, Jill L., 2001. "An Econometric Analysis Of Off-Farm Labor Participation Among U.S. Farm Families, 1977-1998," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20514, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Johnson, James D. & Perry, Janet E. & Korb, Penelope J. & Sommer, Judith E. & Ryan, James T. & Green, Robert C. & Durst, Ron L. & Monke, James D., 2001. "Structural and Financial Characteristics of U.S. Farms: 2001 Family Farm Report," Agricultural Information Bulletins 33707, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Mishra, Ashok K. & Holthausen, Duncan M., 2002. "Effect of Farm Income and Off-Farm Wage Variability on Off-Farm Labor Supply," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 31(2), October.
- A Corsi & JL Findeis, 2000. "True state dependence and heterogeneity in off-farm labour participation," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 27(2), pages 127-151, June.
- Barry K. Goodwin & Matthew T. Holt, 2002. "Parametric and Semiparametric Modeling of the Off-Farm Labor Supply of Agrarian Households in Transition Bulgaria," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(1), pages 184-209.
- Mishra, Ashok K. & El-Osta, Hisham S. & Morehart, Mitchell J. & Johnson, James D. & Hopkins, Jeffrey W., 2002. "Income, Wealth, And The Economic Well-Being Of Farm Households," Agricultural Economics Reports 33967, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Harwood, Joy L. & Heifner, Richard G. & Coble, Keith H. & Perry, Janet E. & Somwaru, Agapi, 1999. "Managing Risk in Farming: Concepts, Research, and Analysis," Agricultural Economics Reports 34081, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:joaaec:43394. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.