A Composite System Demand Analysis For Fresh Fruits And Vegetables In The United States
Price and expenditure elasticities at retail level for 11 fresh fruits and 10 fresh vegetables were estimated by employing a composite demand system approach and using annual data. Most fresh fruits and vegetables were found to respond significantly to changes in their own prices but insignificantly to changes in total expenditures. The demand for fresh fruit group appeared to have had a clear upward trend since 1973. However, no significant trends were found in the demands for individual fresh fruits or vegetables. The study partially incorporated the interdependent demand relationships between fresh fruits (vegetables) and all other commodities, yet effectively avoided the problem of insufficient degrees of freedom.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chien, Ming-Che & Epperson, James E., 1990. "An Analysis Of The Competitiveness Of Southeastern Fresh Vegetable Crops Using Quadratic Programming," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 22(02), December.
- Huang, Kuo S., 1985.
"U.S Demand for Food: A Complete System of Price and Icome Effects,"
206507, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Huang, Kuo S., 1985. "U.S. Demand for Food: A Complete System of Price and Income Effects," Technical Bulletins 157014, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Choi, Seungmook & Sosin, Kim, 1992. "Structural Change in the Demand for Money," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 24(2), pages 226-38, May.
- Huang, Kuo S & Haidacher, Richard C, 1983. "Estimation of a Composite Food Demand System for the United States," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 1(4), pages 285-91, October.
- Epperson, James E. & Lei, Li-Fen, 1989. "A Regional Analysis Of Vegetable Production With Changing Demand For Row Crops Using Quadratic Programming," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 21(01), July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:jlofdr:27894. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.