World food markets into the 21st century: environmental and resource constraints and policies
Projections of global food supply and demand to the year 2020 indicate that food production in the aggregate is likely to keep pace with growing populations and incomes, and that real food prices will be stable or slowly declining. This article examines the possible environmental and resource constraints to long‐term food production growth and explores the implications of these possible constraints for food and resource policies. The article reviews and synthesises the evidence on biophysical limits to crop productivity; plant genetic resources and biotechnology; the availability of plant nutrients; soil and land degradation; the increasing scarcity and declining quality of water; and the impact of global climate change on agriculture.
Volume (Year): 41 (1997)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200|
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Leuck, Dale J. & Haley, Stephen L. & Liapis, Peter S. & McDonald, Bradley, 1995. "The EU Nitrate Directive and CAP Reform: Effects on Agricultural Production, Trade and Residual Soil Nitrogen," Foreign Agricultural Economic Report (FAER) 148007, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Evenson, Robert E & Gollin, Douglas, 1997.
"Genetic Resources, International Organizations, and Improvement in Rice Varieties,"
Economic Development and Cultural Change,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 45(3), pages 471-500, April.
- Evenson, R.E. & Gollin, D., 1994. "Genetic Resources, International Organizations, and the Rice Varietal Improvement," Papers 713, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Crosson, P. & Anderson, J.R., 1992. "Resources and Global Food Prospects; Supply and demand for Cereals to 2030," Papers 184, World Bank - Technical Papers.
- Bonny, Sylvie, 1993. "Is agriculture using more and more energy? A French case study," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 51-66.
- Seckler, D., 1996. "The new era of water resources management: from \dry\ to \wet\ water savings," IWMI Research Reports H018206, International Water Management Institute.
- Smale, Melinda, 1996. "Understanding Global Trends in the Use of Wheat Diversity and International Flows of Wheat Genetic Resources," Economics Working Papers 7670, CIMMYT: International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aareaj:118055. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.