Econometric modeling of exchange rate volatility and jumps
AbstractThis chapter reviews the rapid advances in foreign exchange volatility modeling made in the last three decades. Academic researchers have sought to fit the three major characteristics of foreign exchange volatility: intraday periodicity, autocorrelation and discontinuities in prices. Early research modeled the autocorrelation in daily and weekly squared foreign exchange returns with ARCH/GARCH models. Increased computing power and availability of high-frequency data allowed later researchers to improve volatility and jumps estimates. Researchers also found it useful to incorporate information about periodic volatility patterns and macroeconomic announcements in their calculations. This article details these volatility and jump estimation methods, compares those methods empirically and provides some suggestions for further research.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis in its series Working Papers with number 2012-008.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-05-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2012-05-02 (Econometrics)
- NEP-MST-2012-05-02 (Market Microstructure)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Berger, David & Chaboud, Alain & Hjalmarsson, Erik, 2009.
"What drives volatility persistence in the foreign exchange market?,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 94(2), pages 192-213, November.
- David Berger & Alain Chaboud & Erik Hjalmarsson & Edward Howorka, 2006. "What drives volatility persistence in the foreign exchange market?," International Finance Discussion Papers 862, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Francq, Christian & Zakoian, Jean-Michel, 2009.
"Bartlett's formula for a general class of non linear processes,"
13224, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Christian Francq & Jean-Michel Zakoïan, 2009. "Bartlett's formula for a general class of nonlinear processes," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(4), pages 449-465, 07.
- Granger, C. W. J., 1980. "Long memory relationships and the aggregation of dynamic models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 227-238, October.
- Sébastien Laurent & Jeroen V. K. Rombouts & Francesco Violante, 2012.
"On the forecasting accuracy of multivariate GARCH models,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 27(6), pages 934-955, 09.
- LAURENT, Sébastien & ROMBOUTS, Jeroen V. K. & VIOLANTE, Francesco, 2010. "On the forecasting accuracy of multivariate GARCH models," CORE Discussion Papers 2010025, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Sébastien Laurent & Jeroen V.K. Rombouts & Francesco Violante, 2010. "On the Forecasting Accuracy of Multivariate GARCH Models," Cahiers de recherche 1021, CIRPEE.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Alain Hecq & Sébastien Laurent & Franz C. Palm, 2011.
"Common Intraday Periodicity,"
Journal of Financial Econometrics,
Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 10(2), pages 325-353, 2012 20 1.
- Torben G. Andersen & Dobrislav Dobrev & Ernst Schaumburg, 2010.
"Jump-robust volatility estimation using nearest neighbor truncation,"
465, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Andersen, Torben G. & Dobrev, Dobrislav & Schaumburg, Ernst, 2012. "Jump-robust volatility estimation using nearest neighbor truncation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 169(1), pages 75-93.
- Torben G. Andersen & Dobrislav Dobrev & Ernst Schaumburg, 2009. "Jump-Robust Volatility Estimation using Nearest Neighbor Truncation," CREATES Research Papers 2009-52, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Torben G. Andersen & Dobrislav Dobrev & Ernst Schaumburg, 2009. "Jump-Robust Volatility Estimation using Nearest Neighbor Truncation," NBER Working Papers 15533, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Torben G. Andersen & Tim Bollerslev & Dobrislav Dobrev, 2007.
"No-Arbitrage Semi-Martingale Restrictions for Continuous-Time Volatility Models subject to Leverage Effects, Jumps and i.i.d. Noise: Theory and Testable Distributional Implications,"
NBER Working Papers
12963, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andersen, Torben G. & Bollerslev, Tim & Dobrev, Dobrislav, 2007. "No-arbitrage semi-martingale restrictions for continuous-time volatility models subject to leverage effects, jumps and i.i.d. noise: Theory and testable distributional implications," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 138(1), pages 125-180, May.
- Savaser, Tanseli, 2011.
"Exchange rate response to macronews: Through the lens of microstructure,"
Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money,
Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 107-126, February.
- Tanseli Savaser, 2007. "Exchange Rate Response to Macro News: Through the Lens of Microstructure," Department of Economics Working Papers 2007-02, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Deschamps, Philippe J., 2011.
"Bayesian Estimation of Generalized Hyperbolic Skewed Student GARCH Models,"
DQE Working Papers
16, Department of Quantitative Economics, University of Freiburg/Fribourg Switzerland, revised 09 Jun 2012.
- Deschamps, Philippe J., 2012. "Bayesian estimation of generalized hyperbolic skewed student GARCH models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 56(11), pages 3035-3054.
- Leonardo Bartolini & Linda Goldberg & Adam Sacarny, 2008. "How economic news moves markets," Current Issues in Economics and Finance, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Aug.
- Frömmel, Michael & Mende, Alexander & Menkhoff, Lukas, 2008.
"Order flows, news, and exchange rate volatility,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 994-1012, October.
- M. Frömmel & A. Mende & L. Menkhoff, 2007. "Order Flows, News, and Exchange Rate Volatility," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 07/474, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Weiss, Andrew A., 1986. "Asymptotic Theory for ARCH Models: Estimation and Testing," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(01), pages 107-131, April.
- Brownlees, C.T. & Gallo, G.M., 2006.
"Financial econometric analysis at ultra-high frequency: Data handling concerns,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 51(4), pages 2232-2245, December.
- Christian T. Brownlees & Giampiero Gallo, 2006. "Financial Econometric Analysis at Ultra–High Frequency: Data Handling Concerns," Econometrics Working Papers Archive wp2006_03, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Statistica, Informatica, Applicazioni "G. Parenti".
- Christian Conrad & Berthold R. Haag, 2006. "Inequality Constraints in the Fractionally Integrated GARCH Model," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 4(3), pages 413-449.
- Michael McAleer & Marcelo Medeiros, 2008.
"Realized Volatility: A Review,"
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 27(1-3), pages 10-45.
- Michel Beine & Sébastien Laurent & Christelle Lecourt, 2002.
"Accounting for conditional leptokurtosis and closing days effects in FIGARCH models of daily exchange rates,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/10443, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Michel Beine & Sebastien Laurent & Christelle Lecourt, 2002. "Accounting for conditional leptokurtosis and closing days effects in FIGARCH models of daily exchange rates," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 12(8), pages 589-600.
- William Melick & Gabriele Galati, 1999. "Perceived central bank intervention and market expectations: an empirical study of the yen/dollar exchange rate, 1993 - 96," BIS Working Papers 77, Bank for International Settlements.
- Francq, Christian & Roy, Roch & Zakoian, Jean-Michel, 2005. "Diagnostic Checking in ARMA Models With Uncorrelated Errors," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 100, pages 532-544, June.
- Baillie, Richard T. & Bollerslev, Tim & Mikkelsen, Hans Ole, 1996.
"Fractionally integrated generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 3-30, September.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Baillie, Bollerslev, Mikkelson FIGARCH results," Statistical Software Components RTZ00009, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Chou, Ray Y. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1992. "ARCH modeling in finance : A review of the theory and empirical evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 5-59.
- Baillie, Richard T., 1996. "Long memory processes and fractional integration in econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 5-59, July.
- DeGennaro, Ramon P. & Shrieves, Ronald E., 1997. "Public information releases, private information arrival and volatility in the foreign exchange market," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 295-315, December.
- Michael McKenzie & Heather Mitchell, 2002. "Generalized asymmetric power ARCH modelling of exchange rate volatility," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 12(8), pages 555-564.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Xiao Xiaohong) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Xiao Xiaohong to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.