Jumps, cojumps and macro announcements
AbstractWe analyze and assess the impact of macroeconomic announcements on the discontinuities in many assets: stock index futures, bond futures, exchange rates, and gold. We use bi-power variation and the recently proposed non-parametric techniques of Lee and Mykland (2006) to extract jumps. Beyond characterizing the jump and cojump dynamics of many assets, we analyze how news arrival causes jumps and cojumps and estimate limited-dependent-variable models to quantify the impact of surprises. We confirm previous findings that some surprises create jumps. However, many announcements do not create jumps and many jumps are not related to announcements. The propensity of surprises to create jumps differs across asset classes, i.e., exchange rates, bonds, stock index. Payroll announcements are most important on stocks and bonds futures markets. Trade related news often creates cojumps on exchange rate markets.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of Applied Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 26 (2011)
Issue (Month): 6 (09)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/0883-7252/
Other versions of this item:
- LAHAYE, Jérôme & LAURENT, Sébastien & NEELY, Christopher J., . "Jumps, cojumps and macro announcements," CORE Discussion Papers RP -2413, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Jérôme Lahaye & Sébastien Laurent & Christopher J. Neely, 2007. "Jumps, cojumps and macro announcements," Working Papers 2007-032, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ole E. Barndorff-Nielsen & Neil Shephard, 2002.
"Estimating quadratic variation using realized variance,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(5), pages 457-477.
- Neil Shephard & Ole E. Barndorff-Nielsen, 2002. "Estimating quadratic variation using realised variance," Economics Series Working Papers 2001-W20, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.