Bartlett's formula for a general class of nonlinear processes
AbstractA Bartlett-type formula is proposed for the asymptotic distribution of the sample autocorrelations of nonlinear processes. The asymptotic covariances between sample autocorrelations are expressed as the sum of two terms. The first term corresponds to the standard Bartlett's formula for linear processes, involving only the autocorrelation function of the observed process. The second term, which is specific to nonlinear processes, involves the autocorrelation function of the observed process, the kurtosis of the linear innovation process and the autocorrelation function of its square. This formula is obtained under a symmetry assumption on the linear innovation process. It is illustrated on ARMA-GARCH models and compared to the standard formula. An empirical application on financial time series is proposed. Copyright 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Time Series Analysis.
Volume (Year): 30 (2009)
Issue (Month): 4 (07)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0143-9782
Other versions of this item:
- Francq, Christian & Zakoian, Jean-Michel, 2009. "Bartlett's formula for a general class of non linear processes," MPRA Paper 13224, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Christian Francq & Jean-Michel Zakoïan, 2008. "Barlett’s Formula for Non Linear Processes," Working Papers 2008-05, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Christian Francq & Roch Roy & Abdessamad Saidi, 2011.
"Asymptotic Properties of Weighted Least Squares Estimation in Weak PARMA Models,"
Journal of Time Series Analysis,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(6), pages 699-723, November.
- Francq, Christian & Roy, Roch & Saidi, Abdessamad, 2011. "Asymptotic properties of weighted least squares estimation in weak parma models," MPRA Paper 28721, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Deniz Erdemlioglu & Sébastien Laurent & Christopher J. Neely, 2012. "Econometric modeling of exchange rate volatility and jumps," Working Papers 2012-008, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- BAUWENS, Luc & HAFNER, Christian & LAURENT, Sébastien, 2011. "Volatility models," CORE Discussion Papers 2011058, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Zakoïan, Jean-Michel & Regnard, Nazim, 2011. "A Conditionally Heteroskedastic Model with Time-varying Coefficients for Daily Gas Spot Prices," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/2603, Paris Dauphine University.
- Boubacar Mainassara, Y. & Carbon, M. & Francq, C., 2012.
"Computing and estimating information matrices of weak ARMA models,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 345-361.
- Boubacar Mainassara, Yacouba & Carbon, Michel & Francq, Christian, 2010. "Computing and estimating information matrices of weak arma models," MPRA Paper 27685, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Su, Nan & Lund, Robert, 2012. "Multivariate versions of Bartlett’s formula," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 105(1), pages 18-31.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.