The Generalised Autocovariance Function
AbstractThe generalised autocovariance function is defined for a stationary stochastic process as the inverse Fourier transform of the power transformation of the spectral density function. Depending on the value of the transformation parameter, this function nests the inverse and the traditional autocovariance functions. A frequency domain non-parametric estimator based on the power transformation of the pooled periodogram is considered and its asymptotic distribution is derived. The results are employed to construct classes of tests of the white noise hypothesis, for clustering and discrimination of stochastic processes and to introduce a novel feature matching estimator of the spectrum.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 43711.
Date of creation: 06 Jun 2012
Date of revision:
Stationary Gaussian processes. Non-parametric spectral estimation. White noise tests. Feature matching. Discriminant Analysis;
Other versions of this item:
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-01-19 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2013-01-19 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2013-01-19 (Econometric Time Series)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Miguel A. Delgado & Javier Hidalgo & Carlos Velasco, 2005.
"Distribution Free Goodness-of-Fit Tests for Linear Processes,"
STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE
/2005/482, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Miguel A. Delgado & Javier Hidalgo & Carlos Velasco, 2005. "Distribution free goodness-of-fit tests for linear processes," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library 6840, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Deo, Rohit S., 2000. "Spectral tests of the martingale hypothesis under conditional heteroscedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 99(2), pages 291-315, December.
- Durlauf, Steven N., 1991.
"Spectral based testing of the martingale hypothesis,"
Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 355-376, December.
- Steven N. Durlauf, 1992. "Spectral Based Testing of the Martingale Hypothesis," NBER Technical Working Papers 0090, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Harvey, A C & Jaeger, A, 1993. "Detrending, Stylized Facts and the Business Cycle," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(3), pages 231-47, July-Sept.
- Ahmed El Ghini & Christian Francq, 2006. "Asymptotic Relative Efficiency of Goodness-Of-Fit Tests Based on Inverse and Ordinary Autocorrelations," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(6), pages 843-855, November.
- Hong, Yongmiao, 1996. "Consistent Testing for Serial Correlation of Unknown Form," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 64(4), pages 837-64, July.
- Tieslau, Margie A. & Schmidt, Peter & Baillie, Richard T., 1996. "A minimum distance estimator for long-memory processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 71(1-2), pages 249-264.
- Luati, Alessandra & Proietti, Tommaso & Reale, Marco, 2011.
"The Variance Profile,"
30378, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alessandra Luati & Tommaso Proietti & Marco Reale, 2012. "The Variance Profile," Journal of the American Statistical Association, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 107(498), pages 607-621, June.
- Tommaso Proietti & Alessandra Luati, 2013. "Generalised Linear Spectral Models," CEIS Research Paper, Tor Vergata University, CEIS 290, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 03 Oct 2013.
- Tommaso Proietti & Alessandra Luati, 2013.
"The Exponential Model for the Spectrum of a Time Series: Extensions and Applications,"
CREATES Research Papers
2013-34, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Proietti, Tommaso & Luati, Alessandra, 2013. "The Exponential Model for the Spectrum of a Time Series: Extensions and Applications," MPRA Paper 45280, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tommaso Proietti & Alessandra Luati, 2013. "The Exponential Model for the Spectrum of a Time Series: Extensions and Applications," CEIS Research Paper, Tor Vergata University, CEIS 272, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 19 Apr 2013.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.