A conditionally heteroskedastic model with time-varying coefficients for daily gas spot prices
AbstractA novel GARCH(1,1) model, with coefficients function of the realizations of an exogenous process, is considered for the volatility of daily gas prices. A distinctive feature of the model is that it produces non-stationary solutions. The probability properties, and the convergence and asymptotic normality of the Quasi-Maximum Likelihood Estimator (QMLE) have been derived by Regnard and Zakoian (2009). The prediction properties of the model are considered. We derive a strongly consistent estimator of the asymptotic variance of the QMLE. An application to daily gas spot prices from the Zeebruge market is presented. Apart from conditional heteroskedasticity, an empirical finding is the existence of distinct volatility regimes depending on the temperature level.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 22642.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
GARCH; Gas prices; Nonstationary models; Periodic models; Quasi-maximum likelihood estimation; Time-varying coefficients;
Other versions of this item:
- Regnard, Nazim & Zakoïan, Jean-Michel, 2011. "A conditionally heteroskedastic model with time-varying coefficients for daily gas spot prices," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 1240-1251.
- Zakoïan, Jean-Michel & Regnard, Nazim, 2011. "A Conditionally Heteroskedastic Model with Time-varying Coefficients for Daily Gas Spot Prices," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/2603, Paris Dauphine University.
- C53 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Forecasting and Prediction Models; Simulation Methods
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-05-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2010-05-22 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ENE-2010-05-22 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-ETS-2010-05-22 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-ORE-2010-05-22 (Operations Research)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kwiatkowski, D. & Phillips, P.C.B. & Schmidt, P., 1990.
"Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of Unit Root : How Sure are we that Economic Time Series have a Unit Root?,"
8905, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Kwiatkowski, Denis & Phillips, Peter C. B. & Schmidt, Peter & Shin, Yongcheol, 1992. "Testing the null hypothesis of stationarity against the alternative of a unit root : How sure are we that economic time series have a unit root?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 159-178.
- Denis Kwiatkowski & Peter C.B. Phillips & Peter Schmidt, 1991. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of a Unit Root: How Sure Are We That Economic Time Series Have a Unit Root?," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 979, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Hamilton, James D. & Susmel, Raul, 1994.
"Autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity and changes in regime,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 64(1-2), pages 307-333.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to estimate Hamilton-Susmel Markov Switching ARCH model," Statistical Software Components RTZ00083, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Koopman, Siem Jan & Ooms, Marius & Carnero, M. Angeles, 2007.
"Periodic Seasonal Reg-ARFIMAGARCH Models for Daily Electricity Spot Prices,"
Journal of the American Statistical Association,
American Statistical Association, vol. 102, pages 16-27, March.
- Siem Jan Koopman & Marius Ooms & M. Angeles Carnero, 2005. "Periodic Seasonal Reg-ARFIMA-GARCH Models for Daily Electricity Spot Prices," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 05-091/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Bollerslev, T. & Ghysels, E., 1994.
"Periodic Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity,"
Cahiers de recherche
9408, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Ghysels, Eric, 1996. "Periodic Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 14(2), pages 139-51, April.
- Bollerslev, T. & Ghysels, E., 1994. "Periodic Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity," Cahiers de recherche 9408, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Francq, Christian & Zakoian, Jean-Michel, 2009.
"Bartlett's formula for a general class of non linear processes,"
13224, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Christian Francq & Jean-Michel Zakoïan, 2009. "Bartlett's formula for a general class of nonlinear processes," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(4), pages 449-465, 07.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Lance J. Bachmeier & James M. Griffin, 2006. "Testing for Market Integration: Crude Oil, Coal, and Natural Gas," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 55-72.
- Panagiotidis, Theodore & Rutledge, Emilie, 2007. "Oil and gas markets in the UK: Evidence from a cointegrating approach," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 329-347, March.
- Christian Francq & Antony Gautier, 2004. "Large sample properties of parameter least squares estimates for time-varying arma models," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(5), pages 765-783, 09.
- Hamilton, James D, 1989. "A New Approach to the Economic Analysis of Nonstationary Time Series and the Business Cycle," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 357-84, March.
- Frank Asche & Petter Osmundsen & Maria Sandsmark, 2006. "The UK Market for Natural Gas, Oil and Electricity: Are the Prices Decoupled?," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 27-40.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501.
- Cai, Jun, 1994. "A Markov Model of Switching-Regime ARCH," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 12(3), pages 309-16, July.
- Francq, Christian & Gautier, Antony, 2004. "Estimation of time-varying ARMA models with Markovian changes in regime," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 70(4), pages 243-251, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.