A conditionally heteroskedastic model with time-varying coefficients for daily gas spot prices
AbstractA novel GARCH(1,1) model, with coefficients function of the realizations of an exogenous process, is considered for the volatility of daily gas prices. A distinctive feature of the model is that it produces non-stationary solutions. The probability properties, and the convergence and asymptotic normality of the Quasi-Maximum Likelihood Estimator (QMLE) have been derived by Regnard and Zakoian (2009). The prediction properties of the model are considered. We derive a strongly consistent estimator of the asymptotic variance of the QMLE. An application to daily gas spot prices from the Zeebruge market is presented. Apart from conditional heteroskedasticity, an empirical finding is the existence of distinct volatility regimes depending on the temperature level.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 22642.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
GARCH; Gas prices; Nonstationary models; Periodic models; Quasi-maximum likelihood estimation; Time-varying coefficients;
Other versions of this item:
- Regnard, Nazim & Zakoïan, Jean-Michel, 2011. "A conditionally heteroskedastic model with time-varying coefficients for daily gas spot prices," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 1240-1251.
- C53 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Forecasting and Prediction Models; Simulation Methods
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-05-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2010-05-22 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ENE-2010-05-22 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-ETS-2010-05-22 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-ORE-2010-05-22 (Operations Research)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Panagiotidis, Theodore & Rutledge, Emilie, 2007. "Oil and gas markets in the UK: Evidence from a cointegrating approach," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 329-347, March.
- Christian Francq & Antony Gautier, 2004. "Large sample properties of parameter least squares estimates for time-varying arma models," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(5), pages 765-783, 09.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.