Periodic Dynamic Conditional Correlations between Stock Markets in Europe and the US
AbstractThis study extends the dynamic conditional correlation model to allow day-specific correlations of shocks across international stock markets. The properties of the resulting periodic dynamic conditional correlation (PDCC) model are examined, with the model then applied to study the intra-week interactions between six developed European stock markets and the US over the period 1993 - 2005. We find very strong evidence of periodic effects in the conditional correlations of the shocks. The highest correlations are generally observed on Thursdays, with these Thursday correlations in some cases being twice those on Monday or Tuesday. Prior to estimating the PDCC model, periodic mean and volatility effects are removed using a PAR model for returns combined with a periodic EGARCH specification for the variance equation. Strong periodic mean effects are found for returns in the French, Italian and Spanish stock markets, whereas such effects are present in volatility for all stock markets except Italy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economics, The University of Manchester in its series The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series with number 0629.
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Manchester M13 9PL
Phone: (0)161 275 4868
Fax: (0)161 275 4812
Web page: http://www.socialsciences.manchester.ac.uk/subjects/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Denise R. Osborn & Christos S. Savva & Len Gill, 2008. "Periodic Dynamic Conditional Correlations between Stock Markets in Europe and the US," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 6(3), pages 307-325, Summer.
- Christos S. Savva & Denise R. Osborn & Len Gill, 2006. "Periodic Dynamic Conditional Correlations between Stock Markets in Europe and the US," Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series 77, Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dick van Dijk & Haris Munandar & Christian M. Hafner, 2005.
"The Euro Introduction and Non-Euro Currencies,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
05-044/4, Tinbergen Institute, revised 08 Jun 2006.
- François Longin, 2001. "Extreme Correlation of International Equity Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(2), pages 649-676, 04.
- Bollerslev, T. & Ghysels, E., 1994.
"Periodic Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity,"
Cahiers de recherche
9408, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Ghysels, Eric, 1996. "Periodic Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 14(2), pages 139-51, April.
- Bollerslev, T. & Ghysels, E., 1994. "Periodic Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity," Cahiers de recherche 9408, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- French, Kenneth R., 1980. "Stock returns and the weekend effect," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 55-69, March.
- Mahendra Chandra, 2006. "The day-of-the-week effect in conditional correlation," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 27(3), pages 297-310, November.
- Ghysels,Eric & Osborn,Denise R., 2001.
"The Econometric Analysis of Seasonal Time Series,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521562607.
- Dubois, M. & Louvet, P., 1996. "The day-of-the-week effect: The international evidence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(9), pages 1463-1484, November.
- Jorge Brusa & Pu Liu & Craig Schulman, 2005. "Weekend Effect, 'Reverse' Weekend Effect, and Investor Trading Activities," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(7-8), pages 1495-1517.
- Peiro, Amado, 1994. "Daily seasonality in stock returns : Further international evidence," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 227-232, June.
- Sheppard, Kevin & Cappiello, Lorenzo & Engle, Robert F., 2003.
"Asymmetric dynamics in the correlations of global equity and bond returns,"
Working Paper Series
0204, European Central Bank.
- Lorenzo Cappiello & Robert F. Engle & Kevin Sheppard, 2006. "Asymmetric Dynamics in the Correlations of Global Equity and Bond Returns," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 4(4), pages 537-572.
- Abraham, Abraham & Ikenberry, David L., 1994. "The Individual Investor and the Weekend Effect," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 29(02), pages 263-277, June.
- Kiymaz, Halil & Berument, Hakan, 2003. "The day of the week effect on stock market volatility and volume: International evidence," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 363-380.
- Keim, Donald B & Stambaugh, Robert F, 1984. " A Further Investigation of the Weekend Effect in Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(3), pages 819-35, July.
- Lakonishok, Josef & Levi, Maurice, 1982. " Weekend Effects on Stock Returns: A Note," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 37(3), pages 883-89, June.
- Christos Savva & Denise R Osborn & Len Gill, 2005. "Volatility, spillover Effects and Correlations in US and Major European Markets," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2005 23, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Andrew Clare & Ian Garrett & Greg Jones, 1997. "Testing for seasonal patterns in conditional return volatility: evidence from Asia-Pacific markets," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(5), pages 517-523.
- Philip Hans Franses & Richard Paap, 2000. "Modelling day-of-the-week seasonality in the S&P 500 index," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(5), pages 483-488.
- Baillie, R.T. & Degennaro, R.P., 1988.
"Stock Returns And Volatility,"
8803, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- G. Kohers & N. Kohers & V. Pandey & T. Kohers, 2004. "The disappearing day-of-the-week effect in the world's largest equity markets," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(3), pages 167-171.
- Tse, Y K & Tsui, Albert K C, 2002. "A Multivariate Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity Model with Time-Varying Correlations," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(3), pages 351-62, July.
- Y. -F. Gau & M. Hau, 2004. "Public information, private information, inventory control, and volatility of intraday NTD/USD exchange rates," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(4), pages 263-266.
- Kim, Suk Joong & Moshirian, Fariborz & Wu, Eliza, 2005. "Dynamic stock market integration driven by the European Monetary Union: An empirical analysis," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(10), pages 2475-2502, October.
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-70, March.
- Gibbons, Michael R & Hess, Patrick, 1981. "Day of the Week Effects and Asset Returns," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 54(4), pages 579-96, October.
- Rogalski, Richard J, 1984. " New Findings Regarding Day-of-the-Week Returns over Trading and Non-trading Periods: A Note," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(5), pages 1603-14, December.
- Osborn, Denise R., 1991. "The implications of periodically varying coefficients for seasonal time-series processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 373-384, June.
- Marie Briere & Ariane Chapelle & Ariane Szafarz, 2012.
"No contagion, only globalization and flight to quality,"
Working Papers CEB
12-010, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Brière, Marie & Chapelle, Ariane & Szafarz, Ariane, 2012. "No contagion, only globalization and flight to quality," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 1729-1744.
- Marie Briere & Ariane Chapelle & Ariane Szafarz, 2008. "No contagion, only globalization and flight to quality," DULBEA Working Papers 08-22.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Szafarz, Ariane & Chapelle, Ariane & Brière, Marie, 2012. "No contagion, only globalization and flight to quality," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/7746, Paris Dauphine University.
- Marie Briere & Ariane Chapelle & Ariane Szafarz, 2012. "No Contagion, only Globalization and Flight to Quality," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/149092, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marianne Sensier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.