A conditionally heteroskedastic model with time-varying coefficients for daily gas spot prices
This paper examines the relationship between gas spot prices at the Zeebrugge market, one-month ahead Brent prices and temperatures over the period 2000–2005. A cointegration analysis is carried out and it is discovered that a cointegration relationship exists between the three series. To take into account the influence of temperature on the gas volatility, a GARCH(1,1) model with temperature-dependent coefficients is considered. Stability and estimation properties are discussed. An empirical finding is the existence of distinct volatility regimes for the volatility of gas prices, depending on the temperature level.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Francq, Christian & Gautier, Antony, 2004. "Estimation of time-varying ARMA models with Markovian changes in regime," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 70(4), pages 243-251, December.
- Bollerslev, T. & Ghysels, E., 1994.
"Periodic Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity,"
Cahiers de recherche
9408, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Ghysels, Eric, 1996. "Periodic Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 14(2), pages 139-151, April.
- Bollerslev, T. & Ghysels, E., 1994. "Periodic Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity," Cahiers de recherche 9408, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Lance J. Bachmeier & James M. Griffin, 2006. "Testing for Market Integration: Crude Oil, Coal, and Natural Gas," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 55-72.
- Frank Asche & Petter Osmundsen & Maria Sandsmark, 2006. "The UK Market for Natural Gas, Oil and Electricity: Are the Prices Decoupled?," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 27-40.
- Denis Kwiatkowski & Peter C.B. Phillips & Peter Schmidt, 1991.
"Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of a Unit Root: How Sure Are We That Economic Time Series Have a Unit Root?,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
979, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Kwiatkowski, Denis & Phillips, Peter C. B. & Schmidt, Peter & Shin, Yongcheol, 1992. "Testing the null hypothesis of stationarity against the alternative of a unit root : How sure are we that economic time series have a unit root?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 159-178.
- Kwiatkowski, D. & Phillips, P.C.B. & Schmidt, P., 1990. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of Unit Root : How Sure are we that Economic Time Series have a Unit Root?," Papers 8905, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "KPSS: RATS procedure to perform KPSS (Kwiatowski, Phillips, Schmidt, and Shin) stationarity test," Statistical Software Components RTS00100, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Christos S. Savva & Denise R. Osborn & Len Gill, 2006.
"Periodic Dynamic Conditional Correlations between Stock Markets in Europe and the US,"
The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series
0629, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Denise R. Osborn & Christos S. Savva & Len Gill, 2008. "Periodic Dynamic Conditional Correlations between Stock Markets in Europe and the US," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 6(3), pages 307-325, Summer.
- Christos S. Savva & Denise R. Osborn & Len Gill, 2006. "Periodic Dynamic Conditional Correlations between Stock Markets in Europe and the US," Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series 77, Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester.
- Graham Elliott & Thomas J. Rothenberg & James H. Stock, 1992.
"Efficient Tests for an Autoregressive Unit Root,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0130, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Abdelouahab Bibi & Christian Francq, 2003. "Consistent and asymptotically normal estimators for cyclically time-dependent linear models," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer;The Institute of Statistical Mathematics, vol. 55(1), pages 41-68, March.
- Abdelhakim Aknouche & Abdelouahab Bibi, 2009. "Quasi-maximum likelihood estimation of periodic GARCH and periodic ARMA-GARCH processes," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(1), pages 19-46, 01.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501, December.
- Panagiotidis, Theodore & Rutledge, Emilie, 2007. "Oil and gas markets in the UK: Evidence from a cointegrating approach," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 329-347, March.
- Rajae Azrak & Guy Melard, 2006. "Asymptotic properties of quasi-maximum likelihood estimators for ARMA models with time-dependent coefficients," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/13758, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Abdelhakim Aknouche & Nadia Rabehi, 2010. "On an independent and identically distributed mixture bilinear time-series model," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(2), pages 113-131, 03.
- Li, C W & Li, W K, 1996. "On a Double-Threshold Autoregressive Heteroscedastic Time Series Model," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(3), pages 253-274, May-June.
- Christian Francq & Jean-Michel Zakoïan, 2009.
"Bartlett's formula for a general class of nonlinear processes,"
Journal of Time Series Analysis,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(4), pages 449-465, 07.
- Francq, Christian & Zakoian, Jean-Michel, 2009. "Bartlett's formula for a general class of non linear processes," MPRA Paper 13224, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hyllerberg, S. & Engle, R.F. & Granger, C.W.J. & Yoo, B.S., 1988.
"Seasonal Integration And Cointegration,"
0-88-2, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Hamilton, James D, 1989. "A New Approach to the Economic Analysis of Nonstationary Time Series and the Business Cycle," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 357-384, March.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Christian Francq & Antony Gautier, 2004. "Large sample properties of parameter least squares estimates for time-varying arma models," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(5), pages 765-783, 09.
- Nazim Regnard & Jean-Michel Zakoïan, 2010. "Structure and estimation of a class of nonstationary yet nonexplosive GARCH models," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(5), pages 348-364, 09.
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-370, March.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Raul Susmel & Andrew Thompson, 1997. "Volatility, storage and convenience: Evidence from natural gas markets," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(1), pages 17-43, 02.
- Hamilton, James D. & Susmel, Raul, 1994.
"Autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity and changes in regime,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 64(1-2), pages 307-333.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS programs to estimate Hamilton-Susmel Markov Switching ARCH model," Statistical Software Components RTZ00083, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Koopman, Siem Jan & Ooms, Marius & Carnero, M. Angeles, 2007.
"Periodic Seasonal Reg-ARFIMAGARCH Models for Daily Electricity Spot Prices,"
Journal of the American Statistical Association,
American Statistical Association, vol. 102, pages 16-27, March.
- Siem Jan Koopman & Marius Ooms & M. Angeles Carnero, 2005. "Periodic Seasonal Reg-ARFIMA-GARCH Models for Daily Electricity Spot Prices," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 05-091/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Rajae Azrak & Guy Mélard, 2006. "Asymptotic Properties of Quasi-Maximum Likelihood Estimators for ARMA Models with Time-Dependent Coefficients," Statistical Inference for Stochastic Processes, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 279-330, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:eneeco:v:33:y:2011:i:6:p:1240-1251. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.