Periodic Dynamic Conditional Correlations between Stock Markets in Europe and the US
This study extends the dynamic conditional correlation model of Engle (2002, Journal of Business and Economic Statistics 20, 339--350) to allow periodic (day-specific) conditional correlations of shocks across international stock markets. The properties of the resulting periodic dynamic conditional correlation (PDCC) model are examined, focusing particularly on stationarity and the implications for unconditional shock correlations. When applied to the intraweek interactions between six developed European stock markets and the United States over 1993--2005, we find very strong evidence of periodic conditional correlations for the shocks. The highest correlations are generally observed on Thursdays, with these sometimes being twice those on Monday or Tuesday. In addition to these PDCC effects, strong day-of-the-week effects are found in mean returns for the French, Italian, and Spanish stock markets, while periodic effects are also present in volatility for all stock markets except Italy. Copyright The Author 2008. Published by Oxford University Press. All rights reserved. For Permissions, please e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, Oxford University Press.
Volume (Year): 6 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 (Summer)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://jfec.oxfordjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.oup.co.uk/journals|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- François Longin, 2001. "Extreme Correlation of International Equity Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(2), pages 649-676, 04.
- Peiro, Amado, 1994. "Daily seasonality in stock returns : Further international evidence," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 227-232, June.
- Kim, Suk Joong & Moshirian, Fariborz & Wu, Eliza, 2005. "Dynamic stock market integration driven by the European Monetary Union: An empirical analysis," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(10), pages 2475-2502, October.
- Andrew Clare & Ian Garrett & Greg Jones, 1997. "Testing for seasonal patterns in conditional return volatility: evidence from Asia-Pacific markets," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(5), pages 517-523.
- Gibbons, Michael R & Hess, Patrick, 1981. "Day of the Week Effects and Asset Returns," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 54(4), pages 579-96, October.
- Lorenzo Cappiello & Robert F. Engle & Kevin Sheppard, 2006.
"Asymmetric Dynamics in the Correlations of Global Equity and Bond Returns,"
Journal of Financial Econometrics,
Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 4(4), pages 537-572.
- Sheppard, Kevin & Cappiello, Lorenzo & Engle, Robert F., 2003. "Asymmetric dynamics in the correlations of global equity and bond returns," Working Paper Series 0204, European Central Bank.
- Lumsdaine, Robin L, 1995. "Finite-Sample Properties of the Maximum Likelihood Estimator in GARCH(1,1) and IGARCH(1,1) Models: A Monte Carlo Investigation," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(1), pages 1-10, January.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521565882 is not listed on IDEAS
- G. Kohers & N. Kohers & V. Pandey & T. Kohers, 2004. "The disappearing day-of-the-week effect in the world's largest equity markets," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(3), pages 167-171.
- Lakonishok, Josef & Levi, Maurice, 1982. " Weekend Effects on Stock Returns: A Note," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 37(3), pages 883-89, June.
- Penman, Stephen H., 1987. "The distribution of earnings news over time and seasonalities in aggregate stock returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 199-228, June.
- Bollerslev, T. & Ghysels, E., 1994.
"Periodic Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity,"
Cahiers de recherche
9408, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Ghysels, Eric, 1996. "Periodic Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 14(2), pages 139-51, April.
- Bollerslev, T. & Ghysels, E., 1994. "Periodic Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity," Cahiers de recherche 9408, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Keim, Donald B & Stambaugh, Robert F, 1984. " A Further Investigation of the Weekend Effect in Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(3), pages 819-35, July.
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-70, March.
- Rogalski, Richard J, 1984. " New Findings Regarding Day-of-the-Week Returns over Trading and Non-trading Periods: A Note," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(5), pages 1603-14, December.
- Bala Arshanapalli & Edmond d'Ouville & Frank Fabozzi & Lorne Switzer, 2006. "Macroeconomic news effects on conditional volatilities in the bond and stock markets," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(5), pages 377-384.
- Y. -F. Gau & M. Hau, 2004. "Public information, private information, inventory control, and volatility of intraday NTD/USD exchange rates," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(4), pages 263-266.
- Robert F. Engle & Kevin Sheppard, 2001.
"Theoretical and Empirical properties of Dynamic Conditional Correlation Multivariate GARCH,"
NBER Working Papers
8554, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Engle, Robert F & Sheppard, Kevin K, 2001. "Theoretical and Empirical Properties of Dynamic Conditional Correlation Multivariate GARCH," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt5s2218dp, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Martens, Martin & Poon, Ser-Huang, 2001. "Returns synchronization and daily correlation dynamics between international stock markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(10), pages 1805-1827, October.
- Baillie, R.T. & Degennaro, R.P., 1988.
"Stock Returns And Volatility,"
8803, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Dubois, M. & Louvet, P., 1996. "The day-of-the-week effect: The international evidence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(9), pages 1463-1484, November.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:20050044 is not listed on IDEAS
- Foster, F Douglas & Viswanathan, S, 1990. "A Theory of the Interday Variations in Volume, Variance, and Trading Costs in Securities Markets," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(4), pages 593-624.
- Mahendra Chandra, 2006. "The day-of-the-week effect in conditional correlation," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 27(3), pages 297-310, November.
- Tse, Y K & Tsui, Albert K C, 2002. "A Multivariate Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity Model with Time-Varying Correlations," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(3), pages 351-62, July.
- Abraham, Abraham & Ikenberry, David L., 1994. "The Individual Investor and the Weekend Effect," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 29(02), pages 263-277, June.
- French, Kenneth R., 1980. "Stock returns and the weekend effect," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 55-69, March.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521562607 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ercan Balaban & Asli Bayar & Ozgur Berk Kan, 2001. "Stock returns, seasonality and asymmetric conditional volatility in world equity markets," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(4), pages 263-268.
- Osborn, Denise R., 1991. "The implications of periodically varying coefficients for seasonal time-series processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 373-384, June.
- Bessembinder, Hendrik & Hertzel, Michael G, 1993. "Return Autocorrelations around Nontrading Days," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(1), pages 155-89.
- Christos Savva & Denise R Osborn & Len Gill, 2005. "Volatility, spillover Effects and Correlations in US and Major European Markets," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2005 23, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Kiymaz, Halil & Berument, Hakan, 2003. "The day of the week effect on stock market volatility and volume: International evidence," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 363-380.
- Jorge Brusa & Pu Liu & Craig Schulman, 2005. "Weekend Effect, 'Reverse' Weekend Effect, and Investor Trading Activities," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(7-8), pages 1495-1517.
- Philip Hans Franses & Richard Paap, 2000. "Modelling day-of-the-week seasonality in the S&P 500 index," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(5), pages 483-488.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:jfinec:v:6:y:2008:i:3:p:307-325. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.