The impact of portfolio aggregation on day-of-the-week effect: Evidence from Finland
This paper revisits the day-of-the-week anomaly discussion from a portfolio aggregation point of view. Using different levels of portfolio aggregation: market, industry and company levels, it is possible to partly trace the aggregation level of the effect of the factors driving the day-of-the-week anomaly. The effect of portfolio aggregation is measured using a conditional modeling approach. Overall, the results indicate more pronounced day-of-the-week structures in the conditional volatility than in the mean returns and considerably more day-of-the-week structures during the post-euro period. For this period the results indicate that the day-of-the-week effect in the mean is partly a common Finnish market characteristic whereas the day-of-the-week effect in the volatility is found on the industry level of portfolio aggregation.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jaffe, Jeffrey & Westerfield, Randolph, 1985. "Patterns in Japanese Common Stock Returns: Day of the Week and Turn of the Year Effects," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(02), pages 261-272, June.
- Stephen Keef & Melvin Roush, 2005. "Day-of-the-week effects in the pre-holiday returns of the Standard & Poor's 500 stock index," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(2), pages 107-119.
- Kiymaz, Halil & Berument, Hakan, 2003. "The day of the week effect on stock market volatility and volume: International evidence," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 363-380.
- Gibbons, Michael R & Hess, Patrick, 1981. "Day of the Week Effects and Asset Returns," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 54(4), pages 579-96, October.
- Richard A. Ajayi & Seyed Mehdian & Mark J. Perry, 2004. "The Day-of-the-Week Effect in Stock Returns : Further Evidence from Eastern European Emerging Markets," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 40(4), pages 53-62, July.
- Dimitar Tonchev & Tae-Hwan Kim, 2004. "Calendar effects in Eastern European financial markets: evidence from the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Slovenia," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(14), pages 1035-1043.
- Berument, Hakan & Coskun, M. Nejat & Sahin, Afsin, 2007. "Day of the week effect on foreign exchange market volatility: Evidence from Turkey," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 87-97, January.
- Ravindra Kamath & Rinjai Chakornpipat & Arjun Chatrath, 1998. "Return distributions and the day-of-the-week effects in the stock exchange of Thailand," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 22(2), pages 97-107, June.
- Chris Brooks & Gita Persand, 2001. "Seasonality in Southeast Asian stock markets: some new evidence on day-of-the-week effects," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(3), pages 155-158.
- M. J. Fields, 1931. "Stock Prices: A Problem in Verification," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 4, pages 415.
- Kaushik Bhattacharya & Nityananda Sarkar & Debabrata Mukhopadhyay, 2003. "Stability of the day of the week effect in return and in volatility at the Indian capital market: a GARCH approach with proper mean specification," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(8), pages 553-563.
- Jinghan Cai & Yuming Li & Yuehua Qi, 2006. "The Day-of-the-Week Effect: New Evidence from the Chinese Stock Market," Chinese Economy, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 39(2), pages 71-88, April.
- French, Kenneth R., 1980. "Stock returns and the weekend effect," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 55-69, March.
- G. Kohers & N. Kohers & V. Pandey & T. Kohers, 2004. "The disappearing day-of-the-week effect in the world's largest equity markets," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(3), pages 167-171.
- Aggarwal, Raj & Schatzberg, John D., 1997. "Day of the week effects, information seasonality, and higher moments of security returns," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 1-20, February.
- Ercan Balaban & Asli Bayar & Ozgur Berk Kan, 2001. "Stock returns, seasonality and asymmetric conditional volatility in world equity markets," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(4), pages 263-268.
- Steeley, James M., 2001. "A note on information seasonality and the disappearance of the weekend effect in the UK stock market," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(10), pages 1941-1956, October.
- Keim, Donald B & Stambaugh, Robert F, 1984. " A Further Investigation of the Weekend Effect in Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(3), pages 819-35, July.
- Josef Lakonishok, Seymour Smidt, 1988. "Are Seasonal Anomalies Real? A Ninety-Year Perspective," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 1(4), pages 403-425.
- Riza Demirer & M. Baha Karan, 2002. "An Investigation of the Day-of-the-Week Effect on Stock Returns in Turkey," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 38(6), pages 47-77, December.
- Sunil Poshakwale & Victor Murinde, 2001. "Modelling the volatility in East European emerging stock markets: evidence on Hungary and Poland," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(4), pages 445-456.
- Sinclair Davidson & Robert Faff, 1999. "Some additional Australian evidence on the day-of-the-week effect," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(4), pages 247-249.
- Dubois, M. & Louvet, P., 1996. "The day-of-the-week effect: The international evidence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(9), pages 1463-1484, November.
- Nabeel Al-Loughani & David Chappell, 2001. "Modelling the day-of-the-week effect in the Kuwait Stock Exchange: a nonlinear GARCH representation," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(4), pages 353-359.
- Connolly, Robert A., 1989. "An Examination of the Robustness of the Weekend Effect," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(02), pages 133-169, June.
- Chang, Eric C. & Pinegar, J. Michael & Ravichandran, R., 1993. "International Evidence on the Robustness of the Day-of-the-Week Effect," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 28(04), pages 497-513, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:glofin:v:20:y:2009:i:1:p:67-79. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.