A note on information seasonality and the disappearance of the weekend effect in the UK stock market
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Chang, Eric C. & Michael Pinegar, J. & Ravichandran, R., 1998. "US day-of-the-week effects and asymmetric responses to macroeconomic news," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 513-534, May.
- Womack, Kent L, 1996. " Do Brokerage Analysts' Recommendations Have Investment Value?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(1), pages 137-167, March.
- Dimson, Elroy & Marsh, Paul, 1986. "Event study methodologies and the size effect : The case of UK press recommendations," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 113-142, September.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1991.
"Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation,"
Econometric Society, pages 817-858.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1988. "Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 877R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Jul 1989.
- Zainudin Arsad & J. Andrew Coutts, 1997. "Security price anomalies in the London International Stock Exchange: a 60 year perspective," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(5), pages 455-464.
- Newey, Whitney & West, Kenneth, 2014.
"A simple, positive semi-definite, heteroscedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", pages 125-132.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987. "A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-708, May.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986. "A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix," NBER Technical Working Papers 0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kim, Chan-Wung & Park, Jinwoo, 1994. "Holiday Effects and Stock Returns: Further Evidence," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 29(01), pages 145-157, March.
- Theobald, Michael & Price, Vera, 1984. " Seasonality Estimation in Thin Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(2), pages 377-392, June.
- Chang, Eric C. & Pinegar, J. Michael & Ravichandran, R., 1993. "International Evidence on the Robustness of the Day-of-the-Week Effect," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 28(04), pages 497-513, December.
- Terence Mills & J. Andrew Coutts, 1995. "Calendar effects in the London Stock Exchange FT-SE indices," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(1), pages 79-93.
- French, Kenneth R., 1980. "Stock returns and the weekend effect," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 55-69, March.
- Ariel, Robert A, 1990. " High Stock Returns before Holidays: Existence and Evidence on Possible Causes," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(5), pages 1611-1626, December.
- Lakonishok, Josef & Maberly, Edwin, 1990. " The Weekend Effect: Trading Patterns of Individual and Institutional Investors," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(1), pages 231-243, March.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Olson, Dennis & Mossman, Charles & Chou, Nan-Ting, 2015. "The evolution of the weekend effect in US markets," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 58(C), pages 56-63.
- Doyle, John R. & Chen, Catherine Huirong, 2012. "A multidimensional classification of market anomalies: Evidence from 76 price indices," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 1237-1257.
- Högholm, Kenneth & Knif, Johan, 2009. "The impact of portfolio aggregation on day-of-the-week effect: Evidence from Finland," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 67-79.
- Doyle, John R. & Chen, Catherine Huirong, 2009. "The wandering weekday effect in major stock markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(8), pages 1388-1399, August.
- Lucey, Brian M., 2006. "Investigating the determinants of the Wednesday seasonal in Irish Equities," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 62-76, March.
- Auer, Benjamin R., 2014. "Daily seasonality in crude oil returns and volatilities," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(C), pages 82-88.
- Cho, Young-Hyun & Linton, Oliver & Whang, Yoon-Jae, 2007.
"Are there Monday effects in stock returns: A stochastic dominance approach,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, pages 736-755.
- Cho, Young-Hyun & Linton, Oliver & Whang, Yoon-Jae, 2006. "Are there Monday effects in stock returns: a stochastic dominance approach," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24520, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Yoon-Jae Whang & Young-Hyun Cho & Oliver Linton, 2006. "Are there Monday effects in Stock Returns: A Stochastic Dominance Approach," FMG Discussion Papers dp568, Financial Markets Group.
- Meneu, Vicente & Pardo, Angel, 2004. "Pre-holiday effect, large trades and small investor behaviour," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 231-246, March.
- Georgios Bampinas & Stilianos Fountas & Theodore Panagiotidis, 2016.
"The day-of-the-week effect is weak: Evidence from the European real estate sector,"
Journal of Economics and Finance,
Springer;Academy of Economics and Finance, vol. 40(3), pages 549-567, July.
- Georgios Bampinas & Stilianos Fountas & Theodore Panagiotidis, 2015. "The Day-of-the-Week Effect is Weak: Evidence from the European Real Estate Sector," Working Paper series 15-19, Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Georgios Bampinas & Stilianos Fountas & Theodore Panagiotidis, 2015. "The day-of-the-week effect is weak: Evidence from the European Real Estate Sector," Discussion Paper Series 2015_02, Department of Economics, University of Macedonia, revised May 2015.
- Yang, Ann Shawing, 2016. "Calendar trading of Taiwan stock market: A study of holidays on trading detachment and interruptions," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 28(C), pages 140-154.
- Linton, O. & Wu, J., 2016. "A coupled component GARCH model for intraday and overnight volatility," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 1671, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Razvan STEFANESCU & Ramona DUMITRIU, 2011. "The SAD Cycle for the Bucharest Stock Exchange," Risk in Contemporary Economy, "Dunarea de Jos" University of Galati, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, pages 372-377.
- Äijö, Janne, 2008. "Impact of US and UK macroeconomic news announcements on the return distribution implied by FTSE-100 index options," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 242-258.
- Krzysztof Borowski, 2015. "Analysis of the Weekend Effect on the Markets of 121 Equity Indices and 29 Commodities," Eurasian Journal of Business and Management, Eurasian Publications, vol. 3(4), pages 23-35.
- Nikkinen, Jussi & Omran, Mohammed & Sahlstrom, Petri & Aijo, Janne, 2006. "Global stock market reactions to scheduled U.S. macroeconomic news announcements," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 92-104, September.
- Hülya Cengiz & Ömer Bilen & Ali Hakan Büyüklü & Gülizar Damgacı, 2017. "Stock market anomalies: the day of the week effects, evidence from Borsa Istanbul," Journal of Global Entrepreneurship Research, Springer;UNESCO Chair in Entrepreneurship, vol. 7(1), pages 1-11, December.
- Oliver Linton & Jianbin Wu, 2017. "A coupled component GARCH model for intraday and overnight volatility," CeMMAP working papers CWP05/17, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Jeffrey E. Jarrett, 2008. "Predicting Daily Stock Returns: A Lengthy Study of the Hong Kong and Tokyo Stock Exchanges," International Journal of Business and Economics, College of Business and College of Finance, Feng Chia University, Taichung, Taiwan, vol. 7(1), pages 37-51, April.
- Andreas Georgantopoulos & Anastasios Tsamis, 2011. "Investigating Seasonal Patterns in Developing Countries: The Case of FYROM Stock Market," International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Econjournals, vol. 1(4), pages 211-219.
- Dumitriu, Ramona & Stefanescu, Razvan & Nistor, Costel, 2011. "Analysis of within – month effects on the Bucharest stock exchange," MPRA Paper 36562, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 09 Feb 2012.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbfina:v:25:y:2001:i:10:p:1941-1956. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbf .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.