Are local or international influences responsible for the pre-holiday behaviour of Irish equities?
The pre-holiday behaviour of equity price and return indices on the Irish Stock Exchange do not display consistent positive pre-holiday returns. This is contrary to the majority of studies in this area, and the result is found across a number of sectoral indices. The analysis also indicates that these curious results are driven by local, as opposed to international, influences.
Volume (Year): 15 (2005)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAFE20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zainudin Arsad & J. Andrew Coutts, 1997. "Security price anomalies in the London International Stock Exchange: a 60 year perspective," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(5), pages 455-464.
- Paul Brockman & David Michayluk, 1998. "The persistent holiday effect: additional evidence," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(4), pages 205-209.
- Josef Lakonishok, Seymour Smidt, 1988. "Are Seasonal Anomalies Real? A Ninety-Year Perspective," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 1(4), pages 403-425.
- Cadsby, Charles Bram & Ratner, Mitchell, 1992. "Turn-of-month and pre-holiday effects on stock returns: Some international evidence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 497-509, June.
- Pettengill, Glenn N, 1989. "Holiday Closings and Security Returns," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 12(1), pages 57-67, Spring.
- Barone, E., 1990. "The italian stock market : Efficiency and calendar anomalies," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(2-3), pages 483-510, August.
- Bhardwaj, Ravinder K & Brooks, LeRoy D, 1992. "Stock Price and Degree of Neglect as Determinants of Stock Returns," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 15(2), pages 101-12, Summer.
- Theobald, Michael & Price, Vera, 1984. " Seasonality Estimation in Thin Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(2), pages 377-92, June.
- Brian Lucey, 2000. "Anomalous daily seasonality in Ireland?," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(10), pages 637-640.
- Kim, Chan-Wung & Park, Jinwoo, 1994. "Holiday Effects and Stock Returns: Further Evidence," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 29(01), pages 145-157, March.
- M. J. Fields, 1934. "Security Prices and Stock Exchange Holidays in Relation to Short Selling," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 7, pages 328.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apfiec:v:15:y:2005:i:6:p:381-389. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.