Periodic Dynamic Conditional Correlations between Stock Markets in Europe and the US
This study extends the dynamic conditional correlation model to allow day-specific correlations of shocks across international stock markets. The properties of the resulting periodic dynamic conditional correlation (PDCC) model are examined, with the model then applied to study the intra-week interactions between six developed European stock markets and the US over the period 1993 - 2005. We find very strong evidence of periodic effects in the conditional correlations of the shocks. The highest correlations are generally observed on Thursdays, with these Thursday correlations in some cases being twice those on Monday or Tuesday. Prior to estimating the PDCC model, periodic mean and volatility effects are removed using a PAR model for returns combined with a periodic EGARCH specification for the variance equation. Strong periodic mean effects are found for returns in the French, Italian and Spanish stock markets, whereas such effects are present in volatility for all stock markets except Italy.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (0)161 275 4868
Fax: (0)161 275 4812
Web page: http://www.socialsciences.manchester.ac.uk/subjects/economics/our-research/centre-for-growth-and-business-cycle-research/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521562607 is not listed on IDEAS
- Y. -F. Gau & M. Hau, 2004. "Public information, private information, inventory control, and volatility of intraday NTD/USD exchange rates," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(4), pages 263-266.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Ghysels, Eric, 1996.
"Periodic Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 14(2), pages 139-51, April.
- Bollerslev, T. & Ghysels, E., 1994. "Periodic Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity," Cahiers de recherche 9408, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Bollerslev, T. & Ghysels, E., 1994. "Periodic Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity," Cahiers de recherche 9408, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Abraham, Abraham & Ikenberry, David L., 1994. "The Individual Investor and the Weekend Effect," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 29(02), pages 263-277, June.
- Rogalski, Richard J, 1984. " New Findings Regarding Day-of-the-Week Returns over Trading and Non-trading Periods: A Note," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(5), pages 1603-14, December.
- French, Kenneth R., 1980. "Stock returns and the weekend effect," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 55-69, March.
- Ercan Balaban & Asli Bayar & Ozgur Berk Kan, 2001. "Stock returns, seasonality and asymmetric conditional volatility in world equity markets," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(4), pages 263-268.
- Baillie, R.T. & Degennaro, R.P., 1988.
"Stock Returns And Volatility,"
8803, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Christos Savva & Denise R Osborn & Len Gill, 2005. "Volatility, spillover Effects and Correlations in US and Major European Markets," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2005 23, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Osborn, Denise R., 1991. "The implications of periodically varying coefficients for seasonal time-series processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 373-384, June.
- Engle, Robert F & Sheppard, Kevin K, 2001.
"Theoretical and Empirical Properties of Dynamic Conditional Correlation Multivariate GARCH,"
University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series
qt5s2218dp, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Robert F. Engle & Kevin Sheppard, 2001. "Theoretical and Empirical properties of Dynamic Conditional Correlation Multivariate GARCH," NBER Working Papers 8554, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bala Arshanapalli & Edmond d'Ouville & Frank Fabozzi & Lorne Switzer, 2006. "Macroeconomic news effects on conditional volatilities in the bond and stock markets," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(5), pages 377-384.
- Kiymaz, Halil & Berument, Hakan, 2003. "The day of the week effect on stock market volatility and volume: International evidence," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 363-380.
- Andrew Clare & Ian Garrett & Greg Jones, 1997. "Testing for seasonal patterns in conditional return volatility: evidence from Asia-Pacific markets," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(5), pages 517-523.
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-70, March.
- Lorenzo Cappiello & Robert F. Engle & Kevin Sheppard, 2006.
"Asymmetric Dynamics in the Correlations of Global Equity and Bond Returns,"
Journal of Financial Econometrics,
Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 4(4), pages 537-572.
- Sheppard, Kevin & Cappiello, Lorenzo & Engle, Robert F., 2003. "Asymmetric dynamics in the correlations of global equity and bond returns," Working Paper Series 0204, European Central Bank.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521565882 is not listed on IDEAS
- Martens, Martin & Poon, Ser-Huang, 2001. "Returns synchronization and daily correlation dynamics between international stock markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(10), pages 1805-1827, October.
- Dick van Dijk & Haris Munandar & Christian Hafner, 2011.
"The euro introduction and noneuro currencies,"
Applied Financial Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(1-2), pages 95-116.
- Jorge Brusa & Pu Liu & Craig Schulman, 2005. "Weekend Effect, 'Reverse' Weekend Effect, and Investor Trading Activities," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(7-8), pages 1495-1517.
- Bessembinder, Hendrik & Hertzel, Michael G, 1993. "Return Autocorrelations around Nontrading Days," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(1), pages 155-89.
- François Longin, 2001. "Extreme Correlation of International Equity Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(2), pages 649-676, 04.
- Lumsdaine, Robin L, 1995. "Finite-Sample Properties of the Maximum Likelihood Estimator in GARCH(1,1) and IGARCH(1,1) Models: A Monte Carlo Investigation," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(1), pages 1-10, January.
- Dubois, M. & Louvet, P., 1996. "The day-of-the-week effect: The international evidence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(9), pages 1463-1484, November.
- Gibbons, Michael R & Hess, Patrick, 1981. "Day of the Week Effects and Asset Returns," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 54(4), pages 579-96, October.
- Lakonishok, Josef & Levi, Maurice, 1982. " Weekend Effects on Stock Returns: A Note," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 37(3), pages 883-89, June.
- G. Kohers & N. Kohers & V. Pandey & T. Kohers, 2004. "The disappearing day-of-the-week effect in the world's largest equity markets," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(3), pages 167-171.
- Penman, Stephen H., 1987. "The distribution of earnings news over time and seasonalities in aggregate stock returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 199-228, June.
- Kim, Suk Joong & Moshirian, Fariborz & Wu, Eliza, 2005. "Dynamic stock market integration driven by the European Monetary Union: An empirical analysis," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(10), pages 2475-2502, October.
- Mahendra Chandra, 2006. "The day-of-the-week effect in conditional correlation," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 27(3), pages 297-310, November.
- Tse, Y K & Tsui, Albert K C, 2002. "A Multivariate Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity Model with Time-Varying Correlations," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(3), pages 351-62, July.
- Peiro, Amado, 1994. "Daily seasonality in stock returns : Further international evidence," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 227-232, June.
- Keim, Donald B & Stambaugh, Robert F, 1984. " A Further Investigation of the Weekend Effect in Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(3), pages 819-35, July.
- repec:hal:journl:hal-00287137 is not listed on IDEAS
- Philip Hans Franses & Richard Paap, 2000. "Modelling day-of-the-week seasonality in the S&P 500 index," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(5), pages 483-488.
- Foster, F Douglas & Viswanathan, S, 1990. "A Theory of the Interday Variations in Volume, Variance, and Trading Costs in Securities Markets," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(4), pages 593-624.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:man:cgbcrp:77. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marianne Sensier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.