Bartlett's formula for a general class of non linear processes
AbstractA Bartlett-type formula is proposed for the asymptotic distribution of the sample autocorrelations of nonlinear processes. The asymptotic covariances between sample autocorrelations are expressed as the sum of two terms. The first term corresponds to the standard Bartlett's formula for linear processes, involving only the autocorrelation function of the observed process. The second term, which is specific to nonlinear processes, involves the autocorrelation function of the observed process, the kurtosis of the linear innovation process and the autocorrelation function of its square. This formula is obtained under a symmetry assumption on the linear innovation process. An application to GARCH models is proposed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 13224.
Date of creation: 05 Feb 2009
Date of revision:
Bartlett's formula; nonlinear time series model; sample autocorrelation; GARCH model; weak white noise;
Other versions of this item:
- Christian Francq & Jean-Michel Zakoïan, 2009. "Bartlett's formula for a general class of nonlinear processes," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(4), pages 449-465, 07.
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-02-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2009-02-14 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2009-02-14 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-ORE-2009-02-14 (Operations Research)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christian Francq & Jean-Michel Zakoïan, 2008. "Barlett’s Formula for Non Linear Processes," Working Papers 2008-05, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Deniz Erdemlioglu & Sébastien Laurent & Christopher J. Neely, 2012. "Econometric modeling of exchange rate volatility and jumps," Working Papers 2012-008, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- BAUWENS, Luc & HAFNER, Christian & LAURENT, Sébastien, 2011. "Volatility models," CORE Discussion Papers 2011058, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Francq, Christian & Roy, Roch & Saidi, Abdessamad, 2011.
"Asymptotic properties of weighted least squares estimation in weak parma models,"
28721, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Christian Francq & Roch Roy & Abdessamad Saidi, 2011. "Asymptotic Properties of Weighted Least Squares Estimation in Weak PARMA Models," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(6), pages 699-723, November.
- Su, Nan & Lund, Robert, 2012. "Multivariate versions of Bartlett’s formula," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 105(1), pages 18-31.
- Zakoïan, Jean-Michel & Regnard, Nazim, 2011. "A Conditionally Heteroskedastic Model with Time-varying Coefficients for Daily Gas Spot Prices," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/2603, Paris Dauphine University.
- Boubacar Mainassara, Y. & Carbon, M. & Francq, C., 2012.
"Computing and estimating information matrices of weak ARMA models,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 345-361.
- Boubacar Mainassara, Yacouba & Carbon, Michel & Francq, Christian, 2010. "Computing and estimating information matrices of weak arma models," MPRA Paper 27685, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.