Social Science & Medicine
2012, Volume 74, Issue 3
- 444-451 Altered social cohesion and adverse psychological experiences with chronic food insecurity in the non-market economy and complex households of Burkina Faso
by Nanama, Siméon & Frongillo, Edward A.
- 452-459 Women’s social networks and birth attendant decisions: Application of the Network-Episode Model
by Edmonds, Joyce K. & Hruschka, Daniel & Bernard, H. Russell & Sibley, Lynn
2012, Volume 74, Issue 2
- 103-111 Domestic violence and child nutrition in Liberia
by Sobkoviak, Rudina M. & Yount, Kathryn M. & Halim, Nafisa
- 112-119 Emotion awareness and coping in children with functional abdominal pain: A controlled study
by van der Veek, Shelley M.C. & Derkx, H.H.F. & de Haan, Else & Benninga, Marc A. & Boer, Frits
- 120-124 Maternal leave policies and vaccination coverage: A global analysis
by Daku, Mark & Raub, Amy & Heymann, Jody
- 125-134 Canaries in a coalmine: Immigration and overweight among Mexican-origin children in the US and Mexico
by Van Hook, Jennifer & Baker, Elizabeth & Altman, Claire E. & Frisco, Michelle L.
- 135-142 Household migration, social support, and psychosocial health: The perspective from migrant-sending areas
by Lu, Yao
- 143-149 Beyond symptoms: Defining primary care mental health clinical assessment priorities, content and process
by Lynch, Johanna M. & Askew, Deborah A. & Mitchell, Geoffrey K. & Hegarty, Kelsey L.
- 150-157 Five years later: Recovery from post traumatic stress and psychological distress among low-income mothers affected by Hurricane Katrina
by Paxson, Christina & Fussell, Elizabeth & Rhodes, Jean & Waters, Mary
- 158-166 Long-term association of economic inequality and mortality in adult Costa Ricans
by Modrek, Sepideh & Dow, William H. & Rosero-Bixby, Luis
- 167-175 Coupling infectious diseases, human preventive behavior, and networks – A conceptual framework for epidemic modeling
by Mao, Liang & Yang, Yan
- 176-184 Health information seeking and use outside of the medical encounter: Is it associated with race and ethnicity?
by Rooks, Ronica N. & Wiltshire, Jacqueline C. & Elder, Keith & BeLue, Rhonda & Gary, Lisa C.
- 185-195 Exploring the connections between HIV serostatus and individual, household, and community socioeconomic resources: Evidence from two population-based surveys in Kenya
by Ishida, Kanako & Arnold, Michael & Stupp, Paul & Kizito, Paul & Ichwara, Jared
- 196-201 Rising preterm birth rates, 1989–2004: Changing demographics or changing obstetric practice?
by VanderWeele, Tyler J. & Lantos, John D. & Lauderdale, Diane S.
- 202-210 Social capital and social inequality in adolescents’ health in 601 Flemish communities: A multilevel analysis
by De Clercq, B. & Vyncke, V. & Hublet, A. & Elgar, F.J. & Ravens-Sieberer, U. & Currie, C. & Hooghe, M. & Ieven, A. & Maes, L.
- 211-219 Disability and dignity-enabling home environments
by Gibson, Barbara E. & Secker, Barbara & Rolfe, Debbie & Wagner, Frank & Parke, Bob & Mistry, Bhavnita
- 220-227 Model of health? Distributed preparedness and multi-agency interventions surrounding UK regional airports
by Warren, Adam & Bell, Morag & Budd, Lucy
- 228-235 Network structures and their relevance to the policy cycle: A case study of The National Male Health Policy of Australia
by Holden, Carol A. & Lin, Vivian
- 236-244 Capitals and capabilities: Linking structure and agency to reduce health inequalities
by Abel, Thomas & Frohlich, Katherine L.
- 245-253 The politics of place(ment): Problematising the provision of hepatitis C treatment within opiate substitution clinics
by Rance, Jake & Newland, Jamee & Hopwood, Max & Treloar, Carla
- 254-262 How does the business cycle affect eating habits?
by Dave, Dhaval M. & Kelly, Inas Rashad
- 263-272 Medical innovation and age-specific trends in health care utilization: Findings and implications
by Wong, Albert & Wouterse, Bram & Slobbe, Laurentius C.J. & Boshuizen, Hendriek C. & Polder, Johan J.
2012, Volume 74, Issue 1
- 6-13 Globalisation and health inequalities: Can a human rights paradigm create space for civil society action?
by London, Leslie & Schneider, Helen
- 14-19 Re-interpreting the citizen consumer: Alternative consumer activism and the rights to health and development
by Khoo, Su-ming
- 20-27 Cross-border mobility of health professionals: Contesting patients’ right to health
by Plotnikova, Evgeniya Vadimovna
- 28-35 Mind the gap: Access to ARV medication, rights and the politics of scale in South Africa
by Jones, Peris Sean
- 36-43 The provision of accessible, acceptable health care in rural remote areas and the right to health: Bedouin in the North East region of Jordan
by Lewando Hundt, Gillian & Alzaroo, Salah & Hasna, Fadia & Alsmeiran, Mohammed
- 44-51 Rights-based approaches to addressing food poverty and food insecurity in Ireland and UK
by Dowler, Elizabeth A. & O’Connor, Deirdre
- 52-57 Public opinion and support for government AIDS policies in sub-Saharan Africa
by Youde, Jeremy
- 58-66 Long-run effects of fetal influenza exposure: Evidence from Switzerland
by Neelsen, Sven & Stratmann, Thomas
- 67-74 How does the social environment ‘get into the mind’? Epigenetics at the intersection of social and psychiatric epidemiology
by Toyokawa, Satoshi & Uddin, Monica & Koenen, Karestan C. & Galea, Sandro
- 75-83 History of socioeconomic disadvantage and allostatic load in later life
by Gruenewald, Tara L. & Karlamangla, Arun S. & Hu, Perry & Stein-Merkin, Sharon & Crandall, Carolyn & Koretz, Brandon & Seeman, Teresa E.
- 84-91 Relative income inequality and selected health outcomes in urban Chinese youth
by Sun, Ping & Unger, Jennifer B. & Palmer, Paula & Ma, Huiyan & Xie, Bin & Sussman, Steve & Johnson, C. Anderson
- 92-100 Willingness to use ADHD treatments: A mixed methods study of perceptions by adolescents, parents, health professionals and teachers
by Bussing, Regina & Koro-Ljungberg, Mirka & Noguchi, Kenji & Mason, Dana & Mayerson, Gillian & Garvan, Cynthia W.
2011, Volume 73, Issue 12
- 1675-1682 Organizational justice at school and its associations with pupils’ psychosocial school environment, health, and wellbeing
by Elovainio, Marko & Pietikäinen, Minna & Luopa, Pauliina & Kivimäki, Mika & Ferrie, Jane E. & Jokela, Jukka & Suominen, Sakari & Vahtera, Jussi & Virtanen, Marianna
- 1683-1688 Distinct impact of education and income on habitual exercise: A cross-sectional analysis in a rural city in Japan
by Murakami, Keiko & Hashimoto, Hideki & Lee, Jung Su & Kawakubo, Kiyoshi & Mori, Katsumi & Akabayashi, Akira
- 1689-1697 The contextual effects of social capital on health: A cross-national instrumental variable analysis
by Kim, Daniel & Baum, Christopher F. & Ganz, Michael L. & Subramanian, S.V. & Kawachi, Ichiro
- 1698-1706 Residential mobility within England and urban–rural inequalities in mortality
by Riva, Mylène & Curtis, Sarah & Norman, Paul
- 1707-1716 Association between neighborhood walkability, cardiorespiratory fitness and body-mass index
by Hoehner, Christine M. & Handy, Susan L. & Yan, Yan & Blair, Steven N. & Berrigan, David
- 1717-1724 The social context of food insecurity among persons living with HIV/AIDS in rural Uganda
by Tsai, Alexander C. & Bangsberg, David R. & Emenyonu, Nneka & Senkungu, Jude K. & Martin, Jeffrey N. & Weiser, Sheri D.
- 1725-1732 Beyond debt. A moderator analysis of the relationship between perceived financial strain and mental health
by Selenko, Eva & Batinic, Bernad
- 1733-1740 The impact of causal attributions on diagnosis and successful referral of depressed patients in primary care
by van den Boogaard, Th. Michael & Verhaak, P.F.M. & Dyck, Richard van & Spinhoven, Philip
- 1741-1747 "The Most Important Test You’ll Ever Take"?: Attitudes toward confidential carrier matching and open individual testing among modern-religious Jews in Israel
by Frumkin, Ayala & Raz, Aviad E. & Plesser-Duvdevani, Morasha & Lieberman, Sari
- 1748-1755 Circus monkeys or change agents? Civil society advocacy for HIV/AIDS in adverse policy environments
by Spicer, Neil & Harmer, Andrew & Aleshkina, Julia & Bogdan, Daryna & Chkhatarashvili, Ketevan & Murzalieva, Gulgun & Rukhadze, Natia & Samiev, Arnol & Walt, Gill
- 1756-1765 Is blood thicker than water? Peer effects in stent utilization among Floridian cardiologists
by Huesch, Marco D.
- 1766-1774 Measuring the outcomes of long-term care
by Forder, Julien E. & Caiels, James
- 1775-1783 The ‘cultural inflation of morbidity’ during the English mortality decline: A new look
by Gorsky, Martin & Guntupalli, Aravinda & Harris, Bernard & Hinde, Andrew
2011, Volume 73, Issue 11
- 1575-1584 Rising premature mortality in the UK’s persistently deprived areas: Only a Scottish phenomenon?
by Norman, Paul & Boyle, Paul & Exeter, Daniel & Feng, Zhiqiang & Popham, Frank
- 1585-1592 The ecology of unhealthy places: Violence, birthweight, and the importance of territoriality in structurally disadvantaged communities
by Kane, Robert J.
- 1593-1599 The psychological impact of chronic environmental adversity: Responding to prolonged drought
by Stain, Helen J. & Kelly, Brian & Carr, Vaughan J. & Lewin, Terry J. & Fitzgerald, Michael & Fragar, Lyn
- 1600-1607 Risky health environments: Women sex workers’ struggles to find safe, secure and non-exploitative housing in Canada’s poorest postal code
by Lazarus, L. & Chettiar, J. & Deering, K. & Nabess, R. & Shannon, K.
- 1608-1617 Social inequalities in ‘sickness’: European welfare states and non-employment among the chronically ill
by van der Wel, Kjetil A. & Dahl, Espen & Thielen, Karsten
- 1618-1626 A life course perspective on migration and mental health among Asian immigrants: The role of human agency
by Gong, Fang & Xu, Jun & Fujishiro, Kaori & Takeuchi, David T.
- 1627-1634 Associations between unemployment and major depressive disorder: Evidence from an international, prospective study (the predict cohort)
by Jefferis, Barbara J. & Nazareth, Irwin & Marston, Louise & Moreno-Kustner, Berta & Bellón, Juan Ángel & Svab, Igor & Rotar, Danica & Geerlings, Mirjam I. & Xavier, Miguel & Goncalves-Pereira, Manuel & Vicente, Benjamin & Saldivia, Sandra & Aluoja, Anu & Kalda, Ruth & King, Michael
- 1635-1643 The influence of indigenous status and community indigenous composition on obesity and diabetes among Mexican adults
by Stoddard, Pamela & Handley, Margaret A. & Vargas Bustamante, Arturo & Schillinger, Dean
- 1644-1652 Quality and quantity: The role of social interactions in self-reported individual health
by Fiorillo, Damiano & Sabatini, Fabio
- 1653-1660 Maternal social capital and birth outcomes in the mother–child cohort in Crete, Greece (Rhea study)
by Kritsotakis, George & Vassilaki, Maria & Chatzi, Leda & Georgiou, Vaggelis & Philalithis, Anastassios E. & Kogevinas, Manolis & Koutis, Antonis
- 1661-1668 Choreographies of sperm donations: Dilemmas of intimacy in lesbian couple donor conception
by Nordqvist, Petra
- 1669-1673 “Cutting” on cancer: Attitudes about cancer spread and surgery among primary care patients in the USA
by James, Aimee & Daley, Christine M. & Greiner, K.A.
2011, Volume 73, Issue 10
- 1445-1448 Is unimpeded marketing for breast milk substitutes responsible for the decline in breastfeeding in the Philippines? An exploratory survey and focus group analysis
by Sobel, Howard L. & Iellamo, Alessandro & Raya, René R. & Padilla, Alexander A. & Olivé, Jean-Marc & Nyunt-U, Soe
- 1452-1459 Why is UK medicine no longer a self-regulating profession? The role of scandals involving “bad apple” doctors
by Dixon-Woods, Mary & Yeung, Karen & Bosk, Charles L.
- 1460-1468 Deliberating Tarceva: A case study of how British NHS managers decide whether to purchase a high-cost drug in the shadow of NICE guidance
by Hughes, David & Doheny, Shane
- 1469-1476 Anthropology, organ transplantation and the immune system: Resituating commodity and gift exchange
by Kierans, Ciara
- 1477-1489 Access to health care, reproductive health and disability: A large scale survey in Sierra Leone
by Trani, Jean-Francois & Browne, Joyce & Kett, Maria & Bah, Osman & Morlai, Teddy & Bailey, Nicki & Groce, Nora
- 1490-1497 Melting bones: The social construction of postmenopausal osteoporosis in Turkey
by Erol, Maral
- 1498-1507 Relying on nature’s pharmacy in rural Burkina Faso: Empirical evidence of the determinants of traditional medicine consumption
by Pouliot, Mariève
- 1508-1516 Time-bound opportunity costs of informal care: Consequences for access to professional care, caregiver support, and labour supply estimates
by Hassink, Wolter H.J. & Van den Berg, Bernard
- 1517-1524 Allocation of household responsibilities influences change in dietary behavior
by Nelson, Candace C. & Sapp, Amy & Berkman, Lisa F. & Li, Yi & Sorensen, Glorian
- 1525-1533 Aging in neighborhoods differing in walkability and income: Associations with physical activity and obesity in older adults
by King, Abby C. & Sallis, James F. & Frank, Lawrence D. & Saelens, Brian E. & Cain, Kelli & Conway, Terry L. & Chapman, James E. & Ahn, David K. & Kerr, Jacqueline
- 1534-1542 Household capacities, vulnerabilities and food insecurity: Shifts in food insecurity in urban and rural Ethiopia during the 2008 food crisis
by Hadley, Craig & Linzer, Drew A. & Belachew, Tefera & Mariam, Abebe Gebre & Tessema, Fasil & Lindstrom, David
- 1543-1550 Why socially deprived populations have a faster resting heart rate: Impact of behaviour, life course anthropometry, and biology – the RECORD Cohort Study
by Chaix, Basile & Jouven, Xavier & Thomas, Frédérique & Leal, Cinira & Billaudeau, Nathalie & Bean, Kathy & Kestens, Yan & Jëgo, Bertrand & Pannier, Bruno & Danchin, Nicolas
- 1551-1560 Immigration and the health of U.S. black adults: Does country of origin matter?
by Hamilton, Tod G. & Hummer, Robert A.
- 1561-1568 Income inequality, social capital and self-rated health and dental status in older Japanese
by Aida, Jun & Kondo, Katsunori & Kondo, Naoki & Watt, Richard G. & Sheiham, Aubrey & Tsakos, Georgios
2011, Volume 73, Issue 9
- 1285-1289 Consumers of eldercare in Sweden: The semblance of choice
by Meinow, Bettina & Parker, Marti G. & Thorslund, Mats
- 1292-1301 Understanding high-risk behavior among non-dominant minorities: A social resistance framework
by Factor, Roni & Kawachi, Ichiro & Williams, David R.
- 1302-1311 Neighborhood conditions are associated with maternal health behaviors and pregnancy outcomes
by Vinikoor-Imler, L.C. & Messer, L.C. & Evenson, K.R. & Laraia, B.A.
- 1312-1322 Race/ethnic differences in adult mortality: The role of perceived stress and health behaviors
by Krueger, Patrick M. & Saint Onge, Jarron M. & Chang, Virginia W.
- 1323-1331 Parenthood and trajectories of change in body weight over the life course
by Umberson, Debra & Liu, Hui & Mirowsky, John & Reczek, Corinne
- 1332-1339 Does the sale of sweetened beverages at school affect children’s weight?
by Cunningham, Solveig A. & Zavodny, Madeline
- 1340-1348 Distal and variably proximal causes: Education, obesity, and health
by Schafer, Markus H. & Ferraro, Kenneth F.
- 1349-1356 How do obese individuals perceive and respond to the different types of obesity stigma that they encounter in their daily lives? A qualitative study
by Lewis, Sophie & Thomas, Samantha L. & Blood, R. Warwick & Castle, David J. & Hyde, Jim & Komesaroff, Paul A.
- 1357-1364 Resistance and vulnerability to stigmatization in abortion work
by O’Donnell, Jenny & Weitz, Tracy A. & Freedman, Lori R.
- 1365-1370 How does network structure affect partnerships for promoting physical activity? Evidence from Brazil and Colombia
by Parra, Diana C. & Dauti, Marsela & Harris, Jenine K. & Reyes, Lissette & Malta, Deborah C. & Brownson, Ross C. & Quintero, Mario A. & Pratt, Michael
- 1371-1377 Dying cases in emergency places: Caring for the dying in emergency departments
by Bailey, Cara J. & Murphy, Roger & Porock, Davina
- 1378-1385 Where do human organs come from? Trends of generalized and restricted altruism in organ donations
by Boas, Hagai
- 1386-1394 Life of a partnership: The process of collaboration between the National Tuberculosis Program and the hospitals in Yogyakarta, Indonesia
by Probandari, Ari & Utarini, Adi & Lindholm, Lars & Hurtig, Anna-Karin
- 1395-1400 The effect of national suicide prevention programs on suicide rates in 21 OECD nations
by Matsubayashi, Tetsuya & Ueda, Michiko
- 1401-1407 The impact of fiscal decentralization on infant mortality rates: Evidence from OECD countries
by Jiménez-Rubio, Dolores
- 1408-1415 The effect of change in mental disorder status on change in spousal mental health: The HUNT study
by Idstad, Mariann & Røysamb, Espen & Tambs, Kristian
- 1416-1421 Do general practitioners overestimate the health of their patients with lower education?
by Kelly-Irving, Michelle & Delpierre, Cyrille & Schieber, Anne-Cécile & Lepage, Benoit & Rolland, Christine & Afrité, Anissa & Pascal, Jean & Cases, Chantal & Lombrail, Pierre & Lang, Thierry
- 1422-1427 The very high sex ratio in rural China: Impact on the psychosocial wellbeing of unmarried men
by Zhou, Xu Dong & Wang, Xiao Lei & Li, Lu & Hesketh, Therese
- 1428-1435 Gender, social engagement, and limitations in late life
by Thomas, Patricia A.
- 1436-1443 Sources of somatization: Exploring the roles of insecurity in relationships and styles of anger experience and expression
by Liu, Liang & Cohen, Shiri & Schulz, Marc S. & Waldinger, Robert J.
2011, Volume 73, Issue 8
- 1113-1122 Using matched areas to explore international differences in population health
by Mitchell, Richard & Dujardin, Claire & Popham, Frank & Farfan Portet, Maria-Isabel & Thomas, Isabelle & Lorant, Vincent
- 1123-1132 Does country influence the health burden of informal care? An international comparison between Belgium and Great Britain
by Dujardin, Claire & Farfan-Portet, Maria-Isabel & Mitchell, Richard & Popham, Frank & Thomas, Isabelle & Lorant, Vincent
- 1133-1144 The role of daily mobility in mental health inequalities: The interactive influence of activity space and neighbourhood of residence on depression
by Vallée, Julie & Cadot, Emmanuelle & Roustit, Christelle & Parizot, Isabelle & Chauvin, Pierre
- 1145-1151 Place effects for areas defined by administrative boundaries: A life course analysis of mortality and cause specific morbidity in Scania, Sweden
by Ohlsson, Henrik & Merlo, Juan
- 1152-1162 Mismatched racial identities, colourism, and health in Toronto and Vancouver
by Veenstra, Gerry
- 1163-1168 Racial and ethnic disparities in hospital care resulting from air pollution in excess of federal standards
by Hackbarth, Andrew D. & Romley, John A. & Goldman, Dana P.
- 1169-1177 The role of migration in the development of depressive symptoms among Latino immigrant parents in the USA
by Ornelas, India J. & Perreira, Krista M.
- 1178-1185 Lifetime income patterns and alcohol consumption: Investigating the association between long- and short-term income trajectories and drinking
by Cerdá, Magdalena & Johnson-Lawrence, Vicki D. & Galea, Sandro
- 1186-1193 Estimates of peer effects in adolescent smoking across twenty six European Countries
by McVicar, Duncan
- 1194-1199 Instrumental variable estimation of the effect of prayer on depression
by Denny, Kevin J.
- 1200-1207 Techno-politics of genomic nationalism: Tracing genomics and its use in drug regulation in Japan and Taiwan
by Kuo, Wen-Hua
- 1208-1213 Colleague interactions and new drug prescribing behavior: The case of the initial prescription of antidepressants in Taiwanese medical centers
by Lin, Shu-Jou & Jan, Kuan-An & Kao, Jen-Tse
- 1214-1221 A multilevel intervention for HIV-affected families in China: Together for Empowerment Activities (TEA)
by Li, Li & Ji, Guoping & Liang, Li-Jung & Ding, Yingying & Tian, Junru & Xiao, Yongkang
- 1222-1229 “Everything that I thought that they would be, they weren’t:” Family systems as support and impediment to recovery
by EnglandKennedy, Elizabeth Sara & Horton, Sarah
- 1230-1237 “But Then I Learned…”: Weight loss surgery patients negotiate surgery discourses
by Drew, Patricia
- 1238-1245 Uncertainty in medicine: Meanings of menopause and hormone replacement therapy in medical textbooks
by Niland, Patricia & Lyons, Antonia C.
- 1246-1248 Influence of Valentine’s Day and Halloween on Birth Timing
by Levy, Becca R. & Chung, Pil H. & Slade, Martin D.
- 1249-1256 Where do pharmaceuticals on the market originate? An analysis of the informal drug supply in Cotonou, Benin
by Baxerres, Carine & Le Hesran, Jean-Yves
- 1257-1265 Comparing HIV-related symbolic stigma in six African countries: Social representations in young people’s narratives
by Winskell, Kate & Hill, Elizabeth & Obyerodhyambo, Oby
- 1266-1274 Maternal health and knowledge and infant health outcomes in the Ariaal people of northern Kenya
by Miller, Elizabeth M.
- 1275-1283 Dynamics of change in the practice of female genital cutting in Senegambia: Testing predictions of social convention theory
by Shell-Duncan, Bettina & Wander, Katherine & Hernlund, Ylva & Moreau, Amadou
2011, Volume 73, Issue 7
- 945-952 Implementing ‘translational’ biomedical research: Convergence and divergence among clinical and basic scientists
by Morgan, Myfanwy & Barry, Christine A. & Donovan, Jenny L. & Sandall, Jane & Wolfe, Charles D.A. & Boaz, Annette
- 953-959 The interplay of structure and agency in health promotion: Integrating a concept of structural change and the policy dimension into a multi-level model and applying it to health promotion principles and practice
by Rütten, Alfred & Gelius, Peter
- 960-969 Effects of a health-social partnership transitional program on hospital readmission: A randomized controlled trial
by Wong, Frances Kam-yuet & Ho, May M. & Yeung, SikYing & Tam, Stanley K. & Chow, Susan K.
- 970-977 Physician shortages in rural Vietnam: Using a labor market approach to inform policy
by Vujicic, Marko & Shengelia, Bakhuti & Alfano, Marco & Thu, Ha Bui
- 978-985 An extension in eligibility for free primary care and avoidable hospitalisations: A natural experiment
by Nolan, Anne
- 986-994 Product development public–private partnerships for public health: A systematic review using qualitative data
by De Pinho Campos, Katia & Norman, Cameron D. & Jadad, Alejandro R.
- 995-1002 Living in the “land of no”? Consumer perceptions of healthy lifestyle portrayals in direct-to-consumer advertisements of prescription drugs
by Frosch, Dominick L. & May, Suepattra G. & Tietbohl, Caroline & Pagán, José A.
- 1003-1013 Difficulties leaving home: A cross-sectional study of delays in seeking emergency obstetric care in Herat, Afghanistan
by Hirose, Atsumi & Borchert, Matthias & Niksear, Homa & Alkozai, Ahmad Shah & Cox, Jonathan & Gardiner, Julian & Osmani, Khadija Ruina & Filippi, Véronique
- 1014-1018 Newborn screening and maternal diagnosis: Rethinking family benefit
by Buchbinder, Mara & Timmermans, Stefan
- 1019-1027 Racial taxonomy in genomics
by Bliss, Catherine
- 1028-1036 How surgeons design treatment recommendations in orthopaedic surgery
by Hudak, Pamela L. & Clark, Shannon J. & Raymond, Geoffrey
- 1037-1044 “All Cubans are doctors!” news coverage of health and bioexceptionalism in Cuba
by Briggs, Charles L.
- 1045-1053 Responding to racism: Insights on how racism can damage health from an urban study of Australian Aboriginal people
by Ziersch, Anna M. & Gallaher, Gilbert & Baum, Fran & Bentley, Michael
- 1054-1061 “Meet me at the hill where we used to park”: Interpersonal processes associated with victim recantation
by Bonomi, Amy E. & Gangamma, Rashmi & Locke, Chris R. & Katafiasz, Heather & Martin, David
- 1062-1070 Dynamics of stigma in abortion work: Findings from a pilot study of the Providers Share Workshop
by Harris, Lisa Hope & Debbink, Michelle & Martin, Lisa & Hassinger, Jane
- 1071-1079 The effect of food insecurity on mental health: Panel evidence from rural Zambia
by Cole, Steven M. & Tembo, Gelson
- 1080-1087 Community resilience, quality childcare, and preschoolers’ mental health: A three-city comparison
by Maggi, Stefania & Roberts, William & MacLennan, David & D’Angiulli, Amedeo
- 1088-1096 Childhood socio-economic status and the onset, persistence, and severity of DSM-IV mental disorders in a US national sample
by McLaughlin, Katie A. & Breslau, Joshua & Green, Jennifer Greif & Lakoma, Matthew D. & Sampson, Nancy A. & Zaslavsky, Alan M. & Kessler, Ronald C.
- 1097-1104 Individual, study, and neighborhood level characteristics associated with peer recruitment of young illicit drug users in New York City: Optimizing respondent driven sampling
by Rudolph, Abby E. & Crawford, Natalie D. & Latkin, Carl & White, Kellee & Benjamin, Ebele O. & Jones, Kandice & Fuller, Crystal M.
- 1105-1112 The global financial crisis and psychological health in a sample of Australian older adults: A longitudinal study
by Sargent-Cox, Kerry & Butterworth, Peter & Anstey, Kaarin J.
2011, Volume 73, Issue 6
- 793-800 Towards a sociology of diagnosis: Reflections and opportunities
by Jutel, Annemarie & Nettleton, Sarah
- 801-807 Diagnosis and nosology in primary care
by Armstrong, David
- 808-815 Risk, significance and biomedicalisation of a new population: Older women's experience of osteoporosis screening
by Salter, Charlotte Ingrid & Howe, Amanda & McDaid, Lisa & Blacklock, Jeanette & Lenaghan, Elizabeth & Shepstone, Lee
- 816-824 Regulating diagnosis in post-genomic medicine: Re-aligning clinical judgment?
by Bourret, Pascale & Keating, Peter & Cambrosio, Alberto
- 825-832 'Get with the Program!': Pharmaceutical marketing, symptom checklists and self-diagnosis
by Ebeling, Mary
- 833-842 Listening to Lyrica: contested illnesses and pharmaceutical determinism
by Barker, Kristin K.
- 843-850 Patchwork diagnoses: The production of coherence, uncertainty, and manageable bodies
by Gardner, John & Dew, Kevin & Stubbe, Maria & Dowell, Tony & Macdonald, Lindsay
- 851-857 Making sure. A comparative micro-analysis of diagnostic instruments in medical practice
by Schubert, Cornelius
- 858-865 Diagnosis, psychiatry and neurology: The case of Huntington Disease
by Halpin, Michael
- 866-872 "Morphology is a witness which doesn't lie": Diagnosis by similarity relation and analogical inference in clinical forensic medicine
by Rees, Gethin
- 873-881 Medical residents' use of narrative templates in storytelling and diagnosis
by Davenport, Nancy H.M.
- 882-888 Biopolitical endpoints: Diagnosing a deserving British nuclear test veteran
by Trundle, Catherine
- 889-896 A disorder of anger and aggression: Children's perspectives on attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder in the UK
by Singh, Ilina
- 897-903 Cancer diagnosis as discursive capture: Phenomenological repercussions of being positioned within dominant constructions of cancer
by Willig, Carla
- 904-911 Managing hope, denial or temporal anomie? Informal cancer carers' accounts of spouses' cancer diagnoses
by Olson, Rebecca Eileen
- 912-921 Bad news and first impressions: Patient and family caregiver accounts of learning the cancer diagnosis
by Schaepe, Karen Sue
- 922-928 Talking about colds and flu: The lay diagnosis of two common illnesses among older British people
by Prior, Lindsay & Evans, Meirion R. & Prout, Hayley
- 929-938 Constructing illness: How the public in eight Western nations respond to a clinical description of "schizophrenia"
by Olafsdottir, Sigrun & Pescosolido, Bernice A.
- 939-943 From diagnosis to social diagnosis
by Brown, Phil & Lyson, Mercedes & Jenkins, Tania
2011, Volume 73, Issue 5
- 625-628 The promise of human rights for global health: A programmed deception? A commentary on Schrecker, Chapman, Labonté and De Vogli (2010) "Advancing health equity in the global market place: How human rights can help"
by Reubi, David
- 629-631 Health and human rights against the marketplace: A response to Reubi
by Schrecker, Ted & Chapman, Audrey R. & Labonte, Ronald & De Vogli, Roberto
- 632-635 Agency versus structure: Genetics, group membership, and a new twist on an old debate
by Angel, Ronald J.
- 636-638 Horses for courses: The need for pragmatism and realism as well as balance and caution. A commentary on Angel
by Craddock, Nick
- 639-642 Agency versus structure or nature versus nurture: When the new twist on an old debate is not that new after all: A commentary on Angel
by Fotaki, Marianna
- 643-644 A response to the commentaries by Craddock and Fotaki
by Angel, Ronald J.
- 645-654 What's at stake? Genetic information from the perspective of people with epilepsy and their family members
by Shostak, Sara & Zarhin, Dana & Ottman, Ruth
- 655-662 Institutional policy learning and public consultation: The Canadian xenotransplantation experience
by Jones, Mavis & Einsiedel, Edna
- 663-667 The relationship between social networks and pathways to kidney transplant parity: Evidence from black Americans in Chicago
by Browne, Teri
- 668-675 The problem of "significant risk": Exploring the public health impact of criminalizing HIV non-disclosure
by Mykhalovskiy, Eric
- 676-684 The perils of polycentric governance of infectious disease in South Africa
by Lieberman, Evan S.
- 685-692 Health and welfare effects of integrating AIDS treatment with food assistance in resource constrained settings: A systematic review of theory and evidence
by Tirivayi, Nyasha & Groot, Wim
- 693-701 Nothing can defeat combined hands (Abashize hamwe ntakibananira): Protective processes and resilience in Rwandan children and families affected by HIV/AIDS
by Betancourt, Theresa Stichick & Meyers-Ohki, Sarah & Stulac, Sara N. & Elizabeth Barrera, Amy & Mushashi, Christina & Beardslee, William R.
- 702-710 Out of the reach of children? Young people's health-seeking practices and agency in Africa's newly-emerging therapeutic landscapes
by Hampshire, Kate R. & Porter, Gina & Owusu, Samuel Asiedu & Tanle, Augustine & Abane, Albert
- 711-718 Early life undernutrition and chronic diseases at older ages: The effects of the Dutch famine on cardiovascular diseases and diabetes
by Portrait, France & Teeuwiszen, Erica & Deeg, Dorly
- 719-728 How physical activity shapes, and is shaped by, adolescent friendships
by de la Haye, Kayla & Robins, Garry & Mohr, Philip & Wilson, Carlene
- 729-736 Unfulfilled expectations and symptoms of depression among young adults
by Mossakowski, Krysia N.
- 737-743 Moving to Opportunity: Does long-term exposure to 'low-poverty' neighborhoods make a difference for adolescents?
by Leventhal, Tama & Dupéré, Véronique
- 744-751 Migration and mortality trajectories: A study of individuals born in the rural community of Överkalix, Sweden
by Tinghög, Petter & Carstensen, John & Kaati, Gunnar & Edvinsson, Sören & Sjöström, Michael & Bygren, Lars Olov
- 752-758 Sociodemographic and geographic variability in smoking in the U.S.: A multilevel analysis of the 2006-2007 Current Population Survey, Tobacco Use Supplement
by Chahine, T. & Subramanian, S.V. & Levy, J.I.
- 759-767 Religious social capital: Its measurement and utility in the study of the social determinants of health
by Maselko, Joanna & Hughes, Cayce & Cheney, Rose
- 768-774 Indices of socioeconomic position across the life course as predictors of coronary calcification in black and white men and women: Coronary artery risk development in young adults study
by Matthews, Karen A. & Schwartz, Joseph E. & Cohen, Sheldon
- 775-782 "He's more typically female because he's not afraid to cry": Connecting heterosexual gender relations and men's depression
by Oliffe, John L. & Kelly, Mary T. & Bottorff, Joan L. & Johnson, Joy L. & Wong, Sabrina T.
- 783-792 Dyadic planning of health-behavior change after prostatectomy: A randomized-controlled planning intervention
by Burkert, Silke & Scholz, Urte & Gralla, Oliver & Roigas, Jan & Knoll, Nina
2011, Volume 73, Issue 4
- 483-490 Health status and health care utilization following collective trauma: A 3-year national study of the 9/11 terrorist attacks in the United States
by Holman, E. Alison & Silver, Roxane Cohen
- 491-497 Vulnerability to fat-stigma in women's everyday relationships
by Brewis, Alexandra A. & Hruschka, Daniel J. & Wutich, Amber
- 498-506 Labeling of mental disorders and stigma in young people
by Wright, Annemarie & Jorm, Anthony F. & Mackinnon, Andrew J.
- 507-514 Dichotomies of collectivism and individualism in bioethics: Selective abortion debates and issues of self-determination in Japan and 'the West'
by Kato, Masae & Sleeboom-Faulkner, Margaret
- 515-521 Theorising the 'human subject' in biomedical research: International clinical trials and bioethics discourses in contemporary Sri Lanka
by Sariola, Salla & Simpson, Bob
- 522-529 Innovation and the English National Health Service: A qualitative study of the independent sector treatment centre programme
by Turner, Simon & Allen, Pauline & Bartlett, Will & Pérotin, Virginie
- 530-534 Prevention better than cure? Health consumer and patients' organisations and public health
by Baggott, Rob & Jones, Kathryn L.
- 535-539 Physician-leaders and hospital performance: Is there an association?
by Goodall, Amanda H.
- 540-549 Bypassing health providers: The quest for better price and quality of health care in Chad
by Gauthier, Bernard & Wane, Waly
- 550-558 Dynamics of social health insurance development: Examining the determinants of Chinese basic health insurance coverage with panel data
by Liu, Jun-Qiang
- 559-567 Does the financial protection of health insurance vary across providers? Vietnam's experience
by Sepehri, Ardeshir & Sarma, Sisira & Oguzoglu, Umut
- 568-575 Mortality among the working age population receiving incapacity benefits in New Zealand, 1981-2004
by Shaw, Caroline & Blakely, Tony & Tobias, Martin
- 576-585 Trends in malnutrition among children in India: Growing inequalities across different economic groups
by Pathak, Praveen Kumar & Singh, Abhishek
- 586-594 The impact of Immigration and Customs Enforcement on immigrant health: Perceptions of immigrants in Everett, Massachusetts, USA
by Hacker, Karen & Chu, Jocelyn & Leung, Carolyn & Marra, Robert & Pirie, Alex & Brahimi, Mohamed & English, Margaret & Beckmann, Joshua & Acevedo-Garcia, Dolores & Marlin, Robert P.
- 595-603 Sex inequalities in physical and mental functioning of British, Finnish, and Japanese civil servants: Role of job demand, control and work hours
by Sekine, Michikazu & Tatsuse, Takashi & Kagamimori, Sadanobu & Chandola, Tarani & Cable, Noriko & Marmot, Michael & Martikainen, Pekka & Lallukka, Tea & Rahkonen, Ossi & Lahelma, Eero
- 604-614 Socioeconomic status and depression across Japan, Korea, and China: Exploring the impact of labor market structures
by Nishimura, Junko
- 615-622 Sex, stressful life events, and adult onset depression and alcohol dependence: Are men and women equally vulnerable?
by Slopen, Natalie & Williams, David R. & Fitzmaurice, Garrett M. & Gilman, Stephen E.
- 623-623 Corrigendum to: "Socioeconomic influences at different life stages on health in Guangzhou, China." [Social Science & Medicine, 72 (2011), 1884-1892]
by Elwell-Sutton, Timothy M. & Jiang, Chao Qiang & Zhang, Wei Sen & Cheng, Kar Keung & Lam, Tai Hing & Leung, Gabriel M. & Schooling, C.M.
2011, Volume 73, Issue 3
- 351-355 Has HIV/AIDS displaced other health funding priorities? Evidence from a new dataset of development aid for health
by Lordan, Grace & Tang, Kam Ki & Carmignani, Fabrizio
- 356-358 Apparent displacement of global health funding priorities: Time for some difficult decisions? A commentary on Lordan, Tang and Carmignani
by Berlan, David & Halperin, Daniel T.
- 359-366 Moving towards universal health insurance in China: Performance, issues and lessons from Thailand
by Li, Cheng & Yu, Xuan & Butler, James R.G. & Yiengprugsawan, Vasoontara & Yu, Min
- 367-374 From consent to institutions: Designing adaptive governance for genomic biobanks
by O'Doherty, Kieran C. & Burgess, Michael M. & Edwards, Kelly & Gallagher, Richard P. & Hawkins, Alice K. & Kaye, Jane & McCaffrey, Veronica & Winickoff, David E.
- 375-382 Diagnostic decision making: The last refuge for general practitioners?
by Weiss, Marjorie Cecilia